Mad Max: Fury Road - Most overrated movie of 2015?

Tools    

Documentaries contain plenty of fiction too. I think the point is that you can't give any more value for a film being historically accurate than you can for it supposedly being a fantasy. Personally you can, of course, but for the purpose of somehow arguing successfully for or against one film vis-à-vis another, it carries no weight.
Thank you for clarifying.

Well in that case why is there any argument? This is a matter of individual taste. If the fact that true events have no impact on someone then I guess thats that.

In that case I have an incredible movie for you:

I actually have thought about seeing that, but didnt because it was based off true events. Maybe a part of my subconscious abhors making celebrities out of real serial killers, I dont know.

I actually have thought about seeing that, but didnt because it was based off true events. Maybe a part of my subconscious abhors making celebrities out of real serial killers, I dont know.
If they were celebrities before they aren't now.

All it was based on was someone apparently breaking into the directors house and others in his neighbourhood when he was a kid. There were no murders.
And it was most predictable piece of **** horror movie on the face of the planet.

Haven't seen it. I really wanted to when it was just out after seeing the trailer, heard basically what you are saying from most.
At least ATM was surprising in the levels of utter stupidity it managed to reach. At least I got a laugh out of that.

I'd recommend watching the original film first. The two are very different, but there's no question the director of The Strangers took some notes. Also, neither one is actually based on a true story. They're based on true events, which just means that this stuff does happen (break-ins, etc) but not necessarily how it's portrayed in the film.

Oh, it is a film called ATM. I thought it stood for something haha.
It stands for a movie in which an unarmed killer intimidates 3 equally capable adults into trapping themselves in a public ATM booth and attempts to drown them in it.

It stands for a movie in which an unarmed killer intimidates 3 equally capable adults into trapping themselves in a public ATM booth and attempts to drown them in it.
I may have to go watch this.

Welcome to the human race...
Okay, you have to get off the my criticism is better than your criticism thing. No, I don't write 5,000 word essays on everything I see, but I am not especially reductive either. Plus when I am, I am more than willing to admit it and further the conversation. The thing about this article is it goes a long way to tell you that Hulk was not immersed in The Revenant, but it is beautiful so he can see why people are. I am fine with his criticisms actually. I can certainly see The Revenant leaving some one cold. Where The Sean says bullsh!t is when the hyperbole kicks in for Mad Max. Again, I understand why people love this movie so much but to use at as a case against The Revenant is misrepresenting what Mad Max is. To say the characters are more well defined is weak. There isn't a character in The Revenant that doesn't have clear motivations. If The Hulk loved The Revenant he could have easily kept the same adjectives in this piece and flip flopped the movie title and director names. It is a long essay but that doesn't mean it isn't a puff piece. No, I'm not going to write an equally long essay to say why I think he is wrong. If that's what your going to come back with, save it. Because that becomes as reductive as "that movie was boring".
Yeah, but the whole reason that Hulk compared Mad Max against The Revenant in the first place is to examine the importance of cinematic language and how a film's visuals are used to communicate with the audience, especially when it comes to the development of a story and its characters. In this regard, he argues that Mad Max is more effective at doing it in a way that does not suggest that he is "misrepresenting" it (which seems like a loaded and presumptuous word anyway, as if there is only one "right" way to treat Mad Max and any other interpretation is suspect). Sure, it's a whizz-bang action sci-fi movie, but the ways in which it's well-made go above just simply setting up explosive car chases. To say the characters in Mad Max are 'more well-defined" is not supposed to imply that the characters in The Revenant don't have clearly-defined motivations, but that there is more to a character than just a motivation in a vacuum, especially when that particular character's motivation is challenged throughout the film (which arguably happens to Glass, but is also present in Max, Furiosa, and Nux at least). This is even illustrated in the article by the scene where Max and Furiosa first meet and almost immediately get into a no-holds-barred fist-fight, which has a palpable tension to it precisely because we know that they both have understandable (even sympathetic) motivations for fighting each other so there is some investment in seeing who wins or even if anyone gets hurt. At the very least, there's more going on with this article than can be altered with a mere word-replacement. Still, I guess if you're willing to admit that you're being reductive, then it certainly makes it easier to take your arguments with a grain of salt.

