October Horror Challenge V2

Tools    

I thought I could make a second thread just for the organization if the thread like the first post @Camo had or we can move the whole thing here. I was loving the challenge, hopefully others will stick it out. Hope Camo gets stuff worked out and can participate.

Okay so there we go I will try and keep track of everyones progress and if @Camo want to lead again I'll delete this post but untill then this is here for everyone to stay organized.

COMPETITORS PROGRESS

AboveTheClouds: 4/31
Camo: 5/31
Jay Redrum: 31/31
cat_sidhe: 9/31
TheUsualSuspect: 8/31
Zotis: 14/31
Siddon: 26/31
Iroquois: 31/31
Ultraviolence: 10/31
Joel: 5/31Dropped Out
honeykid: 5/31
McConnaughay: 2/31
Sedai: 24/31
Raul: 2/31

Zotis 1/31
Day of the Dead (1985)

Directed by: George A. Romero

Romero has never been one of my favorite directors, but the praise this movie was getting online peaked my interest. It was not a bad movie. Some of the acting was good, but a lot of it was awfully wooden. Cardille was a decent lead, and Pilato was not a bad villain. I liked the dynamics between the survivors, civilians and soldiers quarreling, trying to get alone, testing each other, and vying for power. Richard Liberty was an interesting mad scientist. Overall it was a pretty entertaining movie.

Category: George Romero

Jay Redrum 1/31

The Tingler(1959)

Directed By: William Castle

The Tingler is a load of fun. I had never seen a Castle film before but after this I will probably watch many more. The premise is wild and very creative, the plot kinda got a little messy at the end but all in all I had a fun time watching. Also doing some research about Castles well known "gimmicks" I wish I could've seen this when it was released in theateres.

I'll give it 7 bloddy bathtub hands out of 9 Vincent Price acid trips.

Category: Castle FIlm

Zotis 2/31
They Live (1988)

Directed by: John Carpenter
Starring: Roddy Piper and Keith David

What a piece of crap. Cheesy and boring with terrible acting, plastic guns, and a 16-year-old fanfiction plot. This movie was hard to get through, cringe-worthy, and had me checking my watch and face palming. I didn't have high expectations, but I was hoping it would be a little more entertaining. Also, it was just about the furthest thing from a horror movie, so I regret choosing it. It was really more of an action movie. Meg Foster was terrible. She looked stoned out of her mind or something, like her face was frozen. I really hope none of my other picks turn out this bad. At least it's over with. This was one of the worst movies I've seen in my life. Usually movies this bad have some unintentional humor, but this even failed at that and was just utterly boring. Oh and the music... My goodness did the music ever torture me. I felt so conflicted because the music set such a weird tone that often wouldn't transition with the scenes, but just made things feel flat and awkward. I almost turned the movie off twice, but slugged through it reluctantly.

Category: John Carpenter

Zotis 3/31
Poltergeist (1982)

Directed by: Tobe Hooper
Starring: JoBeth Williams and Craig T. Nelson

That was refreshing. Spielberg produced and co-wrote it. The acting was decent and I really enjoyed both leads. Williams and Nelson made a great couple. I'm not always a fan of ghost stories, but I didn't mind that aspect in this one at all. It was genuinely frightening at times, so I have a good lingering feeling of excitement and adrenaline. I'm glad to have finally seen it, because it's quite a well-known film. I wasn't familiar with Hooper before. I haven't seen The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and I don't think I've seen any of his other films either. So this was a first for me. Spontaneous Combustion sounds interesting. I might watch that when I'm done the October Horror Challenge.

Category: Tobe Hooper

Camo 2/31
The People Under The Stairs

Liked this alot more than i thought i would've. Actually really respect how serious it was played for most of it and yet i didn't think it was a flaw it actually worked. So many horror films die on their lack of humour, this didn't for me even though a fair amount of it was unintentionally goofy. My favourite goof was when one of the people under the stairs pounced out of a cupboard to attack the mother and you could clearly see the mask from the back of its head . The social commentary was just okay but i did think some of this was pretty horrifying; the cannibal cellar, the boiling bath punishment, just how unhinged in general the mother was. My biggest surprise was easily the performances, no one was great, the only person i thought was pretty bad was the dad though; he was supposed to come across very sinister and alot of the time he came across silly; i mean why was he in a gimp suit? haha. Anyway not a favourite but a nice watch.

for wes craven category

The Cabin In The Woods

Not got that much to say about this. Glad i went into it not knowing anything, it was fun but i don't think i enjoyed it as much as most people. It's a clever film and must have been so much fun to write. Truth is i didn't find it that funny think i only laughed out loud once, some of the action got a little tiresome too, also i preferred how goofy and playful Behind The Masks meta commentary and messing around with Horror Conventions was even though it was simpler. Solid fun but not a favourite.
for horror/comedy category

-

Will have more to say for later films, just watched both of these one after another and i felt similarly about them in that i didn't feel strongly either positively or negatively about either.

