A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

I thought it was generally assumed Dreiser died, or something similarly bad happened. He vanished mid discussion about some topic he seemed to be engaged in (probably Liza Minnelli) and people starting pointing out old posts where he had said that if he ever suddenly stopped posting, it wouldn't be because he left, and that it would only be because he died. But who knows. I also though looka died a number of times and he kept resurrecting himself.

Never really talked with Weitzman. He didn't seem particularly engaged those last couple of years.

Death Proof is sporadically posting at Kateland. He had said he didn't want to start at a new forum, so I assume that is what kept him away.

Yeah, I do remember Dreiser's departure being unusually abrupt. Surly son of a bitch, but I did like him.

Yeah, I do remember Dreiser's departure being unusually abrupt. Surly son of a bitch, but I did like him.
Aw yeah, we can say "bitch" on this forum.

Victim of The Night
Yeah. I lost a ton with the fall of RT and just went “well, I’d be better off writing other things.” *gestures at numerous unproduced scripts*

Did you prefer it to Near Dark?
Ya know, I think I probably did. They are similar in their way but at least The Loveless never let me down narratively. And of course there's no one as compelling as Dafoe in Near Dark.

Near Dark is an okay-to-decent movie with very high peaks, but The Loveless is averages to a much better movie. It's also way more unique and memorable, and I think that's what matters most.

Victim of The Night
I didn't join RT until 2006 but I gotta be honest, my entire time there I thought it was a mixed-bag at best. I was probably just too old when I joined but the constant flame-wars and some just unbelievably juvenile stuff took a lot away from my enjoyment of, ya know, talking about movies and stuff. I found it really hard to be become a "part" of that community because I apparently didn't have enough personality, which is to say that all the feces-slinging that was constantly going on was the opposite of fun to me. It was better for me in the later years, even thought there were sadly far fewer (good) threads to read. Corri was fine, it was a place to post and I'm glad I got to keep in touch with a lot of the people I did like from RT.
So far, this place has been good though I almost exclusively keep to The 'cram and RtLMYW. Oh, and crumbs' thread.

Ya know, I think I probably did. They are similar in their way but at least The Loveless never let me down narratively. And of course there's no one as compelling as Dafoe in Near Dark.
Have you rewatched Near Dark since watching the Loveless? I think experiencing the latter enhances the former a good deal.

I’d also argue that Paxton and Henrickson are comparably compelling.

A lot of the discussions I had on RT are blurs to me, but I enjoyed the site quite a bit. I also liked Corrie a lot as well, more even. There were a couple posters on both sites who were rather cold and unwelcoming (part of this was my fault though as I behaved rather poorly a couple times on RT), but for the most part, I enjoyed those sites a great deal, and it's sad that we lost several posters during both migrations.

I just watched the trailer for The Loveless thinking it was a vampire movie I haven't heard of. Haha.
Ha! Nope. It is about a motorcycle gang and functions a LOT like Near Dark if you cut out the vampire bits. Both by Bigelow.

He mentioned on Kateland that he doesn't plan to join this forum, which is too bad. I think he still posts on Kateland though.

I also messaged ergill about this site a while ago. He expressed some interest in joining, but hasn't showed up yet.
Eh, the only forum I've seen Proof on lately is the new Rotten Tomatoes board: https://rottentomatoes.boards.net/post/4586/thread

Victim of The Night
Have you rewatched Near Dark since watching the Loveless? I think experiencing the latter enhances the former a good deal.

I’d also argue that Paxton and Henrickson are comparably compelling.
I think Paxton and Hendrickson are compelling enough B-listers but they're not in the same league, not even close, as Dafoe.

I think Paxton and Hendrickson are compelling enough B-listers but they're not in the same league, not even close, as Dafoe.
We talking in terms of those specific characters or in terms of acting ability?

Victim of The Night
We talking in terms of those specific characters or in terms of acting ability?
I think both as well as for screen magnetism and presence.
When I think of Dafoe in, say, Streets Of Fire (choosing a genre film to keep things fair), neither of those other two would have had half the effect that merely having Dafoe onscreen does. If he'd never opened his mouth in the whole film he still would have killed it.

I think both as well as for screen magnetism and presence.
When I think of Dafoe in, say, Streets Of Fire (choosing a genre film to keep things fair), neither of those other two would have had half the effect that merely having Dafoe onscreen does. If he'd never opened his mouth in the whole film he still would have killed it.
I think Dafoe is substantially greater actor than either of them. I also think that both Henrickson and Paxton give more memorable performances as Jesse and Severen than Dafoe did as Vance by a large margin

The Fear Street trilogy are a great deal of fun. They have issues, especially the first, but they end up building a mythology that’s pretty interesting and functional by horror/slasher standards. Each entry builds the mythology in a way that compliments and enhances previous questions and vagaries, usually in fun ways.

The first is the weakest, as it has the least likeable protagonist, obnoxious needle drops (they calm down about 30 mins in but it is a bit rough at the start) and a curious decision to use epipens in the most baffling of ways. But it’s still fun and sets up superior sequels.

As a slasher fan, this is a solid return to the Scream-era style and much better than most of the streaming horror that gets dropped on Netflix and Hulu.

Victim of The Night
I think Dafoe is substantially greater actor than either of them. I also think that both Henrickson and Paxton give more memorable performances as Jesse and Severen than Dafoe did as Vance by a large margin
Hm. I cannot agree with you there. Jesse and Severen are exciting in there way because they are big, loud characters in a genre movie. But Vance has really stuck with me as a memorable cinematic character ever since I saw The Loveless.

Fear Street 1666 wraps up the trilogy nicely. I think I still like 1978 the best.

Hm. I cannot agree with you there. Jesse and Severen are exciting in there way because they are big, loud characters in a genre movie. But Vance has really stuck with me as a memorable cinematic character ever since I saw The Loveless.
What made the character so memorable to you?

Fear Street 1666 wraps up the trilogy nicely. I think I still like 1978 the best.
Agreed. Which is shocking as the series doesn’t seem to have the highest of aspirations (silly teen horror with R violence!) but it really builds on itself and finishes in a way that is logically built up but not the simplest, most obvious route they could’ve taken.

Village of the Damned (1960) -

I found this to be an enjoyable film which climaxed after the first act as it was at its best when it was at its most mysterious. The opening 15 minutes made for an incredibly taut and inventive mystery and the following sequence of the pregnancies was a fine follow up conflict. Overall, I liked the first half a great deal. As for the kids though, I was kind of mixed on them. On one hand, I can see why they became iconic villains as their marginally strange appearance and Stephens' appropriately monotonous performance worked really well. After getting over the shock of the first mind control scene though, I began to experience diminishing returns with that aspect and, as a result, each subsequent mind control set piece effected me less and less. I felt similarly with watching the villagers grow terrified of the kids. And yes, I get that a "What is this leading to?" element existed as well, but that conflict didn't culminate to something substantial enough to get its hooks in me fully. Ultimately, I found myself mildly satisfied with the film after it ended. It grabbed me right at the start but gradually lost its grip as it went on.