On a totally unrelated note, is there anyone who actually has a suggestion for "most overrated film of 2015" that isn't The Revenant or Mad Max?

Yeah, but the whole reason that Hulk compared Mad Max against The Revenant in the first place is to examine the importance of cinematic language and how a film's visuals are used to communicate with the audience, especially when it comes to the development of a story and its characters. In this regard, he argues that Mad Max is more effective at doing it in a way that does not suggest that he is "misrepresenting" it (which seems like a loaded and presumptuous word anyway, as if there is only one "right" way to treat Mad Max and any other interpretation is suspect). Sure, it's a whizz-bang action sci-fi movie, but the ways in which it's well-made go above just simply setting up explosive car chases. To say the characters in Mad Max are 'more well-defined" is not supposed to imply that the characters in The Revenant don't have clearly-defined motivations, but that there is more to a character than just a motivation in a vacuum, especially when that particular character's motivation is challenged throughout the film (which arguably happens to Glass, but is also present in Max, Furiosa, and Nux at least). This is even illustrated in the article by the scene where Max and Furiosa first meet and almost immediately get into a no-holds-barred fist-fight, which has a palpable tension to it precisely because we know that they both have understandable (even sympathetic) motivations for fighting each other so there is some investment in seeing who wins or even if anyone gets hurt. At the very least, there's more going on with this article than can be altered with a mere word-replacement. Still, I guess if you're willing to admit that you're being reductive, then it certainly makes it easier to take your arguments with a grain of salt.

On a totally unrelated note, is there anyone who actually has a suggestion for "most overrated film of 2015" that isn't The Revenant or Mad Max?
Do you think the fight between Furiosa and Max has any more tension and character development then the sequence with Hugh, John, and Bridger? I sure don't. If we are talking about directors telling stories visually, there might not be anyone better than Innaritu at getting us in the heads of his characters with a camera.

I'd like to nominate Dope, Sicario, and Steve Jobs for that distinction. I thought Mad Max was great, and it's hard to call the Revenant overrated because the reviews for it weren't that great: the consensus is that it is an above average film with stunning visuals and great performances, and it met that in my eye. It is properly rated.

Dope has 0 replay value and I didn't like it that much to begin with. Shameik Moore is a star, but the plot is cliched, the rapper cameos are bad, and the "racial insights" are a joke. Sicario is the best made of the three, so calling it "overrated" might be inappropriate, but on a personal level I found it frustrating how much information was withheld from the audience. I understand why it was done that way, but it made me not care once stuff started hitting the fan. Steve Jobs is an adequate movie, but easily the worst thing Danny Boyle has done in years, and I think the praise was excessive (Winslet was fine, but not awards worthy, script had great parts, but wasn't consistent, etc).

Im sure Film Crit Hulk if he had a top ten, would have mostly animated movies. He may be able to properly convey why he thought Revenant was inferior to Fury Road, but I doubt the idiot could sit thru Judgement At Nuremburg or even heard of it. So he can keep writing why he thinks stuff, but it aint worth hearing cause plainly put Iro, I bet you and many other posters here have a bigger grasp of good cinema than FCH.

The Hateful Eight. Alot of good, some stinky bad, and way too long cause QT thinks he drips perfection.

Welcome to the human race...
Do you think the fight between Furiosa and Max has any more tension and character development then the sequence with Hugh, John, and Bridger? I sure don't. If we are talking about directors telling stories visually, there might not be anyone better than Innaritu at getting us in the heads of his characters with a camera.
That's what happens when you push a camera up close to someone's face.

I'd like to nominate Dope, Sicario, and Steve Jobs for that distinction. I thought Mad Max was great, and it's hard to call the Revenant overrated because the reviews for it weren't that great: the consensus is that it is an above average film with stunning visuals and great performances, and it met that in my eye. It is properly rated.