Iroquois 2/31
Day 1

Inferno (Dario Argento, 1980) -

A sequel to Suspiria that repeats a lot of what made that film great (lurid visuals, cacophonous soundtrack, feverish displays of occultism) but falls prey to characteristically haphazard giallo plotting that jumps from character to character without much care for anything beyond the immediacy of whatever's happening in one scene at a time (plus Mark isn't as good a protagonist as Suzy). I do like how it builds upon the world of Suspiria and Argento is nothing if not a master aestheticist that makes this a great visual experience, but it rings a little hollow. Still, I can't say that I didn't enjoy it.

Opera (Dario Argento, 1987) -

More of the typical "murder mystery" kind of giallo but with some extra-lavish production value thanks to the opera setting. It definitely has some discomforting approaches to violence and the hell that it puts its heroine through (if you have a thing about eye trauma then this probably isn't for you), but it's able to feature some solid set-pieces and images in the process.

Jay Redrum 2/31
The Funhouse (1981)

Directed By:Toby Hooper

Kind of a dissapointment. The poster and the opening credit scroll made its seem like this was gonna be a movie about creepy animatronics which I was totally hyped for. Without giving anything away this movie is very much not about anything new or interesting. It's just a kind of run of the mill slasher movie with a horribly disfigured, mask wearing killer. In slasher movies I always wanna see creative kills and in this one I didnt think there were any really that jumped out at me. It was definatley watchable and the plot kinda made sense but nothing outstanding. Another thing I always like is the final fight with the killer but in this movie its kinda boring honestly. The acting wasn't terrible. Last thing I wanna say is the main girls boyfriend is like 80's hot to the max its amazing.

Just look at this guy
WARNING: "SPOILERS" spoilers below
I really like the little thing they did where the girl tries to screamto her parents but they can't hear her through the fan, it's actually quite an emotionally impactful scene admist a lot of nothing.

I give it 3 handjobs from a plam reader out of 7 laughing animatronic fat ladies.

Category: Hooper Film

Jay Redrum 3/31
The People Under the Stairs (1991)

Directed By: Wes Craven

What a weird movie. I didn't read or watch aything about this movie before watching it so I was pleasntly surprised actually. I really liked the whole premise it's really demented but it was really enjoyable to watch. Nothing to really hate about it or really get to worked up about. The one complaint I have, I share with @Camo when he said the "Daddy" character was clearly supposed to be menacing but came of a little too goofy. I really like the humor, it played really well along side a really serious plot, wether it was intentional or not I don't know, but it worked. It was a fun ride and I was cheering for the kid to kick some ass the whole time.

I give it 5 shotgun weilding gimps out of 8 "Get em' Daddy"s

Category: Craven Film

Jay Redum 4/31
The Last House on the Left(1972)

Directed By:Wes Craven
When the credits started rolling at the end of this movie I said outloud to myself "what the ****". Honest to god I have never been so uncomfortable watching a film. Some really messed up stuff happens in this movie, and throught it all its cut togehter with silly cop antics, and cute mom and dad love. It's really different. The final fight at the end of the movie feels way to slow and dull realsing a lot of tension and excitement. There is nothing too bad structure wise, some of the acting is a little bit off. There are things that dont make any sense but it's small stuff I wont bring up. I'm fairly sure the scene that got the film banned in Britan for a period of time, is one where a girl is froced to pee herself, but it's honestly quite tame. I don't know if I liked the movie or not really just that it made me uncomfortable. Its not bad but I don't think I'll watch it again unless I'm showing it to someone.

I give it 2 bumbling cops out of 2 VERY angry parents
(my ratings don't mean anything, so this is techincally 100% of nothing. So its still nothing)

Category: Banned Film

cat_sidhe 1/31

Jeepers Creepers 2
dir: Victor Salva

I was looking forward to this, but it bored me pretty quickly. But had more fun once i noticed one lookalike, and more started to become apparent. Budget Rick Moranis, Ralph Macchio and a blonde Ben Affleck. This isn't really a movie I can get all wordy about.

Category: Watch 2 sequels (part1)

TheUsusalSuspect 1/31
Train To Busan

Watch a horror film from three different countries.
(South Korea)

Just when I thought the film was drawing to a close, it ramps up the tension again and delivers a thrilling conclusion to an already tense and exciting zombie picture. Train to Busan surprised me with how well crafted the entire film is.

