"Slacker" films

Tools    

Rock God
I'll admit it, I'm deeply deeply in love with 90s culture, specifically "slacker" films. Really, what movies can a guy like me relate to more completely than something entitled Clerks or Reality Bites ?

any thoughts?

Ferris Bueller's Day Off qualifies, I'd say, even though it was released in 1986. Bueller isn't exactly lazy, but he's dodging school and various authority figures, so I think he counts under basic slacker criteria. And hey, if Ferris counts, why not Marty McFly, too? Mr. Strickland sure didn't hesitate to slap the label in question on him.

Get Low, Get Low, Get Low
Very hard to find followers of slacker movies
-Mallrats
-Clerks
-Dazed and Confused
-would Halfbaked count-it was released in the 90's
These are great movies...
WHAT IS THIS MONSTROSITY???!!!???

Plus a lady fan of PimpDaShizzle V2.0 and Most importantly JRS

I am having a nervous breakdance
I love "Dazed and Confused"! It's definately one of my favourite films. A masterpiece!

But the slacker film of the slacker films must be "The Big Lebowski". Not so much 90's youth cluture, perhaps, but can you be more slack than The Dude??? Also one of my favourite films!

Then of course we have the film "Slacker" by Linklater. I think everyone should see that one at least once.

Would you categorize "Gummo" and "Kids" as slacker-films?? Those are also excellent, both of them.

I too love Ferris Bueller's Day Off, but isn't that more like in the same category as films of the eighties like Breakfast Club, Can't Buy Me Love, Weekend At Bernie's and so forth? These films are actually pretty similar to the films like Reality Bites, Mallrats, Singles etc etc when you think of it. Coming-of-age kind of stuff. But there are differences. At least I think so. What do you think?

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

i'm not to keen on the so called "slacker genre"....s.s..s..
....k.k..k..but i liked 'bottle rocket'.....

and maybe one of youse could clear this up for me. i'm not sure if "slacker" implies a certain economic bracket... might one include stuff like 'metropolitan' and its ilk? chris eigeman strikes me as THE "ne'er-do-well" of the nineties. if one accepts this as roughly equivalent to a slacker, then i suppose you could include movies like 'metropolitan' and 'barcelona'.

taking it a step further then, the ultimate "slacker" character, i would have to say, is georgie minifer. do something useful with himself? riff raff!

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally posted by linespalsy
and maybe one of youse could clear this up for me. i'm not sure if "slacker" implies a certain economic bracket... might one include stuff like 'metropolitan' and its ilk? chris eigeman strikes me as the ultimate "ne'er-do-well". if one accepts this as roughly equivalent to a slacker, then i suppose you could include movies like 'metropolitan' and 'barcelona'.
You know, that struck me too. I mean, what you said about "Barcelona" and that. I guess you can call the genre Generation X, or something. Some of the films by Hal Hartley could also fit in the category.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
1990's "slacker" cinema? Speaking as someone who survived the early 90's (and stubbornly refuses to admit that they're over.. Hell, I'm going to Lollapalooza this year, they just re-released Sonic Youth's Dirty as a 2 cd set, The Breeders just reformed, so did Mudhoney...so maybe they're NOT!) I love this whole sub Genre of movies.

Some really good films:

S.F.W.
The Doom Generation
Slacker (obviously)
Clerks
Mallrats
Chasing Amy
True Romance
Hype!
1991: The Year That Punk Broke

Also, they aren't really 1990's films, but everyone who's into this whole deal should seriously watch the films of Jim Jarmusch, especially Stranger Than Paradise, and Mystery Train.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I must become Caligari..!
Yeh the bast slacker film has to Be linkladers slacker
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...