Art House Films

Tools    

Not a thread about whether film is art or entertainment or for defining art cinema, but a thread that is purely for discussion of art house films, and whether or not you like them, love them or hate them.

I've noticed a few members on here lately are really into their art films. Some seem to prefer them exclusively over conventional movies. But I'm sure there are some members here who exclusively watch films for entertainment, and either don't watch or don't enjoy art house films.

I myself have only watched a handful of what I'd consider art films. I'd say Dogville leans toward the art house side, and it's one of my favourite movies, though there may be others who wouldn't consider it an art house film at all. So when I say "art house film", interpret that however you want.

Anyway, I keep seeing directors like Ingmar Bergman and Andrei Tarkovsky being praised and held in high regard by quite a few MoFos, and I've come to the realization that most of my favourite movies are pretty conventional, even the black-and-white foreign films I love. I don't feel bad about that. I just realize that there's a whole spectrum of cinema I've yet to discover. I did watch Persona recently, and though I did like it, I must say that it wasn't an easy watch. Not that a film should always be easy to watch, just that I'm not used to watching films like Persona.

I'd honestly like to try and watch more artistic films, however. And I just wanted to get your opinions on art house films...

If you like them, why do you like them? Do you prefer artistic films over more conventional cinema? What made you get into art house films? What art films would you recommend for someone like me?

If you don't like them, why don't you like them? Have you ever watched an art film? Do you you find them hard to watch? If you haven't seen any, would you be open to watching an art house film?

I do like arthouse about equally entertainment films, I like half and I Disklike the other half. I'd consider three films in my top ten arthouse: Persona, Eraserhead, and La Haine. But the. Again arthouse is hard to define. While you can easily define what an action film is its much harder with arthouse. There was a pretty cool thread where Mark list off some arthouse cliches. For me the most important part of liking an arthouse film is if it doesn't try to hard. Lynch might be extreme but I don't think he over does himself, considering what he's trying to do. While post Breathless Godard certainly tries way to hard.

I'd love to hear a serious response from you especially, hapax. As it was your art-house-filled Top 100 thread that inspired this one.
Style + substance is generally superior to the basic surface level generic cliche junk that gets pumped out of the Hollywood system month after month. There is of course plenty of not-so-great arthouse films as well.

Not saying everything Hollywood does is junk. Just most of it.

Please lordy god tell me how Godard "tries way too hard"
Well donnie's facing a losing battle here because while Godard will later try way too hard, Breathless is like worst example ever. Not because I like it mind you, but because the whole point was improvising.

I will give an answer to Sinny when I get home

Style + substance is generally superior to the basic surface level generic cliche junk that gets pumped out of the Hollywood system month after month.

Not saying everything Hollywood does is junk. Just most of it.
Taking 2013 Oscar nominated films I think as a whole we could mostly agree that Argo, Silver Linings Playbook, and Life of Pi are better than Amour, No, and Kon Tiki. Some may disagree but I think Hollywood still does produce more quality films than the rest of the world.

Please lordy god tell me how Godard "tries way too hard"
His ego got a boost after Breathless. He said he wants his next movie to be not liked by the audience. He uses unessecary camera angles just beacause they're new, he jumps from place to place, tries to make metaphors that make no sense, and symbolism that NO ONE gets. You can say the last one is what Lynch does, but at least his films give a surreal chill.

Winter I think you misunderstood, I like Breathless, but nothing after that.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
It all started after I'd watched Werckmeister Harmonies for the first time. It significantly changed my view on the cinema as I realized that besides entertainment movies can also provide some sort of intellectual and emotional stimulation. Not only Werckmeister Harmonies struck me like no movie ever before, but also became an inspiration to watch and seek more artistic films as well. And at this point the ever-expending list of directors and their films I've seen started. After Bela Tarr there was Tarkovsky, Bergman, Angelopoulos, Kubrick, Leone and so on. I am still discovering the vast world of arthouse and never wish to stop.

Now, why do I like arthouse stuff so much? It's the kind of feel I get from these films. The feel not present in most of blockbuster hits. Also, an interesting, unconventional, sometimes even controversional approach to filmmaking. Bela Tarr just made a scene of two people walking down the street for several minutes and it's freaking amazing. I can't explain why, as it's just an ordinary thing and it ought to bore me by all means, but it doesn't. On the contrary, it amazes me and makes me want to continue the seance.

Another great thing about filmmakers such as Tarr, Angelopoulos and Tarkovsky is the atmosphere of their films. Dark, moody, realistic at times, enigmatic and mysterious the other time. The philosophy they try to smuggle into, the camerawork, incredible long takes. That's an art. Arthouse. Even though the artistic value of more commercial or blockbusters films may be lower (but doesn't have to!) I also enjoy them, because they provide a good jolt of amusement.

tl;dr version: I'm a movie buff, who likes arthouse stuff, because it stimulates me in a way, however I don't despise entertaining films.

Well, I'll definitely be checking out Werckmeister Harmonies soon, as Lime has already recommended it too. Then maybe The Mirror and Stalker, since they seem to be in a few favourite lists.

Thought he lost everything,then he lost a whole lot more.
European art house cinema has let me down a little in these last few years.
I didn’t find movies like Le Havre or The kid with a bike very inspiring.
While Enter the Void was pretentious and a bit of a mess.

