What was the last movie you saw at the theaters?

Tools    

Just saw Brick, I thought it was pretty average, couldn't understand a word they said. Plus Joseph Gordon-Levitt was nowhere near as good looking as he was in Mysterious Skin, which is possibly the most screwed up film ever made.

And that kid off Witness is 30 now? Wow...

Originally Posted by Zeiken
Yeah- my expectations exceeded. (but again, not hard to do.)
Yeah well your fac........oh yeah nm you won that battle.

That sounds like a tasteful piece.

Success is the only Earthly judge..
That would be MI3

Art School Confidential

If you're feeling depressed, don't see this movie. It has nothing good to say about our species. If you're a cynic and enjoy having your cynicism validated, this movie might be a fun time.

I've never much enjoyed the sort of character who is the lead in Art School. He's shy, socially awkward, introverted, knows he's "better" than most of the numbnuts who are getting the girls and the rewards. In summary, that sort of character is too much like me and it's painful to watch. ;-)

Art School is big on the Harsh Truth. And that may be its one redeeming feature. That and a nude Sophia Myles. She was very good in the otherwise mediocre Tristan and Isolde and she played a completely different character here with equal competence.

But back to the harsh truth. Jerome, the lead character and aspiring artist at the Art School, watches in disbelief and later disgust as inferior (in his opinion and mine) artists are praised and win accolades while his efforts go mostly unnoticed or are harshly criticised. At the same time, he's infatuated with dreamy nude model, Audrey who is friendly but gravitates toward the new "talent" on campus, hunky Jonah; whose work Jerome sees as amateurish crap (and it is.) Once again, poor Jerome loses out to a no talent Neanderthal.

There's a brief episode (similar to Inside the Actors Studio with James Lipton) where an Art School graduate who has "made it" appears on stage. He's obviously a prick and is asked by one student why he's an ass. His answer is basically "I've made it and now I can afford to be myself." No one seems embarrassed about being an ass in this movie. And most all of the characters qualify. Even Jerome, who is mostly just an ineffectual loser sinks to another level of despair at the end. And it's only when his innocence is gone and he joins the ranks of the notorious, does he achieve success. Good guys really do finish last. ;-)

There's another character and artist who has long accepted the "world sucks" view and is now a drunken slob and a kind of sage to aspiring young philosophers of world suckism. More of that Harsh Truth emits from the mouth of the old philosopher. But really, nearly everyone in the movie is an adherent of Suckism to varying degrees. If you're an optimist and your glass is always half full, this is not the movie for you. ;-)

But anyhow, John Malcovich is here and he's always interesting to watch. Sophia Myles I believe has better things in store for her. Max Minghella, who plays Jerome is a sad looking kid with sensitive good looks (making it a little hard to believe the virgin story) but it's revealed that he's very picky about his women (until he meets the lovely Audrey.)

So, cynics rejoice and those who love feel good movies with happy endings, mourn.

Rating: C- I'm a cynic but I just can't feel good about cynical movies
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

I just saw Tony Takitani - a fine film, very slow, with minimal dialogue, but totally engaging. I was particularly impressed that the director had the good sense to keep the running time down, as otherwise he would have run a serious risk of it becoming very boring. 4/5.

Last movie in theatres was American Haunting....kind of lame.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
The Hills Have Eyes (third time)
Mission Impossible III
Poseidon
Hard Candy

The Adventure Starts Here!
Last movie was with the four offspring (mine, not the band) when Yods bought us all tickets and snax for my birfday. We saw MI3 -- it was all actiony 'n junk!

M:I3!!!!!

It was awesome. It would have been less awesome if it wasn't so unconsciously compared to M:I 2, but hey, I still wanna see it again.

The Skeleton Key.
I can't believe it's been that long since i've been!

The university had a theater screening of Akira on friday. Cool to see it on a big screen with a proper sound system. Even better to watch it with about 100 other people to hear their cries of confusion at the end. Muahaha...

Sir! No, Sir! (2006 - David Zeiger)

Excellent documentary recounting the protests of the Vietnam War that happened from within the military - Servicemen and women from all branches who knew firsthand what was going on In Country and decided they could no longer just go along with their orders. It started with a few scattered individuals who would rather face a Court Martial than take part in what they saw as an unjust and unwinnable war, and hit a boiling point by 1968 and 1969 with the revelation of the My Lai Massacre and events at home like the assassination of Martin Luther King and the clash at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago, growing into a network of underground hand-made newspapers and coffeehouse meeting places off-base Stateside, large public demonstrations (sometimes even in uniform), thousands of desertions and by the early '70s fraggings of officers and whole units that simply refused their orders, helping to force the Nixon Administration's hand in finally ending the U.S. military involvement in Southeast Asia. Interviews with a couple dozen of these Veterans along with lots of period footage and photographs paint a vivid and inspiring chapter of mostly buried history, including a debunking of soldiers being spit upon by hippies and called babykiller upon returning to the States, which seems to be all but an urban legend and a line in First Blood.

GRADE: A-
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I saw The Squid and the Whale a few days ago, very funny and quite touching in parts. Jeff Daniels makes a good (and very amusing) job of portraying a complete bastard. All in all I thought it was a really good film, 4/5.

I also saw West Side Story for the first time today at the arthouse, it's amazing how much these people manage to get done in one day. I felt it was overlong though, and pretty uninteresting; Baz Luhrmann did the best job of Romeo and Juliet in my opinion, and there are far better musicals out there too. 2/5.