My little Oscar rant.

Tools    

Rock God
Every year the Oscars seem to grow more and more repugnant. Maybe it's just my jaded cynicism talking, but now when I see the Academy Awards, I just think of all the needless self-promotion and left-handed politics that go on.

This year's show seemed especially crass given the fact that there was a war, and outside of the typical movie-star grandstanding, no one did anything. Ostentatious speeches about "our guys overseas" don't really change the fact that half the people on the stage are just douche-bags with awards in their hands.

I just hate the fact that Hollywood celebrities let their twisted fantasy worlds extend into their everyday lives. I mean, on the silver screen it's one thing, but to say these people are completely out of touch with reality is an understatement. The philosophy behind the whole thing is bascially "We make fantasy movies, lead fantasy lives, have fantasy families and tonight are our fantasy awards."

Michael Moore had the temerity to stand up and say what he felt should have been said, and got booed at by people who didn't want their pretentious, self-congratulating party trampled on. Get a grip, people. He can say want he wants, it's his right to. Then Roger Ebert goes and claims that Michael Moore did something wrong and he should have kept his mouth shut. Roger Ebert doesn't have to go fight in the desert, he gets paid to watch movies. Where the hell does he get off?

All I'm saying is that movies are important but they're FAKE. Actors totally forget that. Movies are not real life, and Oscar night is not real life. Yet Oscar night is what some people live for. It's sad.

Then there's the separation of art and business. If anyone, anywhere thinks the Academy Awards are about excellence in film, they're deluding themselves. Thousands of brilliant people will never make the movies they want to make and thousands of people will make movies that are better than Chicago but will never be seen by the masses.

The Oscars are about two things: money and bull****. When Halle Barry walked away with a statue in hand last year, I wanted to write a letter. When Nicole Kidman gave her speech, I wanted to write a dozen. She claimed that in spite of war, the awards were good because it's important to remember art. Two questions immediately sprang to mind:

1) What do the Academy Awards have to do with art?
2) What does Nicole Kidman have to do with art?

What she meant to say was "thank you for giving this to me and thereby furthering my cheesy-ass career.

My point (I'll shut up soon, I swear) is that the Oscars are nothing but Hollywood's annual circle-jerk. Period. Most mainstream movies do NOTHING for me, yet every year you see people up there on that stage, patting themselves on the back, pretending they do relevant, important work. I respect film as an art form TOO MUCH to respect Oscar.

My life isn't written very well.
Maybe it's just me but I think the Oscars(TM) are the cheesy awards for the cheesy actors in their cheesy movies. I mean, I don't think the Oscars(TM) symbolize anything great. It really is about the red carpet, designer gowns and all that is glitz. I personally think the SAG awards are better, even the People's Choice awards.
I think the Best Actor, Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor Oscar catagories are all about the money. But I think nominees like the sound editors, costume designers and animators deserve and really appreciate their awards. I mean they get no real attention from Hollywood anyway.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

I am having a nervous breakdance
For me the Oscars has never been about the best movies in the world, but about the biggest movies with the most successful promotion-campaigns in the world. When you've learned to accept that you can still enjoy the entertainment. The award doesn't guarantee a class A movie but possibly class A Hollywood movie.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Exactly. That is the way I feel, and have felt, for quite some time. That is why it always infuriates me when people go nuts after the Oscars, claiming unjust results [that conflict with their opinion, may I add]. What? You were expecting something different this year? The Academy Awards [to me at least] are a source of, as Pidd says, entertainment. No one expects the real best film of any given year to win, but they have some pretty damned fine video tributes every now and then, and Steve Martin is a funny guy. Why not watch?

Furthermore, I think it has become "chic" and "hip" in the last few years to hate the Oscars no matter what the results happen to suggest. If Citizen Kane was made today and it swept the awards next year, I'm sure a lot of "alternative" people wearing berets and little John Lennon glasses would sit around drinking their customised coffees and looking at their modern art while sitting in their ergonomic chairs saying, "Well, that is typical of the Academy. Best picture award. Posh, posh."

Who takes the Oscars seriously anymore? People dress up, get drunk, get statues, and vote for each other in a contest not unlike primary school elections for student council representatives. A lot of giggling, and backstabbing, and bright shiny lights.

It is fun. Hoorah.

Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
Furthermore, I think it has become "chic" and "hip" in the last few years to hate the Oscars
That, and to hate Speilberg.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

A novel adaptation.
And to have stigmata.

