Best action heroines

Tools    

What are your favorite female stars as action heroes / or action movies starring women.

Picks-
Sigourney Weaver in alien films
Jodie Foster in Panic Room
Carrie Fisher in that space movie

any more?

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Carrie-Ann Moss - The Matrix. She also did the terrible Red Planet but I don't recall her having any action sequences in it.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I second that emotion; she kicked some serious a** in The Matrix. It's not too easy to be tough, yet feminine. Personally I only know one girl who can pull it off.

Now With Moveable Parts
Linda Hamilton in the Terminator movies...man, loading a gun like that with one arm, that was BAD ASS!!

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
"Ready for some action now, Danger Boy...."

- Aeon Flux

Only the coolest heroine ever!

Originally posted by sadesdrk
Linda Hamilton in the Terminator movies...man, loading a gun like that with one arm, that was BAD ASS!!
Ditto. I can't believe I forgot her.

Now With Moveable Parts
How about Sandra Bullock in the Speed movies??

Carrie Ann Moss is by far, my favorite. I'll tell you why. Pulling off the "tough girl" rarely goes over well...in fact, women almost always over do it.*think the girl with curly hair in Starship Troopers; or Jolie in Gone in 60 Seconds.
Carrie Ann Moss had that nice subtle quality to her hardness...it was brilliant. She rocked that movie!

Sigourney Weaver as Ripley, no contest for me.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Now With Moveable Parts
She definately set the standard for heroines to come...

L.B. ASKED ME TO POST THIS FOR HIM

It's not a action but I'd say Franka Potente in Run Lola Run should be considered. Tyne Daly in Clint Eastwoods second outing as Dirty Harry The Enforcer. Julianne Moore as the FBI Agent Clarice M. Starling in Hannibal suited me just fine in her role and does some serious @ss kick'in.

Pitch Black's Radha Mitchell had a juicy role as is up there IMO. For a classic Female Heroine look too Marlene Dietrich espically in Destry Rides Again. Candice Bergen in "Soldier Blue" & Bite the Bullet makes other men look like wimps. Michelle Yeoh in numerous flick loved her in Wo hu cang long (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon).

Janeane Garofalo in Clay Pigeons has a samaller but vidil role as one of the agents out to get the serial killer. Geena Davis in [i]Cutthrout Island & espically The Long Kiss Goodnight her part is very meaty and she don't take shiyt. Althou a weak movie Elizabeth Shueshould be included into the thread for her part in ]Hollow Man. Another awful movie which a heroine that should at least get a nod is Thandie Newton in MI2.

Sharon Stone's western act in The Quick and the Dead is pretty stand-out. Katharine Hepburn in more of an adventure story with a love thingy with Bogart in The African Queen puts the men in place from time to time. Mira Sorvino back to back with Yun-Fat Chow in The Replacement Killers is nifty with the gun. Meryl Streep's watery thriller called The River Wild is sterdy as the female heroine.

Sigourney Weaveralready been mentioned but what about Jenette Goldstein as Private J. Vasquez shes kicks. For one minute there that girl in Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrles how picks up that honk'in machine gun becomes an action heroine for me. Holly Hunter in Copycat simply rocks.

If Animies count than the female cyborg cop in Ghost in the Shell has to be added to the list. Karen Allen of course in Raiders of the Lost Ark that's all I ask is for a woman once in as blue moon to hit the badie of the frickin head with a pan which she does perfectly.

I'll admit that some of these films I've mentioned are not particularly action movie but are a mixture of suspense & thrillers as well. IMHO, I still think they should get mentioned they've done there part in making woman of cinema not look so blood helpless which they most certainly arn't in really life.

Thanks Spud, I finally got my computer workin properly again.

and I badly wanted to edit it so you can delete your post buddy thanks again.

It's not of a action movie but I'd say Franka Potente in Run Lola Run should be considered. Tyne Daly in Clint Eastwoods second outing as Dirty Harry The Enforcer. Julianne Moore as the FBI Agent Clarice M. Starling in Hannibal suited me just fine in her role and does some serious @ss kick'in.

