some comic movies should be R

Tools    

with all the comic book movies that are big hits we still have alot of bad ones out. and some my eyes could be so much better if they would let some be rated R. i understand why they limit it. but come on. wolverine is a rated R mutant. then there is ghost rider... then again the things wrong with the ghost rider series could be its own thread. anyways post what movies you think that could have been better if it was rated R

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I disagree, in that, Wolverine is, in-fact not R-rated in the comic-books, a rating doesn't make a movie, the writing does. Profanity and vulgarity doesn't turn water into wine, the actors, writers, and directors are the only ones that are capable of that. Also, with the release of The Dark Knight Rises, The Amazing Spider-Man, and The Avengers being the last three superhero movies released, I think it'd be safe to say that the players have stepped up there game, at least in my opinion.

i do agree that there has been some amazing comic book movies. but i would like to see a rated R wolverine. and im not talking about alot of cursing and or nudity. im talking about violence, the man has razor sharp claws. wolverine picks fights for the sake of fighting. though there is never going to be a rated R wolverine movie it would be cool. just because they want the movie to be appropriate for all ages. also ratings dont make the movie, but it can help.

Just another movie Guru
While I agree that Wolverine could have an R rating purely for Violence alone, I think they should do it with the Hulk.

A hulk film with all of the violence and blood that accompanies it.

A film's language certainly helps amp up the rating, but you don't want it to ruin a film either.

This is why a lot of comic book films recently have been doing well; they've balanced a nice level of realistic action with beautiful imagery, and a script that fits the characters.

I am the Watcher in the Night
I totally agree with regards to Wolverine, the violence in the comics is definitely bloody. The Wolverine, James Mangold's (Walk The Line and 3:10 To Yuma) take on an Xmen prequel is going to be rated a 15, if I'm not mistaken and that should do justice to some of Wolverine's comic book violence moments.

two can keep a secret, if one of them is dead..
I feel that a movie based on Deadpool should be R-rated. However, Ryan Reynolds already said that it's pretty well up to the studio about the idea of a R-rated Deadpool film. (you can read the rest of the article here)

for my movie reviews: letterboxd.com/raineotaku

Certain comic characters are by the very nature and tone are supposed to be R rated. Especially the violent vigilante types like The Punisher or the Merc with a Mouth as mentioned above. Sometimes the get it right like with Sin City. Sadly lots of studios will try to get a PG 13 so as to allow for a wider market and thus more money, sacrificing authenticity. Then again I still dug the first Mortal Kombat movie regardless of the lack of ultra violence.

Possibly, the best movie ever made is rated G. Though, it is not a comic book movie but a "manga" movie.

A good movie usually doesn't have much violence and profanity and these things can even reduce the artistic value of the movie.

Agreed. Most can get by with a PG 13 or lower rating, but trying to create a PG 13 movie version of certain comics will not be faithful adaptations. Then again a good many of those kinds of comics probably won't or don't need to be made into movies.

yeah I agree they should finally do an R (15 or 18 rated in the UK) movie of Deadpool and Ghost Rider (maybe finally without Nicholas Cage?) also a harder rating for a Daredevil movie would be great, far better than the family friendly outing 10 years ago. Not sure I'm ready to see The Incredible Hulk literally rip people apart though.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Only a few darker superhero comics like a Ghost rider would be improved by the rating