Interesting Obscure/Forgotten Films

Tools    

Sounds good, Mark!

I'll add another pick: Montana. Didn't expect much, pleasantly surprised.

#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Speaking of Bacon...

Telling Lies In America and The Woodsman, not sure how well they fared critically but I thought both were good.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
. Don't spam the thread with your pet movie that's already been talked about and hyped to death. I don't want that favorite brilliant underrated typical crap. Don't go with your top pick "I love this well-known little movie too, aren't I hip" first choice.
But that's all I got.

I may have a couple, but I think they may have been made for t.v. If I find them and they are, still want them or do they not count.

But that's all I got.

I may have a couple, but I think they may have been made for t.v. If I find them and they are, still want them or do they not count.
Go for it, bro. Although we can't be sure whether many Mofos will know an obscure movie, I just want to try avoiding stuff that's fairly recognizable, like Brick. Use your own best judgment. It doesn't have to be a great movie, just something not typically mentioned that you think is interesting.

I'm pretty sure Murder In The First is one of his most well-known ones.
Excellent. I'd like to think so, but I so rarely hear anyone mention it, unless I do.
Okay, how about this one? Brian Yuzna's Society.
Surely that's too notorious to be forgotten or obscure? However, might make a decent commentary for SC? Not sure enough happens frequently enough to make it a really good one, though.

Another 90's one I usually only see if I mention it. Again, certainly not obscure, but maybe forgotten?

Shadowlands

You're probably right, HK. It's hard to tell with some cult films exactly how much they still remain in the public consciousness.

It's made all the harder when the internet makes it so easy to find lots of stuff/people talking about the film. It can look as if it's never been gone. Again, this could all come down to age.

For the member born in the last 25 years, are you aware of Society?

Guess I'll put Sissy Spacek's Raggedy Man out there... The interesting thing was that it's basically a "small town slice-of-life" drama, yet one that oddly edges into horror/thriller territory.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Gummo. Yeah this one is really weird. I can't say i like it lol, but i can say it is indeed very,very different.

I recently watched Bucky Larson: Born to be a Star, I though it wasn't that bad, in fact very good (better than some films in the top 100 of the 1990's and The Millennium, for instance).

Gummo is actually pretty well-known, I think. I see it get mentioned fairly often in different movie lists. Just sayin.

It's probably Harmony Korine's most well-known film, anyway... (It even shows up in Hype Williams' Belly, I recall) More casual viewers aren't likely to be aware of his filmography, I guess, In some ways, I think Julien Donkey-Boy is the better film, though they're similarly grotesque, Yet they're both relatively palatable as films imo... in comparison to the unspeakably weird Trash Humpers, though.

Different maybe, but not so obscure. (Gummo)

I found one of the movies I was looking for and it is a made for t.v. movie. A Girl Named Sooner (1975 Delbert Mann) I have no idea if it is obscure or not. I picked it up at the library a few years back without knowing a thing about it. It's on YouTube so I am going to give it another watch. I don't remember much about it other than it's about a little abused country girl that gets adopted. I also remember a horrible scene involving a bird. I really liked it at the time I watched it, so hopefully it holds up.

These I know are obscure. My Sweet Satan (1994 Jim Van Bebber)
& The Manson Family (2003 Jim Van Bebber) Bebber is sort of a local legend in the place I grew up (Ohio) and in certain circles. Satan is a short that can be seen on YouTube. Manson is full length and I'm not sure where you can see it.

Can't believe I forgot about Bebber.

I recently watched Bucky Larson: Born to be a Star, I though it wasn't that bad, in fact very good (better than some films in the top 100 of the 1990's and The Millennium, for instance).
That's crazy talk.

Let the night air cool you off
I don't know if these count:

Grabbers (2012) - Never seen anybody else on the forum mention it, I didn't look very hard but still. One of the best creature features in recent memory, and a total hoot.

Nekromantik (1987) - I think this is pretty infamous right? But not that many people have seen it, does it count? It's also actually pretty good.

Equinox (1970) - It got the Criterion treatment, does that disqualify it from your criteria? It inspired the much inferior film The Evil Dead.

Martin (1976) - When Romero gets brought up it's about the Dead trilogy, and rightfully so, but that leads to Martin being criminally underlooked. It's probably the most interesting take on the vampire genre.

Under the Roofs of Paris (1930) - Another one in the Criterion Collection. It's worth watching just for the transition of silent to talkie, and it's awesome.

Underworld Beauty (1958) - Most criminally underseen Seijun Suzuki film...also the only Seijun Suzuki film I've seen. I need to remedy this.