My Favourite Directors

Tools    

I am the Watcher in the Night
This will not be a list, rather an opinion on who I regard to be my favourite directors. So here I go with my first post:

David Fincher
Best Film: Se7en
Worst Film: The Game

A friend of mine once said to me, "If you've seen one Fincher movie, you've seen them all". He said each movie is essentially the same, dark and gritty, lashed with rain and inhabited by morally dubious characters. To a large extent that's true but then again, you could say all of Tarantino's movies are essentially the same or that all Spielberg blockbusters follow the same formula. And in any case I like the rainy, gritty, morally dubious nature of Fincher flicks.

Some of his recent output hasn't been terrific, with The Social Network and The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo hardly electrifying but he has still managed to produce 2 of this centuries absolute gems, Zodiac and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

"In film, we sculpt time, we sculpt behaviour and we sculpt light."

From what I've seen I would rank them (with ratings a bit stricter to allow bit division of his films):

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
+
Se7en
+
Fight Club
+
The Social Network

Zodiac

Let the night air cool you off
Have you guys who say Alien 3 isn't any good seen the director's cut? It's way better than Aliens at least.

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
From what I've seen:

Zodiac

The Social Network

Fight Club

Se7en

Alien 3

I used to love David Fincher maybe a year or two ago but now he just faded for me.The last his film that I saw was The Social Network which I enjoyed but never felt the desire to see again.I think he is better than average director but I wouldn't place him along the legendary filmmakers.

I used to love David Fincher maybe a year or two ago but now he just faded for me.The last his film that I saw was The Social Network which I enjoyed but never felt the desire to see again.I think he is better than average director but I wouldn't place him along the legendary filmmakers.
I'm not a huge fan of Network either, nor am I a massive fan of Dragon Tatoo but they are both above average movies and it wasn't long ago when he was making great works such as Zodiac.

Seven and Fight Club are 2 of the best movies over the last 2 decades and even Alien 3 is a decent enough sci fi popcorn flick, not reaching the highs of Alien/Aliens or the depths of Resurrection.

Fincher is a very good director. I think Se7en is his most complete film and it might be his best, even though I like Fight Club more.

I've only seen four of his films so far.

Fight Club
+
Se7en

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
+

Zodiac looks like something I would enjoy, so I am adding that to my watchlist.

Edit: It seems it already was in my watchlist.

I think the thing that makes David Fincher (and his films) appealing to viewers is that he kind of bridges the gap between being a quality, artistic and distinguishable director and a mainstream film maker who makes pieces of entertainment that people want to see.

Generally, I enjoy his movies. He stands for a certain quality and I respect him a lot, but indeed, just like Gabrielle, I don't think he's up there with the very very best. He's still really good, though.

John McTiernan
Best Film: Die Hard
Worst Film: Rollerball

McTiernan is easily one of the great action directors of the 1980s, catapulting Bruce Willis into the Hollywood stratosphere with Die Hard and helping solidify Arnie as an action legend with Predator. Mctiernan followed up his 80s success in the action genre with a string of movies over the following 20 years. Some were clumsy in execution (Medicine Man) and others were downright awful (Rollerball).

Through all the lows he still managed to thrill, returning to the Die Hard franchise with Vengeance, a better sequel than Die Hard 2 and putting a comedy twist on his own action formula with The Last Action Hero. Probably the most inconsistent director I'll be writing about, there is no denying McTiernan's place amongst the action greats.

Fincher is a very good director. I think Se7en is his most complete film and it might be his best, even though I like Fight Club more.

I've only seen four of his films so far.

Fight Club
+
Se7en

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
+

Zodiac looks like something I would enjoy, so I am adding that to my watchlist.

Edit: It seems it already was in my watchlist.
Yep, you have to watch Zodiac and I know I've not been enthusing about Network, I reckon you should give it a watch, it is a damn good movie.

Generally, I enjoy his movies. He stands for a certain quality and I respect him a lot, but indeed, just like Gabrielle, I don't think he's up there with the very very best. He's still really good, though.
I'd rate Fincher as one of the top directors over the last couple decades but where he stands with the greats of cinema...he probably wouldn't make it into a top 20 if I was doing such a list, however this is more my way of saying who the directors are that have produced the movies which I have liked the most (hence why McTiernan is on m list).

I seem to have seen all Fincher's films except Alien 3 (I stopped after the first two in the franchise).

I like Fight Club the most.

I feel Se7en is a much better-made thriller than Zodiac, and that The Game is better than The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (the original Swedish film is better than Fincher's remake).

Benjamin Button was ok, but somewhat forgettable, and I feel The Social Network was overhyped and, while somewhat entertaining, suffered from its misrepresentation.

Panic Room was pretty lame.

So I guess I like his output from the 90s more than his subsequent films.

McTiernan is one of my favorite directors too. And let us not forget he made The Hunt For Red October.
Not a huge fan of that one but a very good movie nonetheless, just shows that when McTiernan is on the mark, he can produce some very good pieces of popcorn cinema.

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
From what I've seen from McTiernan.

Predator

Die Hard

Die Hard With A Vengeance

Last Action Hero

(the original Swedish film is better than Fincher's remake).
I've always thought of Fincher's film not as remake but an adaptation. I've always been interested in how people would describe it.

I've always thought of Fincher's film not as remake but an adaptation. I've always been interested in how people would describe it.
Well, you're right. Both the Swedish film and the Hollywood one are adaptations of the novel.

I used the term remake loosely - simply because the Swedish one preceded the other. Having seen both, it's impossible not to compare the two.

Peter Jackson

Film: The Hobbit