Top Ten Comedies of the '90s

Tools    

Timing, here's a partial list of film comedy in the '90s. Which ones were actually funny is your call...

1990: The Adventures of Ford Fairlane, Another 48 Hrs., Betsy's Wedding, Cadillac Man, Cry-Baby, Dick Tracy, Downtown, Edwrad Scissorhands, Ernest Goes to Jail, The Freshman, Green Card, Home Alone, House Party, Joe vs. the Volcano, Kindergarten Cop, Loose Cannons, Men at Work, Miami Blues, Nuns on the Run, Postcards from the Edge, Pretty Woman, Problem Child, Quick Change, Repossessed, Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead, Texasville, Tremors, Wild at Heart

1991: The Addams Family, Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey, The Dark Backward, Defending Your Life, Delicatessen, Doc Hollywood, Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead, Ernest Scared Stupid, Father of the Bride, The Hard Way, He Said,She Said, Hear My Song, Hot Shots!, House Party 2, Hudson Hawk, I Love You to Death, L.A. Story, The Marrying Man, The Naked Gun 21/2: the Smell of Fear, Night On Earth, Nothing But Trouble, Other People's Money, Shakes the Clown, A Shock to the System, Soapdish, What About Bob?

1992: Aladdin, Beethoven, Bob Roberts, Boomerang, Brain Donors, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Captain Ron, City Slickers, Death Becomes Her, Diggstown, The Distinguished Gentleman, Encino Man, Hero, Home Alone 2: Lost in New York, Housesitter, A League of Their Own, Leap of Faith, The Mighty Ducks, Mistress, Mo Money, My Cousin Vinny, Peter's Friend's, The Playboys, Singles, Sister Act, Stop! or My Mom Will Shoot, Toys, Wayne's World, White Men Can't Jump

1993: Addams Family Values, Amos & Andrew, Benny & Joon, CB4, Cool Runnings, Dave, Fatal Instinct, Fear of Black Hat, For Love or Money, Groundhog Day, Grumpy Old Men, Heart & Souls, Hot Shots! Part Deux, House Party 3, Mad Dog & Glory, Made in America, Matinee, Meteor Man, Much Ado About Nothing, National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon, Robin Hood: Men in Tights, Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit, Six Degrees of Separation, Sleepless in Seattle, Son In Law, Wayne's World 2

1994: Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, The Adventures of Priscilla,Queen of the Desert, Airheads, Barcelona, Blankman, Bullets Over Broadway, Cabin Boy, City Slickers 2: The Legend of Curly's Gold, Clerks, Crooklyn, Dumb & Dumber, Ernest Goes to School, Exit to Eden, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Gurading Tess, Heavyweights, The Hudsucker Proxy, I.Q., In the Army Now, It Could Happen to You, Junior, The Mask, Muriel's Wedding, The Naked Gun 331/3: the Final Insult, Natural Born Killers, Nobody's Fool, Only You, PCU, Radioland Murders, The Ref, The Santa Clause, Serial Mom, Sirens, Spanking the Monkey, Speechless

1995: Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls, The American President, Babe, Billy Madison, The Brady Bunch Movie, The Brothers McMullen, Canadian Bacon, Clueless, Cold Comfort Farm, Destiny Turns on the Radio, Dracula: Dead and Loving It, Empire Records, The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill but Came Down a Mountain, Father of the Bride Part II, Forget Paris, Four Rooms, French Kiss, Friday, Funny Bones, Get Shorty, Grumpier Old Men, Home for the Holidays, The Jerky Boys, Jury Duty, Mallrats, Nine Months, Sabrina, Something to Talk About, Swimming with Sharks, To Die For, Tommy Boy, Toy Story, While You Were Sleeping

1996: Beautiful Girls, Beavis & Butt-head Do America, Big Night, Bio-Dome, The Birdcage, Black Sheep, Bottle Rocket, The Cable Guy, Citizen Ruth, Emma, The First Wive's Club, Flirting with Disaster, Happy Gilmore, Kingpin, Mad Dog Time, Mars Attacks!, Mother, Multiplicity, The Nutty Professor, The Pallbearer, Schizopolis, Spy Hard, Tin Cup, The Truth About Cats & Dogs, The Van

1997: Addicted to Love, As Good As It Gets, Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery, Beautician & the Beast, Beverly Hills Ninja, Booty Call, Chasing Amy, The Daytrippers, 8 Heads in a Duffel Bag, Fierce Creatures, Fools Rush In, George of the Jungle, Grosse Pointe Blank, Howard Stern's Private Parts, In & Out, Liar,Liar, A Life Less Ordinary, The Man Who Knew Too Little, The Matchmaker, Men In Black, Mouse Hunt, My Best Friend's Wedding, Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion, That Old Feeling, Touch, Vegas Vacation, Wag the Dog, Waiting for Guffman