A divorced single father must take his daughter on a train to meet her mother. She feels neglected by his workaholic attitude. He reluctantly agrees and after boarding the train, find that the city has been run over by flesh eating zombies. Guess what...one managed to get on the train. Now the passengers but fight for their lives and put their trust in each other, or they're all going to end up dead.

The zombies had contortionist like movement to them, adding to the sense of cruelty and uneasiness. They are already dead, that is scary enough, they move fast too, so you need to be quick. Add onto of that the weird movements of their limbs and you have an effective look that manages to separate itself from a generic zombie picture.Setting the film on a train, adds a sense of claustrophobic tension, perfect for this genre. Much like Snowpiercer, each train segment felt like a different level our characters had to get through in oder to achieve their goal.

A lot of zombie pictures are light on character because they want to focus on the gore. We have fully fleshed out characters here, each with their strengths and weaknesses. I didn't know who was going to live or die by the end of the film. Also, much like Cooper in Night of the Living Dead, Train to Busan manages to create and deliver a character more evil than flesh eating zombies. It's hard to imagine what people will do in order to survive, but one characters takes it to another level.

South Korea has an excellent horror cinema and Train to Busan is a fine addition to the line-up. Never once did I feel like the characters were safe, the film kept the tension going throughout the run time and made it work. Kudos.

Jay Redrum 5/31
Halloween(1978)

Directed By: John Carpenter
I don't have alot to say about this one actually. I liked it. It was fun to watch. I really enjoyed the score. The kills weren't very creative which was unfortunate but all in all it was all right. Very typicial slasher stuff but still paced well enough that I didn't get bored. I kind of hated the main characters friends, they were both just not good people. Uhhhhhhh yeah nothing else really to say about this one.

I give it 6 child murders out of 8 "Totally"s

Category: Slasher Film

Siddon 1/31
October 1st

Category Silent Film: Faust (1926)

Faust is...well not really a horror movie it's more of a dark fantasy film. The Mephisto wagers with an Angel that he can corrupt the soul of a righteous man. The visuals are stunning but I found myself drifting off in boredom after about an hour.

Zotis 4/31
Mother of Tears (2007)

Directed by: Dario Argento
Starring: Asia Argento

Overall the acting was alright. It wasn't great, but at least it wasn't terrible. There were some issues with the dubbing where the emphasis in their voices didn't match their expressions or the intensity of their acting, and sometimes it didn't match with their lips. They tried to hide it, but sometimes it was just glaringly obvious. The last shot of the film was really tacky. I also had some issue with the plot. Where Argento usually excels in music, use of color, and visuals I found this a bit lacking compared to his other films. This actually felt like a 90's movie.

Category: Dario Argento

Ultraviolence 4/31
Halloween (1978)
Category: Slasher

01/10 [00:00]
One of my favorites horror films ever! This was the first time that I watched the BluRay version, so you can imagine my happiness!
My girlfriend was a little upset since I made her wait until midnight! But what can I do? I made a pact!

INSIDE (2007)
Category: Home Invasion

01/10 [01:48]

I copied this from camo , I'm not aware of any good Home Invasion movies. All I saw were crap (Panic Room for example ¬¬). This movie was something. One of the bloodiest horror movies I've seen in years. Although the film has satisfied my appetite for blood did not entertain me that much...

The Thing (1982)
Category: John Carpenter

01/10 [19:15]

Just like Halloween, this is one of my favorites!
I almost put it in the "rewatch a favorite" category. First time I've see the Blu-Ray! (Bought together with Halloween last week). The ending is SO damn good!!!

Halloween II (1981)
Category: Two Horror Sequels (I'll save the other sequel to friday in the next week since I chose Friday the 13th Final Chapter as my other sequel).
01/10 [22:00]

The emptiest hospital ever!
An ok sequel! Somethings are very good and others are completely crap.

Iroquis 3/31
Day 2

It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) -

CATEGORY: Highest-rated film you haven't seen.

I went by the IMDb genre charts for this one and, after determining that I couldn't guarantee that I would get to watch Diabolique, went with the next viable candidate, which was...this. On a purely horror level, it certainly has its moments - can't say I didn't jump at least a couple of times - but it seems as if it works better on every other level, especially when it comes to the interplay between the main ensemble and the visual approach. That's fine and all as I was certainly enjoying it, but it's clearly playing to different strengths and I had to take that into consideration. Also, between this and Demons 2 I'm now convinced that more films need to put The Cult on their soundtracks.