With art house films, you involve yourself in the experience more, since you often have to attempt to unravel the multiple facets or challenging aspects of the film to try and figure out the meaning. They stay with you longer.

Definitely try some Tarkovsky and Bela Tarr. Peter Greenaway is a good one too, but his films are harder to track down.

Also, I like when Godard tries too hard. La Chinoise may have been a mess, but it was a glorious mess.

La Chinoise was an outlier for me in that period. And Weekend. I'd have to rewatch everything in between those and Vive Sa Vie again to give a better damning but I remember a lot of it being flashy and hollow.

Winter I think you misunderstood, I like Breathless, but nothing after that.
Yeah I misread. I don't really care for it honestly, crime isn't a compelling genre whatsoever, but the creator in me still appreciates the long takes.

Sinny I wouldn't watch Tarkovsky quite yet. Just my two cents.

Definitely try some Tarkovsky and Bela Tarr. Peter Greenaway is a good one too, but his films are harder to track down.
As a Welshman how have I not heard of this guy? Definitely need to check out some of his stuff when I can

Got a few Bergman films ready to watch at the moment, then I want to see Tarr, Fellini, Tarkovsky, Godard etc. really need to expand my art house/foreign film watching seeing as I love most of what I've seen so far.

Sinny I wouldn't watch Tarkovsky quite yet. Just my two cents.
Interesting. Any directors or films you'd recommend before watching Tarkovsky? And which Tarkovsky film would you recommend to watch first?

Anyway, I keep seeing directors like Ingmar Bergman and Andrei Tarkovsky being praised and held in high regard by quite a few MoFos, and I've come to the realization that most of my favourite movies are pretty conventional, even the black-and-white foreign films I love. I don't feel bad about that. I just realize that there's a whole spectrum of cinema I've yet to discover. I did watch Persona recently, and though I did like it, I must say that it wasn't an easy watch. Not that a film should always be easy to watch, just that I'm not used to watching films like Persona.
This is the best paragraph ever. Well, not really, but it hits on all the right things, because "we" don't care if people's favorite films are conventional, what with exposure and levels etc, but the important thing is to acknowledge the rest of the cinematic world. No one should feel bad for the things they like (generalization, I'm sure many people should), but it's good for films like Persona working as a means of jumping in headfirst, which tends to work in these situations.

If you like them, why do you like them? Do you prefer artistic films over more conventional cinema? What made you get into art house films? What art films would you recommend for someone like me?
I think one could often prefer the peculiarities of art films that other films don't bother with, like being remotely challenging, experimenting with less dialogue, more sound, how they use music, etc. Being as invested in art as I am, I personally prefer when film is emotional and speaking on several levels between all its elements, much like certain music, and this is another thing conventional films can't touch. There's two sides to this however which I'll hit on the next bit.

It's possible that Three Colors: Blue REALLY got me into art films. I couldn't tell you what was the first one I saw, let alone the first foreign film, but I remember Blue, and I remember how I have never seen, not even since then, a film that incorporates music like that one did, it was practically another character. Plus the visuals were these things spoken without words that was a bizarre new thing to me at the time. It just got worse when I started learning French. Also, there's a certain humor in many of them (The Ruling Class for instance), as well as undercurrents of several polarities (Certified Copy especially, and Lady Vengeance to me is all at once hilarious, depressing, pensive, and socially aware), and it's probably these mixes...you know that scene in Ratatouille when he combines food and there's swirls of colours swaying in multiple patterns? That's how I feel. EDIT: to answer the above question, I love all of Park Chan Wook, Teshigahara, Cocteau, Kieslowski, Bergman (so far), and Kobayashi. Tomorrow this answer would be different.

I would recommend you more black-and-white stuff to tie in with that which is already familiar to you. You dabbled in Kurosawa, well try Mizoguchi and Teshigahara (this man makes me want to give up on making anything). In fact, depending on how well that goes, you could keep journeying through Japan's stuff, or Asian Pacific in general, but a couple specific ones I think you might like are Black Narcissus and Orpheus.

If you don't like them, why don't you like them? Have you ever watched an art film? Do you you find them hard to watch? If you haven't seen any, would you be open to watching an art house film?
All that said, there's an innumerable amount of these films that are bollocks, and this is generally where art film stereotypes come in. You are inevitably going to find a few of them. However as you said yourself sometimes films can be hard to watch but can also be rewarding. The problem is you don't quite know if it's rewarding until at least another viewing. Kitano's Dolls was extremely hard for me to sit through, as I switched between "this is boring" and "oh my god this is beautifully tragic" at least ten times during.

And which Tarkovsky film would you recommend to watch first?
I pulled a "Sinny" and started with Stalker. I loved it but my god I couldn't recommend starting with that because you're just not prepared for it. I might say Solaris just because it's familiar.

I'd say start with Ivan's Childhood when it comes to Tarkovsky.

I started with The Mirror. I was like... wut.

I would recommend you more black-and-white stuff to tie in with that which is already familiar to you. You dabbled in Kurosawa, well try Mizoguchi and Teshigahara
Hell yeah, Teshigahara is one of the greatest directors ever. I would recommend Woman in the Dunes and Face of Another to anyone.

edit: i started with the mirror. i was like, this is super good.
Andrei Rublev is a good one too, it's not as difficult as some of his other films, but is still essential, and its length would prepare you for Tarkovsky's other films.