Digging to China

→ in
Tools    

Digging to China

I caught this 1998 movie this morning and what a pleasure it was. Kevin Bacon as a mentally impaired man who is befriended by 10 year old, Evan Rachel Wood. I hadn't seen Wood in anything but 13 (excellent BTW) and she was terrific. What a pity that excellent child actors don't last forever.

These kinds of movies are too rare. Movies that spend 90 minutes (not 2) getting to know the characters. Wood and Bacon had a lot of screen time and they were both up to the task. Wood as Harriet is a smart, curious, adventurous girl who isn't afraid to befriend someone different. She and Bacon (Ricky) form a wonderful "childhood" friendship that is truly touching at times. They had a scene late in the movie, when Ricky is leaving for "a home" that is powerful and Bacon is superb.

Mary Stuart Masterson plays Harriet's older sister (or is she?) who doesn't really understand the innocent and special relationship between Harriet and Ricky. Cathy Moriarty is Harriet's mom.

For a terrific story and performances of simple events that add up to much more than first appearances, check out Digging to China.

Directed by Timothy Hutton
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Haven't seen or surprisingly even heard of this film before reading this review but like "birdygyrl", i'm definately going to keep an eye open for it.

Good review.

I wipe my ass with your feelings
I remember watching it on HBO when I was younger. I watched it and totally forgot it, but it was definitely a movie that's stuck in the back of my head for awhile now.
We're soldiers. Soldiers don't go to hell. It's war. Soldiers, they kill other soldiers. We're in a situation where everybody involved knows the stakes. And if you're gonna accept those stakes... You gotta do certain things. It's business, we're soldiers. We follow codes... Orders.

you may also enjoy Sling Blade for its similar lengthy characterization and storyline relationship between a child and a mentally impaired adult...see also House of D, perhaps

Horrorphiliac