Troma Entertainment

Tools    

Just trying to get a feel for what people are into on this board and was just wondering if anyone was into anything by Lloyd Kaufman of Troma Studio's????

My favourite Troma film being: 'Terror Firmer'

and then a close second it would have to be Trey Parker and Matt Stone's 'Cannibal the Musical' (not a kaufman film, but it is on the Troma label so i can call it a Troma film)

laterz

I enjoy Troma movies quite a bit--haven't seen Terror Firmer yet, but I've been meaning to. I've heard it's hilarious.

A few favorite Tromas: The Toxic Avenger (it's a classic), Tromeo and Juliet (has to be seen to be believed, and hey--Lemmy from Motorhead!), and of course, Cannibal! The Musical (it tops my Trey and Matt best-of list, followed by Orgazmo and South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut).

Troma is great, IMO--Lloyd Kaufman knows exactly what he is and he has no shame. You've gotta love any shlock film company that is willing to so blatantly rip on itself and yet still keep churning out movies.

Beware the Moon
Love 'em or hate 'em, you can't deny Troma movies are certainly entertaining in their own way. Lloyd Kaufman is certainly up there with fellow cult crap meisters (Roger Corman, Fred Olen Ray for example) for knocking out cheap schlock, silly and highly cult movies.
Good for boozy nights in or just no brain entertainment that you don't need to concentrate on or think about.

"Toxie" rocks, Nuke 'Em High is seriously f**ked up and Tromeo & Juliet cool stuff

Not a huge fan of their stuff........but I might have some Troma titles in my collection

nice one guys.

i love tromeo and juliet. top film.

not seen nuke em high yet though but would like to.

also got a nice screener copy of 'citizen toxie' which is also an ace film.

i interviewed lloyd kaufman for a magazine that i work for. did it last november. it hasnt gone to print yet so i might post it here for you guys too see now i know there is an interest for that sort of thing here. nice guy, speaks his mind and follows what he believes in big time.

21st century digital boy
I liked Cannibal the musical a lot, and who doesn't enjoy stupid stuff like Sgt. Kabuki Man NYPD? Does anyone remember the Toxic Avenger cartoon show that used to be on? It was really bad, but I suppose that's what Troma does best....

well I feel like an a$$. I have not seen ANY of these films.

Um Bungo! Um Bungo!
You can't get most of them in Britain, I've seen a few Toxic Avenger, Nuke 'Em High and I think there was called Troma's War, but there's only so much sht you can watch

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
I love Troma. Been a fan since 8 years old when I saw Class of Nuke 'Em High. Saw The Toxic Avenger a few years later and that did it for me! Then I learned they started out doing mostly teen exploitation films before Toxie broke the mold!

To think some major players today got their start or even appeared in films made/distributed at Troma:

Oliver Stone (1971's The Battle of Love's Return)
Kevin Costner (1974's Sizzle Beach USA)
Vincent D'Onofrio (1982's The First Turn On)
Marisa Tomei (1984's The Toxic Avenger)
Michael Jai White (1989's The Toxic Avenger Part II and III; also served as one of the film's action directors)
Billy Bob Thornton (1990's Chopper Chicks in Zombie Town)
South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone (1990's Cannibal: The Musical)

James Gunn (1996's Tromeo and Juliet as co-writer; made cameo in 2001's Citizen Toxie: Toxic Avenger IV)

James Bond III made his film debut as star, writer, producer, and director of Def by Tempation, which co-starred Kadeem Hardison, Bill Nunn, Melba Moore, and Samuel L. Jackson as Bond's preacher father!

Vincent D'Onofrio (1982's The First Turn On)
Big D'Onofrio fan...******* seeing him in his speedos saying "stop joking and start stroking" made it worth the hunt for that film.

This was a 2001 interview with Rick Collins, who played The Chairman in The Toxic Avenger II and III. Funny stories, especially the Devil story!

2001 with Ron Fazio, who was one of two actors who played The Toxic Avenger in Parts II and III, replacing John Altamura, who was fired from production, but yet Lloyd kept his scenes, hence the two sharing credit on the film.

Welcome to the human race...
I think I've only watched The Toxic Avenger - rented it out when I was about fifteen and watched it five times before returning it. Even considered it a Top 100 favourite at the time, but I never bothered with any of the sequels or any other Troma movies for that matter. That may yet change, but they seem extremely avoidable.

I watched some of them as a kid and to varying degrees liked them. Haven't really felt the urge to rewatch them though because I'm afraid I wouldn't like them now. The only exception to this is Combat Shock which I really need to rewatch at some point.

CNN did a segment on the Troma universe! They used to be in Manhattan on 50th Street but they are now in Queens, NY.