Pitch Black's Radha Mitchell had a juicy role and is up there IMO. For a classic Female Heroine look too Marlene Dietrich espically in Destry Rides Again. Candice Bergen in "Soldier Blue" & Bite the Bullet makes men look like tiny little wimps. Michelle Yeoh in numerous flicks, loved her in Wo hu cang long (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon).

Janeane Garofalo in Clay Pigeons has a samaller but valid role as one of the agents out to catch the serial killer. Geena Davis in Cutthrout Island & espically The Long Kiss Goodnight her part is very meaty and she don't take shiyt. Althou a weak movie Elizabeth Shue should be included into the thread for her part in Hollow Man. Another awful movie which a heroine should at least get a nod is Thandie Newton in MI2.

Sharon Stone's western act in The Quick and the Dead is pretty stand-out. Katharine Hepburn in more of an adventure story with a love thingy with Bogart in The African Queen puts men into place from time to time. Mira Sorvino back to back with Yun-Fat Chow in The Replacement Killers is nifty with the gun. Meryl Streep's watery thriller called The River Wild is sterdy as the female heroine.

Sigourney Weaveralready been mentioned but what about Jenette Goldstein as Private J. Vasquez. For one minute there that girl in Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrles how picks up that honk'in machine gun becomes an action heroine for me. Holly Hunter in Copycat simply amazed me.

If Animies count than the female cyborg cop in Ghost in the Shell has to be added to the list. Karen Allen of course in Raiders of the Lost Ark. That's all I ask is for a woman once in a blue moon to hit the badie over the frickin head with a pot or pan which she does perfectly.

I'll admit that some of these films I've mentioned are not particularly action movie but are a mixture of suspense & thrillers as well. IMHO, I still think they should get mentioned they've done there part in making woman of cinema not look so blood helpless which they most certainly arn't in really life.

Originally posted by sadesdrk
Carrie Ann Moss is by far, my favorite....... She rocked that movie!
i say yay to her also, but signourey weaver as ripley is the queen.

actresses i don't buy: elizabeth shue (but i don't believe her in any role), and i lovvvve drew barrymore but not in this type of role. .......

The Enforcer (1976), with the memorable finale on deserted Alcatraz Island and Tyne Daly going out the way most of Callahan's partners do, is actually Clint Eastwood's THIRD outing as San Francisco's Detective Inspector Harry Callahan. It's the second sequel, but third film. In order they are: Dirty Harry (1971), Magnum Force (1973), The Enforcer, Sudden Impact (1983) and The Dead Pool (1988).

Sorry, but I'm an Eastwoodian freak and can't let the little error pass...not even from you, Geoff.

To tell you the truth HOLDEN I knew i'd get caught on that one just to lazy to check it out at IMDB to make sure.

You are forgiven....Punk.

And since thus far she seems to have been forgotten, I'll give a shout out to Pam Grier, the @ss-kickin' star of such Blaxploitation classics as Coffy (1973), Foxy Brown (1974), Friday Foster (1975), Sheeba, Baby (1975) and much later in her career Original Gangstas (1996) and Jackie Brown (1997), among others (how did she get left out of I'm Gonna Git You Sucka?). Most recently she's done the female action thing in Ghosts of Mars and Bones. Fifty-three and still kickin' @ss.

Not very good movies in the '70s crop that propelled her to cult stardom, but a pototypical modern female action anti-hero.

Why am I here?
What's that womens name from 5th element also in the new resident evil movie (which sucked) she's pretty kick ass and damn fine, she was in Joan of Arc too, can't believe i forgotten her name!!

Sic Networks

Why am I here?
Never watched Zoolander it just looked like it would suck!

Well, it doesn't, especially now as a rental. If you're even a mild fan of Stiller or Owen Wilson, you should definitely pick it up. Inherently stupid, of course, but pretty amusing in many spots as well.

HERE is the MoFo thread where those of us who saw it in the theater back in September discussed Zoolander. I only grade it a C+ myself, but that rates as a decent Friday night rental in my book. The DVD is a nice SE too.