1998: Antz, The Big Lebowski, Bulworth, The Butcher Boy, Can't Hardly Wait, Clay Pigeons, Dirty Work, Dr. Dolittle, Half Baked, Happiness, Home Fries, The Impostors, Jane Austin's Mafia, Lawn Dogs, The Object of My Affection, The Opposite of Sex, Paulie, Pecker, Pleasantville, Primary Colors, Rushmore, The Slums of Beverly Hills, Shakespeare in Love, Sour Grapes, Spice World, There's Something About Mary, The Truman Show, Very Bad Things, Waking Ned Devine, The Waterboy, The Wedding Singer, You've Got Mail, Zero Effect

1999: Analyze This, Austin Powers: the Spy Who Shagged Me, American Pie, Being John Malkovich, Big Daddy, Blast from the Past, Blue Streak, Bowfinger, Cookie's Fortune, Dick, Dogma, EdTV, Election, Forces of Nature, Galaxy Quest, Go, Goodbye Lover, Happy,Texas, Life, Lock,Stock & Two Smoking Barrels, Lost & Found, Mumford, Mystery Men, Never Been Kissed, Notting Hill, Office Space, Pushing Tin, Runaway Bride, She's All That, Simply Irresistible, South Park: Bigger,Longer & Uncut, 10 Things I Hate About You, Toy Story 2, 200 Cigarettes
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Holden,

I can't believe you made such an informative list off the top of your head. Is there a web site with such a category of listings or something?

Looking through my list I left a lot of the best movies out.

Now With Moveable Parts
Well duh bigval. If Holden had all that s*** in his head all the time, he'd be clinical. Rainman.

"Uh-oh....I'm an excellent driver....Quantis never crashed....Wet....K-Mart sucks."

I did 1990-1996 with the aid of Microsoft's Cinemania '97, a defunct CD-Rom product that was quite handy before the IMDb hit the net scene. It has a filter you can set by year and genre. For 1997-1999 I used a site that lists all the films released theatrically in the U.S. by year and simply pulled out the ones I recognized as comedies.

Tah-dah.

Now With Moveable Parts
see...

Ah ha!
He's not really smart at all!!

Hail to your new leader!! ME!!

I mean. Um.
Yeah.

Now With Moveable Parts
Silver B...now don't go tooting your own horn yet...lots of people just play on here using knowledge in their head, Holden is the ONLY one that I know of that uses an alternate source. Could be wrong though. However...If you would just lead them to victory, they would follow you...and so would I.<<<< Name that movie.

Okay, you win, Sades.

SADES IS THE NEW RULER!!
FOLLOW HER TO VICTORY!!

Or something.

What movie?

if i had that kind of a movie memory, I'd shoot myself.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
Okay, you win, Sades.

SADES IS THE NEW RULER!!
FOLLOW HER TO VICTORY!!

Or something.

What movie?
Braveheart.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I use Movie Hound Golden Retriever myself.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

1. The Big Lebowski
2. Bottle Rocket
3. Rushmore
4. Wayne's World
5. Lock, Stock, and two Smoking Barrels
6. Happy Gilmore
7. Billy Madison
8. Flirting With Disaster
9. Grosse Pointe Blank
10. Office Space
11. (I have to) Mars Attacks!

Some of my favorites
(In No Order)

Happy Gilmore (1996)
He doesn't play golf... he destroys it.

Shooter McGavin: Damn you people. Go back to your shanties.

Tommy Boy (1995)
Tommy: Does this suit make me look fat?
Richard: No, your face does.

Shadows and Fog (1992)
Irmy: I slept with one person for money. Does that makes me a whore?
Kleinmann: No, only by the dictionary definition.

Groundhog Day (1993)
Phil Connors: It's the same things your whole life. "Clean up your room!", "Stand up straight!", "Pick up your feet!", "Take it like a man!", "Be nice to your sister!", "Don't mix beer and wine, ever!". Oh yeah, "Don't drive on the railroad track!"
Gus: Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with.

What About Bob? (1991)
Bob's a special kind of friend. The kind that drives you crazy!

Hard Way, The (1991)
John Moss: Why don't you go tie your dick in a knot?

Blue in the Face (1995)
Tommy: I don't eat ****. It's against my religion.
Pete: What religion is that?
Tommy: The religion of sanity, Peter. You should try it some time.

Diggstown (1992)
Where the pros meet the cons.

Joe Versus the Volcano (1990)
Dr. Ellison: And what did you do in the fire department?
Joe: Well... I put out fires.

