Reading Tab

Tools    

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by PimpDaShizzle V2.0
Why in the hell does everyone LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Chuck Palahniuk? He's a horrible writer. Don't bother with the, "That's just your opinion, DOOD..." because my opinion is universal and emperical from where I'm froming from. Shilawab' hukjus'. You've just been cursed and that means eventually you'll die. I'd suggest some Where's Waldo or Goosebumps. Those always put the jam on my toast.
Well.... it IS just your opinion if you don't back it up with at least why you think he's terrible. I'm just sayin'.

There's treachery afoot!!!

The Areas of My Expertise- John Hodgman

The funniest book I have ever read.

Madness and Civilization - Michel Foucault

Lets all jump onto the 'ship of fools' and sail away to happiness!

Just started reading this

I got for good luck my black tooth.
High Fidelity by Nick Hornby

Love the movie, loved the book.

In the Beginning...
Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk

Like watching the film, but making much more sense. There were changes, obviously: some I liked, some I didn't. Overall wacky, insightful, and haunting story.

In the Beginning...
Tried to read Sideways by Rex Pickett (on which the film is based), but it's pretty awful. The story isn't bad, as I adore the film, but Pickett just doesn't write very well. His prose is amateur at best, and his dialogue needs improvement. It doesn't flow well, and he writes about every little thing that happens. For some reason, he doesn't construct scenes like film (which is odd, being the supposed screenwriter that he is). He remains with the characters from the time they enter a setting to the time they exit. There are no cuts and breaks, or even lapses in time. I feel like a voyeur watching every step, which would be less of a problem if the dialogue wasn't so wooden and rudimentary.

I made it through a few chapters before putting it down. I might come back to it eventually, or just read it whilst I'm on the crapper.

On the Ning Nang Nong
Where the cows go Bong!
And the Monkeys all say Boo!
There's a Nong Nang Ning
Where the trees go Ping!
And the tea pots Jibber Jabber Joo.
On the Nong Ning Nang
All the mice go Clang!
And you just can't catch 'em when they do!
So it's Ning Nang Nong!
Cows go Bong!
Nong Nang Ning!
Trees go Ping!
Nong Ning Nang!
The mice go Clang!
What a noisey place to belong
Is the Ning Nang Ning Nang Nong!

-Spike Milligan

I am reading a book of silly poems I owned as a kid.

Reading Watt.

"Abandoned my little to find him. My little to learn him forgot. My little rejected to have him. To love him my little reviled. This body homeless. This mind ignoring. These emptied hands. This emptied heart. To him I brought. To the temple. To the teacher. To the source. Of nought."

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Lance McCool
Hell's Angels
By Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
You know he got the holy crap beat out of him when the Hell's Angels found out that he only joined to write that book?

Originally Posted by Sleezy
You know he got the holy crap beat out of him when the Hell's Angels found out that he only joined to write that book?
Yeah, it's in the epilogue.

Thompson was actually riding with them for over a year and became pretty good friends with some of the more... polite members. They all knew he was writing about them - He got stomped because of an unrelated altercation that he never revealed in the book.

Just bought John le Carre - The constant gardener. Enjoyed the film, I hope the book is even better.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Lance McCool
Yeah, it's in the epilogue.

Thompson was actually riding with them for over a year and became pretty good friends with some of the more... polite members. They all knew he was writing about them - He got stomped because of an unrelated altercation that he never revealed in the book.
Ah, so the professor who told me about it was slightly incorrect. Thanks for clearing it up. (I'm always amazed at the lengths to which writers will go to write books. Thompson joined the Hell's Angels, Ken Kesey actually committed himself to research for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and it goes on and on. Crazy.)

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk.

This book was kind of episodic. It could be split ultimately into two halves where a major event divides the two. The first one has humor, humanity depth and warmth, while the second tackles a theme of detachment and the danger our society is in that is starting to get stale after being so endlessly examined. Also the two big reveals are a bit clumsy. Seeing as how Palahniuk writes in a way that is so cynical and jaded, he of all authors should have known that it's almost impossible to shock people anymore. However the second half of the book retained just enough elements of the first to keep it interesting. B+

There's treachery afoot!!!
I'm reading Eragon right now and it's a really good book. I'm looking forward to the movie.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
I tend to have multiple incomplete books in a stack and read them as the mood strikes.

Rereading my first love, Jane Eyre.

The Weather Warden Series by Rachel Caine.

Kim Wilkins, The Autumn Castle

Also a bunch of women-kicking butt fantasy/magic series and standalones (such as Anne Bishop - Tir Alainn Series).

Picking up my episodic quest to scour the world for literate erotica (anthologies and Alexander Trocchi).

Also reading women's sizzle stuff such as Emma Holly.

Desperately awaiting next texts by Charlaine Harris, Laurell K Hamilton, and Kelley Armstrong. These are my core reading texts.

Originally Posted by thmilin
I tend to have multiple incomplete books in a stack and read them as the mood strikes.

Rereading my first love, Jane Eyre.

The Weather Warden Series by Rachel Caine.

Kim Wilkins, The Autumn Castle

Also a bunch of women-kicking butt fantasy/magic series and standalones (such as Anne Bishop - Tir Alainn Series).

Picking up my episodic quest to scour the world for literate erotica (anthologies and Alexander Trocchi).

Also reading women's sizzle stuff such as Emma Holly.

Desperately awaiting next texts by Charlaine Harris, Laurell K Hamilton, and Kelley Armstrong. These are my core reading texts.

You need to find a focus....just a thought.

R.A. Salvatore would probably put a bit-o-relief to that sauciness.