Sick and tired of sequels ruining classic movies.

Tools    

Ive just seen the full length trailer for Terminator Salvation and it looks interesting thanks to Christan Bale and Sam Worthington. But motorcycle terminators make me think twice. Terminator 3 played on television the other night and I watched it knowing it would be bad. I didn't remember how poorly put together it was. It inspired me to watch Terminator 2 and even though it was probably the thousandth time Ive seen it, it was still entertaining and captivating.
I can't stand no talent directors being payed to ruin original stories and characters.
AVP AVP2 Alien Resurrection Terminator 3, the batman sequels after Batman Returns (not the remakes) come to mind, there are many more.

You're a Genius all the time
I hate the argument some people like to make that a godawful prequel/sequel/remake can in no way ruin a classic original. That is so untrue. Obviously the numero uno culprit is George Lucas and anyone who says he didn't tarnish even a little bit of Star Wars or Indy is just lying to themselves. It's especially bad in series of movies where the geeky mythology is half the fun

[ Okay, so don't watch them.

Their existence alone shouldn't prevent you from enjoying the iterations that you like... right? ]

It does actually. You hear about a sequel coming out, you get excited only to waste your time and money seeing a cheap reproduction. Does anyone like the movies Ive named ? Does anyone think they stand up to the originals ? If so Id like to hear reasons why. Lets discuss, start a real dialogue instead of "Okay, so don't watch them. " I am complaining but I think its a legitimate complaint.

Not watching them and/or not paying attention to them is a perfectly reasonable solution to the problem.

I've never understood why remakes and/or sequels are said to 'ruin' the originals. Those films still stand in their own right irrespective of any remake or sequel.

I suppose like most things it boils down to opinion. Chef, I wouldn't say that a prequel or sequel wouldn't ruin a movie for *you*. I said it generally makes no nevermind to *me*.

Not watching them and/or not paying attention to them is a perfectly reasonable solution to the problem.

I've never understood why remakes and/or sequels are said to 'ruin' the originals. Those films still stand in their own right irrespective of any remake or sequel.

I suppose like most things it boils down to opinion. Chef, I wouldn't say that a prequel or sequel wouldn't ruin a movie for *you*. I said it generally makes no nevermind to *me*.
For example, say they made a sequel to E.T. and it had a fledgling director and a no name cast and it was horrible, you wouldn't be bothered by it ?

And Chef, I don't think the new Star Wars films are bad, they live up to the Star Wars name even if they aren't as huge as the originals.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I hate the argument some people like to make that a godawful prequel/sequel/remake can in no way ruin a classic original. That is so untrue. Obviously the numero uno culprit is George Lucas and anyone who says he didn't tarnish even a little bit of Star Wars or Indy is just lying to themselves. It's especially bad in series of movies where the geeky mythology is half the fun
I apparently lie to myself all the time... What's your excuse?

For example, say they made a sequel to E.T. and it had a fledgling director and a no name cast and it was horrible, you wouldn't be bothered by it ?

And Chef, I don't think the new Star Wars films are bad, they live up to the Star Wars name even if they aren't as huge as the originals.

I'd likely ignore it.

In the cases where I don't ignore it I'm just not bothered by shortcomings. Maybe it's just that I expect it so I don't have any real rocks to push around after I've seen something sub-par to expected canon.

Again, just me. I recognize the fact that I represent the minority position in this argument.

Yeah, well, I'm all about blanket statements and rapidly changing, contradictory opinions. I have a hard time seeing your side of this argument and I respect you less for having the opinion that you do.

Yeah, well, I'm all about blanket statements and rapidly changing, contradictory opinions. I have a hard time seeing your side of this argument and I respect you less for having the opinion that you do.
I love you too.

Back on topic:

Here's a question; why would you folks who expect so much from sequels/prequels that you get upset about being disappointed by them expect so much from them in the first place? It's not like many franchises have a great track record of improving as the story continues... so why continually set yourselves up for disappointment?

It seems to me that based on available data the reasonable approach would be to not expect much and then be occasionally surprised versus the opposite condition.

Back on topic:

Here's a question; why would you folks who expect so much from sequels/prequels that you get upset about being disappointed by them expect so much from them in the first place? It's not like many franchises have a great track record of improving as the story continues... so why continually set yourselves up for disappointment?

It seems to me that based on available data the reasonable approach would be to not expect much and then be occasionally surprised versus the opposite condition.
In the case of AVP and Terminator both have good track records , both first and second movies were solid classics.
I don't expect a lot from the sequels to any old film, just classics and like the films I mentioned. In most cases I hope they don't go near them.

It's not the disappointment. For me, it's A) the sheer unnecessity of a sequel/prequel/remake, B) the complete and utter disregard for the fans of the orginal pictures and C) the fact that every time I watch the orginal I have to think about A & B and how much the sequel/prequel/remake/filmmaker sucks. There are other reasons, too, but those are the three biggies, I think.

And, again, for films or series of films with dorky mythologies, it's a doubly egregious .... slap.

Can I say ".... slap" on the Movie Forums?

It's not the disappointment. For me, it's A) the sheer unnecessity of a sequel/prequel/remake, B) the complete and utter disregard for the fans of the orginal pictures and C) the fact that every time I watch the orginal I have to think about A & B and how much the sequel/prequel/remake/filmmaker sucks. There are other reasons, too, but those are the three biggies, I think.
I second that.

In the case of AVP and Terminator both have good track records , both first and second movies were solid classics.
I don't expect a lot from the sequels to any old film only the films, just the films I mentioned. In most cases I hope they don't go near them.
That's fair enough then. I took your criticism to be a bit more wide sweeping.

Off topic a little, did you like Predator 2? For me that film was every bit as good as the original.