(500) Days of Summer

→ in
Tools    

my gf hated this movie, but I loved it! Great soundtrack too.

I thought it was ok, especially because of the soundtrack (though it's very hip lately to use indie music in the soundtracks)
WARNING: "500 days of Summer" spoilers below
but I really disliked Levitt's eventual meltdown. It's not only pretty unrealistic, it made it fairly difficult for me to sympathize with him (especially because the majority of the film is supposed to set him up as a likable character), that sort of behavior is just not acceptable, no matter what happened to you, let alone something relatively trivial as a failed relationship. Plus, I thought Deschanel came off as a frigid bitch, instead of a quirky femme fatale, which made her eventual marriage pretty unbelivable
...:\ Still, it had its moments, a few of which actually made me laugh out loud...

I thought it was ok, especially because of the soundtrack (though it's very hip lately to use indie music in the soundtracks)
WARNING: "500 days of Summer" spoilers below
but I really disliked Levitt's eventual meltdown. It's not only pretty unrealistic, it made it fairly difficult for me to sympathize with him (especially because the majority of the film is supposed to set him up as a likable character), that sort of behavior is just not acceptable, no matter what happened to you, let alone something relatively trivial as a failed relationship. Plus, I thought Deschanel came off as a frigid bitch, instead of a quirky femme fatale, which made her eventual marriage pretty unbelivable
...:\ Still, it had its moments, a few of which actually made me laugh out loud...
Leads me to believe you haven't been in many relationships. Because a. you think breakups are trivial and b. you don't know women are unpredictable/whimsical. I think most of it was realistic.

I said relatively trivial, I can't imagine anyone having that kind of a breakdown short of finding out you have cancer... And I didn't see anything unpredictable about her character prior to the marriage, she just seemed cold, emotionally vacant. Wasn't that the whole set up, that she's been so traumatized by her parent's divorce she couldn't really get emotionally attached to someone? If it wasn't for that, which the better part of the film tried really hard to establish, I wouldn't have had any problems believing her eventual 180 on love and relationships.
I'm making it sound like I disliked the film, which isn't the case.

I am Jack's sense of overused quote
Adidass, it may be trivial but people do act like Tom after break ups. (Although I must admit, not for that long).

Spoilers....

My biggest complaint was the ending. If the film ended with Tom on the bench on the park, it was one my favorites of all time. We don't need the ending to tell us he is getting his life back together and will meet someone else. Of course he will meet someone else. He was obiously getting his life back together. I thought the movie did a great job of showing us rather than telling (if you can understand my meaning) throughout, but the ending simply told us "TOM WILL BE OK!"

But all in all, I enjoyed it. I really have become a big Joseph Gordon-Levitt fan.

Your complaining that the film didn't make sense when I think the film is making a point of the fact that relationships don't make sense.

I really liked this film. To be honest though with Zooey Deschanel and a Smiths soundtrack, it couldn't fail to please.

a MUST watch in my opinion- i deeply enjoyed watching this film- its one of those movies you have to have on your shelf to watch it every so often
(watch it if you haven't) 4/5

I just felt that it was nothing special with most romcoms except the main female character who really just lacked any charisma or acting ability. The split screen was cool but the humour was nothing original or special and in general, so was the story. It was just average
I agree totally. It was really a collection of supposedly 'kooky' things and an indie soundtrack so people would think it was 'quirky'. The constant and unconvincing attempts to be kooky really did my head in and the guy was just dull.

When Regina Spektor's 'Us' came on as the introduction song I immediately had higher hopes for what I initially had thought would be an ok flick. The film uses an interesting way of telling the story by jumping back and forth to random events throughout a 500 day long relationship of our two main characters. I had some laughs in the first thirty or forty minutes; the Disney shout out was hilarious. About two thirds in I realized how bored I had become. The characters were just off. It's easy to see that Summer and Tom are not right for each other, I get that this is the point of the story, but who really wants to watch that? This movie is just like any bad relationship, fun in the beginning, then drags to a boring end.

5/10

Thought he lost everything,then he lost a whole lot more.
I enjoyed 500 days of summer,it is in my opinion a charming indie movie.
It's a pity that Zooey Deschanel left the big screen for a stale sitcom.

About two thirds in I realized how bored I had become. The characters were just off. It's easy to see that Summer and Tom are not right for each other, I get that this is the point of the story, but who really wants to watch that? This movie is just like any bad relationship, fun in the beginning, then drags to a boring end.

5/10
Agreed. It really drags and the characters just aren't very likeable. Tom's a whinger and Summer's a bitch.