Joel 2/31
Category:David Cronenberg
Naked Lunch
(1991)
Director: David Cronenberg

Cronenberg's strange, over the top comedy is based on the William S. Burroughs book, and right off the bat during the title sequence we can see the director has really taken great care to set this up as a pure mood piece. The titles are revealed by multi colored art deco shapes and lines of pale greens and magentas.

Peter Weller's performance is the funniest thing about the film. He is so cool and deadpan that it's as if his eyes take an extra 5 seconds to catch up with his words.

The plot is absurd. A bug exterminator becomes hooked on his own powder, shoots his wife by accident, and goes into the Interzone, an imaginary world where roaches, centipedes and aristocratic writers assign him to certain "reports" about things we don't quite understand.

Many of the themes in this film seem to be about homosexuality. Possibly the writer's own denial? I got many laughs at the recurring insinuations and the way Weller handles them, eventually coming clean in a brief description of his alter ego dancer mada'am. Other aspects seem to linger on sickness, possibly the AIDS virus, and yet again a recurring character is a hemmeroidal butt hole for a mouth as part of an agent typewriter. This movie is absolutely insane!

I'll never need to watch this again. The plot is totally nuts, and the length of the film stays way, way past its welcome. Though it is funny and perverse, I can't say it's a "great" film because it really isn't. If weird is your flavor well then I suppose this movie is a masterpiece, and there are plenty of interpretations and underlying things to try and dredg up into discussion, but even with a very literary spine, I felt like this was just one bad acid trip with some chuckles.

Category:George Romero
Land of the Dead
(2005)
Director: George Romero

The Walking Dead and every other zombie film owes to not only this franchise, but to this 2nd sequel to Night of the Living Dead. From the opening credits, all tattered and stylish, we can see where Darabont took his show running creative direction to implement the Walking Dead opening. The nice thing about this film is that it was, like TWD, shot on film. Fuji film, with digital intermediate. That explains the tricks (DI) thrown in with quick cuts and circus-like effects and staging. There are some fantastic deaths on display here.

John Leguizamo is one of my old favorites, and he is great here. I didn't care much for the lead actor. I thought he was a bit too plain. I really liked the slow sidekick, though. His lines and acting were good. Some scenes were very creepy. Shot at night, Romero really knew how to set the mood and keep the tension on. Lots of darkly lit photographed entrail mayhem. Digital doesn't do these kinds of things justice.

The porous characteristics of film are suitable, and that is one of the circumstantial reasons why Romero's films are far above any extensions of his proprietary genre kind of pale in comparison. That and the fact that he knows how to write good characters who aren't completely one dimensional. Most all characters are given something to play with, and they do. This seemed to be on the edge of the big zombie turn in characterization in commercial cinema. Good old 2005.

I really liked the writing of this chapter. Day of the Dead was gritty and fulked up in all the right ways, but Land of the Dead is a fresh take, and still has a bit of the Harrison score in brief piano bits like when the zombies first start to cross the water. I'm glad he directed that mood to revisit. Too much sonic wall music is boring and actually works against a film being memorable. When will Hollywood learn. The answer is never. But that's OK. They're idiots. Moving on..

Dennis Hopper gives one of his last hurrahs and he's good but not great. He could've been in the film more and I wouldn't have minded at all. Zombies "creep him out", but that's about as far as we get from a usually very outspoken Hopper. Still, the The Nicotero/Berger effects make his death scene Ramboesque enough to at least finish up his job tidy for a film that wants to be more, but doesn;t have the budget to be.

This is the most ambitious chapter in the series yet, and goes the extra mile to make it atmospheric. Some of the make up isn't very convincing, namely the main "Bub" like zombie who seems to lead the pack in revolt. His zombie mask is clearly visible to start at the bridge of his nose and it's distracting. Maybe the effect team figured film would carry on longer than it did, and that the blurriness and saturation of colors would mask this limitation from the unforgiving sharpness of high definition. Who knows?

I did enjoy this movie.It very much deserves it's place within the series.

Zotis 5/31
The Addiction (1995)

Directed by: Abel Ferrara
Starring: Lili Taylor and Christopher Walken

What a gorgeous masterpiece. Shot in black in white, beautifully composed, and intensely poetic, this movie was artistic and powerful. The acting was great, and the script spectacular. There was a lot of philosophical poetic dialogue, but balanced and contrasted with normal every day dialogue from various different types of people. Sometimes poetic movies lack that kind of realism in their dialogue and have everyone speaking poetically throughout, but this had a nice mixture. The trailer gave me the impression Walken had a lead role, but his role was actually limited to only a few scenes. He still had a terrific role. Taylor was the lead, and I've never been impressed by her the way I was in this film. Her performance was extraordinary. This was also a refreshingly unique take on vampires, especially dealing with addiction. I loved this movie.

Category: Vampire