What's Your Least Favorite/Most Hated Movie... and Why?

Tools    

Also, add Alien Resurrection to this list. I've searched high and low for a redeeming quality within that dumpster fire, and I still haven't found one.

I don't want to start another debate and all sh*tty things but...

I just leave this here because this movie deserved to be in that thread. Complete trash.

Also, add Alien Resurrection to this list. I've searched high and low for a redeeming quality within that dumpster fire, and I still haven't found one.
I liked a few camera shots.

Ripley was kinda badass.

There weren't any innappropriate religious overtones.

I am the Watcher in the Night
The Bourne Legacy or whatever that **** was called. Feast your eyes on the bets screenshot in the movie

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

Roadhouse (1989)

I only put this movie here because I have two friends (a couple) who think this is the greatest movie ever made... and not like in a "so bad it's good" way... they seriously believe this is the epitome of fine cinema, genius acting, flawless writing and brilliant directing!
For years I heard from them about how this was their favorite movie, so I finally watched it (a long time ago)... I've never forgotten how appalled I was, not by the movie itself, but that anyone could regard it as "great."
I'm not sure what reality this movie was supposed to take place in.
It's ****ing superb. Though I'm not telling you it's the best film ever made, I love it and not in a so bad it's good way. I really do love it. It's a great example of something being greater than the sum of its parts.

Is being better than Aliens a redeeming feature? If not, surely Winona Ryder is.

Is being better than Aliens a redeeming feature? If not, surely Winona Ryder is.

It's a tie between Empire State and Where The Wild Things Are. Empire State simply pissed me off with the bad story and brainless characters. Where The Wild Things Are simply freaked me out and was nothing like the kids book imo.

Where The Wild Things Are simply freaked me out and was nothing like the kids book imo.
Where The Wild Things Are was never going to be anything like the book with a feature-length running time.

Monsters University

1. It's ridiculously generic and cliche. Doug Walker said if you've seen any college movie you've seen MU, but I haven't seen any college movies and I already felt like I'd already seen MU. Which would be bad enough but it was the prequel to something that wasn't.

2. While on that subject, it gets me that they broke canon to force the "I hate you; but we must work together to overcome things and will inevitably end up best friends!" relationship onto characters. That relationship/conflict is used all the time. Just having the characters start as friends, which is what would have made sense based on what's established in the first movie, is pretty rare in animated movies as far as I can remember. And I don't want to hear any bullcrud about needing conflict, cause the first movie got along just fine.

3. I really hate followup movies that could have been their own universes, and in fact probably would have made more sense that way, but they shove them into an existing universe for no reason (other than money). If all the reasons for your movie being in a universe are packed into the last ten minutes, let go of the crutch and rely on yourself. If your script suddenly becomes too crummy to use when it's not attached to guaranteed money, well, that's too bad then, try writing a better script.

4. It's not funny. The times I guessed the next plot point outnumbered the times when I laughed.

5. It gets credit for its message despite said message relying on crummy writing. This character here can't do this thing, ever, under any circumstances, because we SAY SO, and we'll try and keep this up while simultaneously teaching about how you can overcome anything with creativity and effort. Just this one guy can't. Cause again, we say so.

6. No movie, I do not care about your "lol so wacky" side characters.

7. The shoved in villain backstory. a. Not interesting, fun, or any other good adjective. b WHY!? Why tack on a five minutes (if that) backstory when his motivation was already crystal clear!? Is "He's a jealous, narcissistic jerk targeting the guy keeping everyone from praising him" that hard to wrap your mind around? c. "Explaining" things that didn't need an explanation but will reach into the first movie and change context behind things. I don't care how funny, clever, or cute you think you're being; if you are not the original director/writer/whatever, don't do this, EVER.

8. This thing gets decent reviews for some insane reason.

Yes, the essay was necessary to express my hatred.

The most loathsome of all goblins
There is no movie I despise more than Aliens. Loud, dumb, obnoxious and terrible characters. Normally I don't hate a movie simply for being bad, but the amount of praise it gets irks me to no end, especially when someone declares that's it's "better than the original." Ugh

Please hold your applause till after the me.
There is no movie I despise more than Aliens. Loud, dumb, obnoxious and terrible characters. Normally I don't hate a movie simply for being bad, but the amount of praise it gets irks me to no end, especially when someone declares that's it's "better than the original." Ugh
Are there two movies called Aliens, because the description you gave is the exact opposite of James Cameron's Aliens.

Boyhood. For the life of me I cannot understand how anyone can actually like that film.
I like it because it feels real, the characters seem real, what they're saying seems real, the entire film just felt completely genuine.

Are there two movies called Aliens, because the description you gave is the exact opposite of James Cameron's Aliens.
Favorite moment in that whole movie? When Ripley's in the elevator on it's suicidal descent, she's suiting up, and we have that moment of brevity.

Image says a thousand words.

Sorry, but aside from Ripley all of the characters are one-dimensional and worthless. In the original film the characters seem like real people, working stiffs trying to make a living. In Aliens they're all silly cardboard characters with ridiculously over-the-top dialogue. There's only so many times I can listen to "game over man, game over!" before I want to pluck Bill Paxton's tongue out. Not to mention the tacked-on "love interest" and daughter surrogate that acts as the MacGuffin.

It boils down to the story being paint-by-numbers and dull, the cast consisting of dumbed-down stock characters from old war movies, and the Xenomorphs which were powerful and threatening in the original are reduced to cannon fodder. The only shining light is Sigourney Weaver's perfomance which is perhaps the best of her career.

Not to mention the tacked-on "love interest"

Who?

You mean Hicks? Based on what?

Ripley and Hicks were as romantically involved as The Walking Dead is a tribute to Toy Story.

Originally Posted by Blix the Goblin
It boils down to the story being paint-by-numbers and dull,
Unlike a slow horror movie with... jump... scares...

Who? You mean Hicks? Based on what?
Based on my own impression. It seemed to me like an attempt to mold the Alien IP into run-of-the-mill action fare, an attempt that failed. Perhaps I need to revisit the film, it has been years, but each time I've watched it I've only grown to hate it more.

Unlike a slow horror movie with... jump... scares...
I think Alien is a perfect blend of science fiction and horror, much like Planet of the Vampires only less corny. What makes Alien work aren't the jump scares, but the pacing and atmosphere. Also it has nuanced, realistic characters whose lives I peer into, and I grow to care about them over the course of the film.

These are the qualities that make it great, qualities that Aliens does not possess.

Where The Wild Things Are simply freaked me out and was nothing like the kids book imo.
Where The Wild Things Are was never going to be anything like the book with a feature-length running time.
Oh God... that's a movie I'd consider one of the worst films I've seen.