Dope has 0 replay value and I didn't like it that much to begin with. Shameik Moore is a star, but the plot is cliched, the rapper cameos are bad, and the "racial insights" are a joke. Sicario is the best made of the three, so calling it "overrated" might be inappropriate, but on a personal level I found it frustrating how much information was withheld from the audience. I understand why it was done that way, but it made me not care once stuff started hitting the fan. Steve Jobs is an adequate movie, but easily the worst thing Danny Boyle has done in years, and I think the praise was excessive (Winslet was fine, but not awards worthy, script had great parts, but wasn't consistent, etc).
Yeah, I can see that. I really wanted to like Dope, but at the end of the day it's merely okay in its execution for the reasons you outlined (especially with the climatic monologue). Sicario seems like it's appropriately rated - I'd have liked to see it get a bit more recognition come awards season but it's an exceptionally solid film and one of my favourites from 2015. Steve Jobs is pretty weak, but as far as I'm concerned it might just be the best film he's done since Sunshine (and even then that's largely by default).

Im sure Film Crit Hulk if he had a top ten, would have mostly animated movies. He may be able to properly convey why he thought Revenant was inferior to Fury Road, but I doubt the idiot could sit thru Judgement At Nuremburg or even heard of it. So he can keep writing why he thinks stuff, but it aint worth hearing cause plainly put Iro, I bet you and many other posters here have a bigger grasp of good cinema than FCH.
Ah, yes, the classic "Go Back To Watching Transformers" fallacy. Because you seem so interested, I actually found a top ten for Film Crit Hulk. Here's what it says:

Originally Posted by FILM CRIT HULK
1. TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD
2. ALL THAT JAZZ
3. MULHOLLAND DR.
4. THE FRENCH CONNECTION
5. DO THE RIGHT THING
6. PANDORA’S BOX
7. ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND
8. HAPPY GO LUCKY
9. Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN
10. SUPERCOP

On the List: HERE’S HULK’S PERSONAL TOP 10 LIST. “BEST” IS A TOUGHER CALL THAN “FAVORITE” SO HULK OPTING FOR THE LATTER. SOME OF THESE FILMS EXPAND THE POSSIBILITIES OF CINEMA. SOME OF THEM EXPAND THE POSSIBILITIES OF SOCIETY. SOME OF THEM JUST SAY SOMETHING TRULY MEANINGFUL. BUT IN THE END, THEY MERELY HULK’S FAVORITES.

HONORABLE MENTIONS: WHITE HEAT, THE IRON GIANT, THE THING, HIS GIRL FRIDAY, AN AFFAIR OF LOVE, L’AVVENTURA, WHOSE AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?, COCKFIGHTER, TAXI ZUM KLO, THE THIN RED LINE, CHILDREN OF MEN, ONCE, ROSEMARY’S BABY, AND EVERYTHING KUBRICK EVER DID
Not only is it a heady mix of prestige pictures and foreign fare, but there's only one animated movie that got mentioned and it wasn't even in the top ten (plus it's The Iron Giant). This is why you don't make assumptions about people's whole tastes based on what they think of a couple of movies. It's bad form, pure and simple.

The Hateful Eight. Alot of good, some stinky bad, and way too long cause QT thinks he drips perfection.
An understandable choice.

I may have to go watch this.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
Ah, yes, the classic "Go Back To Watching Transformers" fallacy. Because you seem so interested, I actually found a top ten for Film Crit Hulk. Here's what it says:

Not only is it a heady mix of prestige pictures and foreign fare, but there's only one animated movie that got mentioned and it wasn't even in the top ten (plus it's The Iron Giant). This is why you don't make assumptions about people's whole tastes based on what they think of a couple of movies. It's bad form, pure and simple.
Thaaank you.

That's what happens when you push a camera up close to someone's face.
I'll repeat the question because the assertion that Mad Max is a clinic in character development is really bothering the crap out of me. Do you think the fight between Furiosa and Max has any more tension and character development then the sequence with Hugh, John, and Bridger?