Joe: So I'm not sick? Except for this terminal disease?

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead (1990)
Guildenstern: I think I have it. A man talking sense to himself is no madder than a man talking nonsense not to himself.
Rosencrantz: Or just as mad.
Guildenstern: Or just as mad.
Rosencrantz: And he does both.
Guildenstern: So there you are.
Rosencrantz: Stark raving sane.

plus tons more thoughts are just a few
________
Iolite review vaporizer

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by L .B . Jeffries
Some of my favorites
Shooter McGavin: Damn you people. Go back to your shanties.

Tommy Boy (1995)
Tommy: Does this suit make me look fat?
Richard: No, your face does.

What About Bob? (1991)
Bob's a special kind of friend. The kind that drives you crazy!
BwHaHaMWAAHAA- I love those movies too.
Shooter:I eat pieces of s*** like you for breakfast!
Billy: You eat pieces of s*** for breakfast?

What About Bob:
*" All I want is some peace and quiet!"
*"I'll be peace."
*" I'll be quiet."

Naw naw, that's backwards. Bob says "I'll be quiet" and then Zigmund replies, while holding up two fingers, "I'll be peace." Giggling ensues. That's a great, great, great movie. Bill Murray is THE man. Well, one of the men, at least.

"I'm sailing! I sail!"

Now With Moveable Parts
There, I fixed it. I didn't know all the character's names, so I just...whatever, I had it right, it just looked wrong.

Howabout Uncle Buck? I love John Candy, and that's when Culkin was still cute.

Uncle Buck: You sure ask a lot of questions
Culkin: I'm a kid; that's my job.

And we might as well include Home Alone

Big Brother: I wouldn't let you sleep in my bed, if you were growing on my @ss.

Mom: Say goodnight Kevin.
Kevin: Goodnight Kevin.

Yeah, "Uncle Buck" is a great movie. My brother seems to hate it, though. Oh, and you didn't fix the quote, actually. I don't care (I ain't gonna go all Holden on ya'), just wanted to mention it, though. John Candy was the man...

"THOSE AREN'T PILLOWS!"

Guy
my list has some cliche ones and some not mentioned here!

10- Bowfinger
9- The Man Who Knew Too Little
8- Rush Hour
7- Election
6- Rushmore
5- There's Something About Mary
4- Groundhog Day
3- Dumb and Dumber
2- Bean
1- Analyze This

Geez, I never made my list. Ah well, here goes...hardly set in stone, though:
  • 10. Kingpin
    "What? I got a boog hangin'?"
  • 9. Being John Malkovich
    "Malkovich Malkovich, Malkovich Malkovich!"
  • 8. The Hudsucker Proxy
    "You know, for kids."
  • 7. Office Space
    "PC Load Letter? What the f*ck does that mean?"
  • 6. Multiplicity
    "Rule number two: no more Dougs!"
  • 5. Rushmore
    "I got punched in the face. What's your excuse?"
  • 4. What About Bob?
    "Take a vacation...from my PROBLEMS!"
  • 3. The Man Who Knew Too Little
    "My dog is dead."
  • 2. Mystery Men
    "I'm just saying: when you split the check evenly the steak eater picks the pocket of the salad man."
  • 1. There's Something About Mary
    "I work with retards."
Wow, that was harder than I thought. I'll probably change my mind on a few soon anyway.

10 great comedies from the 90's this of course is in no particular order and is missing ton's of others a respect and love as much.
this list will change every second like any lists it's always moving.

Manhattan Murder Mystery
Carol Lipton: Larry, I think it's time we reevaluated our lives.
Larry Lipton: I've reevaluated our lives; I got a 10, you got a 6.

Delicatessen
A futuristic comic feast

The Hudsucker Proxy
You know, for kids.

Bullets Over Broadway
Rita: For me, love is very deep, but sex only has to go a few inches

Rushmore
Max: I've applied for early admission to Oxford and the Sorbonne. Harvard is my safety.

The Big Lebowski
Walter Sobchak: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.
The Dude: Yeah, but Walter--
Walter Sobchak: Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon--with nail polish.

Night On Earth
Five Taxis. Five Cities. One Night.

Joe vs. the Volcano
Patricia: You mean you were diagnosed with something called a brain cloud and didn't ask for a second opinion?

Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead
Guildenstern: I think I have it. A man talking sense to himself is no madder than a man talking nonsense not to himself.
Rosencrantz: Or just as mad.
Guildenstern: Or just as mad.
Rosencrantz: And he does both.
Guildenstern: So there you are.
Rosencrantz: Stark raving sane.

Beautiful Girls
Andera: Are you drunk?
Willie: I'm not sure. But the two of you look beautiful tonight.