What's the deal with stigmata being so hip and cool anyways? They're just wounds, I mean, jeez.

Rock God
Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
Who takes the Oscars seriously anymore? People dress up, get drunk, get statues, and vote for each other in a contest not unlike primary school elections[/b]
See, even you just admitted it's totally pointless.

The actors, however, get up on stage and pretend they're God's gift to the world. THEY take it very seriously. They take it too seriously to let even a moment of realism enter their distorted little world.

Also, since when are pointless popularity contests fun ? Idiotic, maybe. A gigantic waste of time, maybe.

Hoorah, indeed.

See, even you just admitted it's totally pointless.
No I didn't.

Where did I say that? The whole point is that you get to giggle, and backstab, and give away statues, and dress up. It is fun, and that is the point.

Please don't put words into my mouth. Especially words that support your cliched "look-at-me-I'm-a-cynic" argument.

Rock God
Giggling, backstabbing, and winning statues are only fun if you're an overgrown infant .

Hollywood needs to shirk it's Jr. High mentality..... that's probably why nobody takes them seriously. If they don't want to be taken seriously, then wear clownshoes and shut the hell up about politics.

You say you hated the last Oscar ceremony, right?
You watched it again this year, right?
Tuning in next year and the year after that, right?

Right.

Rock God
Not quite. I'm done after this year. I've literally grown out of the Oscars.

Rock God
that was a great response. Do you have an argument?

I don't care if you do or not.... I'm not making this personal or anything. You're the one taking offense to my chastisement of actors you'll never meet.

I don't recall saying I was offended. I believe you. Never again. Good for you.

I have stated my argument whether you like to listen to it or not. Regardless of how accurate you think the results are, a lot of people enjoy seeing the show because of the dresses, and the faux tears, the faux modesty, the host, the video clips, the little things. The Oscars are fun for people to watch, and for stars to take part in. If it is a childish sense of fun, then so be it. I have always found that childish fun is always much more enjoyable than adult maturity.

Rock God
Some of us would like to see a genuine, adult, sincere show that honors movies that are truly excellent.

You, on the other hand, don't want that. It's just a difference in opinion. It's about what's important to you. I happen to be tired of phonies, charlatans, liars, frauds, bull**** artists, conmen, grandstanders and hypocrites posing as people who have a shred of dignity.

You're putting words into my mouth again. I haven't once [not once] said that I don't want an awards show that truly honours the right people. But you've got to face facts. A lot of people just like the Hollywood fantasy, and the Oscars are a release for them in that respect. The dresses are important. The host is important. Just because I get a kick out of the Oscar ceremony doesn't mean I don't want to see truly great movies getting honoured. Just because I watch The Simpsons doesn't mean I never tune into the news channel. It means I'm talking a time out and kicking my feet back.

Maybe your problem is not with the Academy Awards, but with the fact that they are considered the pinnacle of cinematic excellence. I got over that a long time ago, and now I can smile as I watch the best films avoid nomination, and I can say, "I wonder what Salma Hayek will wear so as that her breasts are augmented." Sure, I'd love to see an award ceremony that goes out of its way to reward the truly great films. Do I think it will happen? Nope. Do I care too much? Nope. And you know why?

Because time is the greatest award show of them all. What was the best film of 1980? Raging Bull, hands down. Did it win the best picture Oscar? Uh, no. What won that year then? Ordinary People, actually. Weird. Never even heard of it. Time renders the Oscars unimportant, we don't need another award show to do that for us. Instead we can tune out for a couple of hours every year, giggle, backstab, act like children and say, "Who cares if Chicago wins? At least Salma looked hot."

And besides [most importantly] what the Hell does it matter if a giant group of old people don't like the same movies as you?

Rock God
The fact that the Oscars are supposed to honor the greatest films and they don't makes them a joke. The fact that the people being congratulated are supposed to be the best filmmakers and they're not makes them phonies. Everything about the night reeks of superiority and high-brow credibility, but it's not.

It's not that I don't want them to have their clown parade, its the fact that in everyone's mind, it's the most important night of the entertainment industry.

You claim no one takes them seriously, anyway. Yet they get more TV, magazine and news coverage than most other award shows combined. You claim it's just for fun, yet here you've wasted how much of your time arguing over them? EVERYONE takes them seriously.... too seriously. They're ****ing clownshoes (as I've tried to make crystal clear)

The argument between you and I is over. YOU don't care that the Oscars are a sham, and I do. the end.