300 Trailer

Tools    

I'll go in expecting eye candy, and if I get anything resembling a compelling storyline, I'll simply consider it gravy on what seems sure to be a visual feast.

Originally Posted by Sleezy
Wow, what was that like?
Kinda like crying at a wedding.

Wow, the Battle of Thermoplyae has always been one of my favorite stories. However, someone mentioned the misportrayal of Leonidas and I disagree. He is rather calm at the beggining but you could always tell there was something almost...savage festering in him. We don't really know how he is portrayed as a whole in the movie but if all the shots we see of him occur in the latter half of the plot...then I'd have to say its fairly accurate.

I'm really glad this movie is being made, and more glad thats its a frank miller style movie. I'd hate to see this fall into the hands of the people who made Troy (not that it was a bad movie, its just that that style of film is getting old). Can you imagine Brad Pitt as Leonidas??? Shivers.

i cant wait to see this movie. frank miller is a demi-god after his masterpiece done with sin city. 300 looks like the sickest movie ill ever see. however, i have a feeling that after i see it, ill want to go jumping off walls, smash people in the face with shields and wear a cape everywhere i go... just cause im so badass that all i need to wear is a cape and a loincloth lol

The cinematography itself its sick and when the Persians say:"Our arrows will blot out the sun" and then the spartan replyes:"Then we will fight in the shade" just makes me feel good.This so far is the greatest moment in the trailer.Damn I cant wait to watch this movie.I found the Comic book over the internet it's awsme too

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by B-card
when the Persians say:"Our arrows will blot out the sun" and then the spartan replyes:"Then we will fight in the shade" just makes me feel good.This so far is the greatest moment in the trailer.
I rather like the bit at the end:

Originally Posted by Leonidas
When this battle is over, the world will know that few stood against many.
That is, essentially, the core message of the story.

(In more ways than one.)

Sleezy Darl, nice 2 see you

Originally Posted by Sleezy
I rather like the bit at the end:

That is, essentially, the core message of the story.

(In more ways than one.)
Yeah but this is said for real and the fact that Frank Miller used it in his comic book.I don't know it just became one of my favourite quotes

Looks and sounds like another Sin City movie but with better graphics.

Yea I think they did an amazing job keeping the scenes in the movie to the scenes in the GN! This movie is going to be the Ancient War movie of the year. I can't wait to check it out!

I definately can not wait till this movie comes out. OMG! I loved TROY and I know this movie will be a HIT.

I saw the trailer and WOW!!!!!!!!
I am really looking forward to seeing this movie in March...
I think Gerard Butler is a great actor.. I saw him in Beowulf and Grendel
and he was awesome... I look forward to a documentary about the filming of
b&G called Wrath of Gods... he is pretty sexy in that too!!!!!

Undoto

Hey folks,
Haven't posted in a long time. I decided to when I saw this trailer. To be honest, this movie looks to me like it's going to be worse than Troy. The Problem with Hollywood, the thing that they're too stupid to understand is you can't take any story and fit it to your own theme thinking any context will work with it. Right off the bat I saw this movie as an inaccurate retelling that is themed to capitalize on how stories of the past are so old, they're almost fantasy today. They really overdue the Greek Mythology/fantasy feel in this not to mention the movie is predominantly inaccurate if not half of it being made up all together. At best, it doesn't look like a remake that will be everything you wanted the original to be in every way. It looks to be a mixed bag...at best. The original's good pointers at telling the story was IMO that it was told thoroughly and accurately. However, the diologue was most-of-the-time bland and the uniforms were a little hokey. Not to mention that even the Persians were white. I think what needs to be done to re-tell this story better is to increase characterization, follow the story well in an organized fashion and to also portray the Soldiers accurately which includes tactical formations which the original didn't do. If I'm not mistaken, it seems apparent that the phalanx is absent in this film as well which really annoys me, and they show them fighting more with swords than sarissas. I'll go see this movie of course but it looks like another dissapointment from an industry that can rarely see further into the past than three hundred years.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Krackalackin
Hey folks,
Haven't posted in a long time. I decided to when I saw this trailer. To be honest, this movie looks to me like it's going to be worse than Troy. The Problem with Hollywood, the thing that they're too stupid to understand is you can't take any story and fit it to your own theme thinking any context will work with it. Right off the bat I saw this movie as an inaccurate retelling that is themed to capitalize on how stories of the past are so old, they're almost fantasy today. hey really overdue the Greek Mythology/fantasy feel in this not to mention the movie is predominantly inaccurate if not half of it being made up all together.
Although you're right about the historical inaccuracies of the film, I think you've misunderstood from where and why it is coming. The film is going to be a cinema adaptation of Frank Miller's stylized re-telling of the Battle at Thermopylae. So, if you take issue with the inaccuracies and the style, you should take it up with Miller, not "Hollywood." As it turns out, most fans of Miller's story understand that his version is largely sensationalized and are okay with it, and are likewise excited that the film's production staff have seemingly gone to great lengths to capture that story in the same visual and narrative fashion that Miller did. I mean, the film looks VERBATIM to the graphic novel.

it doesn't look like a remake that will be everything you wanted the original to be in every way. It looks to be a mixed bag...at best. The original's good pointers at telling the story was IMO that it was told thoroughly and accurately. However, the diologue was most-of-the-time bland and the uniforms were a little hokey. Not to mention that even the Persians were white.
If you're referring to the 1962 film The 300 Spartans, you shouldn't be misled into thinking that just because 300 covers the same historical event, that it's actually a remake of a previous film.

I think what needs to be done to re-tell this story better is to increase characterization, follow the story well in an organized fashion and to also portray the Soldiers accurately which includes tactical formations which the original didn't do. If I'm not mistaken, it seems apparent that the phalanx is absent in this film as well which really annoys me, and they show them fighting more with swords than sarissas. I'll go see this movie of course but it looks like another dissapointment from an industry that can rarely see further into the past than three hundred years.
If the intent here was to express historical realism, then yes, I'd agree with you. And for the record, I agree that Troy (which you mentioned earlier) is one example of a film that couldn't decide whether it wanted to be history or fantasy. But if you watch the production clips on the DVD Special Features, you'll hear one of the set designers say (and I'm paraphrasing here) that the walls of Troy never would have been this large, nor the statues and columns inside the city... but that the film about the most epic war in history could not look like it was filmed outside a mudhut.

The point is, sensationalizing history in cinema happens, and will always happen, because films should in the end be as thematic as they are accurate, if not more so. And in the case of 300, the point was never to be historically accurate; but rather, stylish and thematic. Think of Pablo Picasso's cubist depiction of the human form: he understood and could replicate the human form in a drawing as accurately as in a photograph, but he chose not to... because he also believed that sometimes the real image - when distorted - can produce some new, refreshing understanding of ourselves.

I saw Beowulf and Grendel and i didnt even know it was him, he is a great actor!!! PLUS it will be in IMAX this is too sweet!!!!

Definitely a movie worth seeing. I'm a history movie fanatic...Troy, Alexander, Gladiator...