The classics

Tools    

What do you guys think about the movies that every1 calls classics. Like casablanca, citizen kane, north by northwes, the godfather, etc. Movies that critics consider the best of all time.

I'm 17, so maybe i havn't matured enuf to appreciate this movies, or maybe just the movies of my generation hav tainted my view on these types of movies, but i dont think they are that, that amazing. I mean it took me 4 viewings to get through Citizen Kane.

I can see how these movies can be viewed as the best of all time, but not in my opinion. When someone asks me the greatest movies of all time, i name movies such as The Matrix or Fight Club or Shawshank Redemption or Pulp fiction.

Arresting your development
I feel ya jonlix, I feel ya. Sometimes we have to stand back and look at the perspective of the critics that came before us. With out their influence (our MoFo grandparents) on what popped up on the screen during the silent films, black and white films and stretched to todays films, then it is possible that today's cinema would not be what it is today. Maybe they are the path setters, the ones who broke up the bread for the bread trail so that we are able to find our way to the next generation who created the srceens for us to fall in love with! Also think that the Matrix and Fight Club would not be the quality that you admire, because no one planted the seeds for the next movie masters to eat.

The Godfather at one time was your Matrix to someone else!
Remember they are classics to someone and in time younger people behind us are going to say the same thing about Fight Club. Though it is a classic to some of us.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
I generally like classic films far better than modern ones. There's plenty of films today I love, but for everyone good one there's about 100 complete pieces of shit like New York Minute, AvP, Daredevil, and so on.

Also classic films were made with an adult audience in mind and usually never downplayed people's intelligence. Now movies are made for the 13-25 year old crowd and aren't nearly as clever or witty and the dialogue for the most part only serves to over explain plot and provide cheap unfunny laughs.

Like I said that's not all modern films, but a large majority of them. Classics like North by Northwest, Casablanca, Now Voyager just had more class and professionalism to them.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by iluv2viddyfilms
...Also classic films were made with an adult audience in mind and usually never downplayed people's intelligence...
I'd never really considered that, but I think you're absolutely right.
I like the classics because they're more intelligently done. I'd venture to say that the reason they survive is because they're quality, not because all old movies are wondrous pieces of celluliod. Also, I like the fact that they were dealing with the same basic issues generations ago that I'm dealing with today. Makes me feel connected.

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelila
I'd never really considered that, but I think you're absolutely right.
I like the classics because they're more intelligently done. I'd venture to say that the reason they survive is because they're quality, not because all old movies are wondrous pieces of celluliod. Also, I like the fact that they were dealing with the same basic issues generations ago that I'm dealing with today. Makes me feel connected.
I like that, a connection (link) between past and present.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
i think that certain films that are classics have deserved status but some others are classics because it had one good review or something.

Hey guys what would you class a classic or classic requirements for modern day films. I think classics for me pesonaly wouldn't really be any big box office hits because i just dont think they make them like they used to. I think Fight Club definately, Pulp Fiction, The Godfather, Scary movie (dont judge me).

Pulp Fiction will be a classic down the road, heck it already is. Unfortunately. I guess it should be a classic but maybe in the same way Coffy is a classic, not how Casablanca is a classic. Of recent films I think these will go down on AFI's 100 more years, 100 more great movies lists.

Requiem for a Dream
Eyes Wide Shut
Lost in Translation

Amelie (well if they did foreign flicks)

and and and and and and the very underrated but amazing

American Rhapsody "so you're the little communist girl next door!"

oh and maybe The Dreamers too, maybe.

Lord of the Rings will be remembered as a fad and how public and critical taste can be so collectively awful.

Bug Planet Proximus
Originally Posted by undercoverlover
i think that certain films that are classics have deserved status but some others are classics because it had one good review or something.
A member of MoFo a while back said something that I agree with. And that is, a classic is only made a classic by it's popularity(not necessarily at the time). Therefore, quality has nothing to do with it. Example: I've heard the words Titanic and classic put together. At first I did jump, but I then settled down knowing that in some respects it could be seen as a classic hollywood blockbuster of the nineties.
*shudder*
i feel so dirty.
i'm gonna go take a shower now.

[quote=D'yer Mak'er]A member of MoFo a while back said something that I agree with. And that is, a classic is only made a classic by it's popularity(not necessarily at the time). Therefore, quality has nothing to do with it. Example: I've heard the words Titanic and classic put together.QUOTE]

Well I have heard The Matrix and classic put together. I've heard Freddy Got Fingered and classic put together, I've heard The Girl Next Door and classic put together.

So I don't think a classic is made only by its popularity. Quality has something to do with it usually.

Bad Morther****er
I think when words like classic or best ever get thrown around it may be a diservice of sorts. While I think it encourages viewing of prodominatly good movies, I also think sometimes it discourages original thought and critisism about film, because people say that was great, but can tell you why. On the occasion that you may disagree with a movie being elevated into the film canon, it leads to the sophmoric arguments of "well it is considered one of the greatest movies of all time, so you don't know what you're talking about." I've gotten that one on a few occasions.
Justice will be served/ And the battle will rage/ This big dog will fight/ When you rattle his cage/ And you’ll be sorry that you messed with the U.S. of A./ Cause we`ll put a boot in your ass/ It`s the American way.
Courtesy Of The Red, White & Blue - Toby Keith

Originally Posted by D'yer Mak'er
A member of MoFo a while back said something that I agree with. And that is, a classic is only made a classic by it's popularity(not necessarily at the time). Therefore, quality has nothing to do with it. Example: I've heard the words Titanic and classic put together. At first I did jump, but I then settled down knowing that in some respects it could be seen as a classic hollywood blockbuster of the nineties.
*shudder*
i feel so dirty.
i'm gonna go take a shower now.

Want a classic? Watch this movie
Halloween The Night He Came Home!

Another would be: Star Wars A New Hope