Amy Winehouse dies at age 27

Tools    

Semper Fooey
The difference between Downey and Winehouse, he was an addict longer, but he could also function better than her. His life didn't unravel until he was much older. She was a complete mess in the late stages of her very young life. Downey had a reputation for showing up on the set sober.

I find Downey more inspiring than Winehouse (although he comes across like a real jerk in interviews). Maybe that is why he survived and she didn't. He is full of himself.

Even Judy Garland got past forty.

I find Downey more inspiring than Winehouse (although he comes across like a real jerk in interviews). Maybe that is why he survived and she didn't. He is full of himself.
I find this part interesting for some reason. How did being full of himself help Downey survive? Amy Winehouse was never full of herself? Did she take herself too seriously and self destruct that way? I find this little reason you threw in at the end kinda vague and I'm curious to know more of your feelings. We must get to the bottom of why she died and he did not!

Semper Fooey
It all depends on the person. I don't know of any people who do drugs because Robert Downey Jr. did them, but I can imagine that he'd be like a drug role model to people in a bad way instead of a good way. Especially with men.

I mean, as I see it, drugs are alluring. Drugs are going to be something that people will always seek out, no matter if there's tons of horror stories about them out in the world. All it takes is someone to know that Robert Downey Jr. survived drugs for them to make the decision to try it. Maybe they know his story or maybe they find him cool and like a role model or something, but it's a fact that Robert Downey Jr. didn't die from drugs.

I don't know who might reason with themselves to do drugs just because Robert Downey Jr. did them -- to be honest, it sounds like something I might say to myself if I was ever in the situation. But, hey, now I have Amy Winehouse being dead to scare me into the other direction.
But you would probably tell yourself I am strong like Downey. I can get through this. i am not a screwed up mess like Winehouse.

I also think the notion what brought about her end might be the news about Norway is pretty funny. I see no evidence Winehouse cared about anyone but herself. Addicts tend to be pretty self absorbed and not much interested in world events.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
The difference between Downey and Winehouse, he was an addict longer, but he could also function better than her. His life didn't unravel until he was much older.
Lots of "functioning" addicts die.

But you would probably tell yourself I am strong like Downey. I can get through this. i am not a screwed up mess like Winehouse.
But the problem is -- what if I find out that I'm gonna get addicted to the drug? What if it takes over my life and I don't realize it? LOTS of people think they're strong and will get through this -- and they don't. Lots of people think they're not addicts and they are.

Originally Posted by will.15
I also think the notion what brought about her end might be the news about Norway is pretty funny. I see no evidence Winehouse cared about anyone but herself. Addicts tend to be pretty self absorbed and not much interested in world events.
Well, yeah, it's one reason why I think it could even be a suicide. Especially when you figure she's 27 and she would join that "Dead 27 year old famous musician" club. I mean, that right there is gonna stick with her forever. She will forever be linked to Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison and Kurt Cobain because of that. To me, this would be a good reason to off yourself if you were really that crazy and self absorbed.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
But the problem is -- what if I find out that I'm gonna get addicted to the drug? What if it takes over my life and I don't realize it? LOTS of people think they're strong and will get through this -- and they don't. Lots of people think they're not addicts and they are.
This.

Semper Fooey
I find this part interesting for some reason. How did being full of himself help Downey survive? Amy Winehouse was never full of herself? Did she take herself too seriously and self destruct that way? I find this little reason you threw in at the end kinda vague and I'm curious to know more of your feelings. We must get to the bottom of why she died and he did not!
I think he is cocky and that quality helped him get through it. He had a screwed up childhood with a talented father who was also a big time druggie and also self destructed. That might have been a factor in him taking drugs. He had an inner strength that helped him get through his problem. Maybe it was around the house growing up. Winehouse appeared to be more like Garland, full of insecurities and inner demons.

I think he is cocky and that quality helped him get through it. He had a screwed up childhood with a talented father who was also a big time druggie and also self destructed. That might have been a factor in him taking drugs. He had an inner strength that helped him get through his problem. Maybe it was around the house growing up. Winehouse appeared to be more like Garland, full of insecurities and inner demons.
While I can't say you're wrong and I appreciate the observation, I also feel that things like cockiness and being around a druggie father and having a screwed up childhood aren't always tools for inner strength. I imagine there's got to be dead drug addicts who had the same traits. Robert Downey Jr. must have had a host of reasons that kept him alive and helped him get over it. Winehouse can't be like Garland, either, if Garland was able to last longer.

Semper Fooey
I gotta admit lenny Bruce was pretty cocky. He still died at forty.

I gotta admit lenny Bruce was pretty cocky. He still died at forty.
Nobody's cockier than Death.

I hate when the writing is on the wall and yet we all build that wall anyway.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
But first you have to want to get better, to admit you have a problem. Winehouse never did that from all accounts so that makes her less sympathetic to me.
if anything, i just feel more sympathy for a person like that.

He had an inner strength that helped him get through his problem. Maybe it was around the house growing up. Winehouse appeared to be more like Garland, full of insecurities and inner demons.
oh christ, will, stop already with the baseless conclusions. in actuality, you have no idea what Winehouse was like. your "she appeared to be this and she appeared to be that" are vague and seen through the eyes of a person who has little sympathy and is extremely cynical. surely, you can see that (and don't call me shirley).

Semper Fooey
oh christ, will, stop already with the baseless conclusions. in actuality, you have no idea what Winehouse was like. your "she appeared to be this and she appeared to be that" are vague and seen through the eyes of a person who has little sympathy and is extremely cynical. surely, you can see that (and don't call me shirley).
Even a cursory look of how her life was spinning out of control it is clear she had demons. I have actually made less assumptions about her than some other people have on this board.

Even a cursory look of how her life was spinning out of control it is clear she had demons. I have actually made less assumptions about her than some other people have on this board.
OK, but how does that prove she was somehow less strong or more out of control than say, Robert Downey Jr?

The fact that Amy died when she did isn't a shock, but then, would anyone had been shocked if Robert Downey Jr had died while he was still addicted? I'm thinking no, a thread similar to this would have popped up and those who are calling Amy selfish or weak (and she was, but that's not the point) would be saying the same thing about him. Robert Downey Jr is damn lucky he never OD'ed, because this easily could have been him.

I'm not trying to make Amy Winehouse out to be a saint, cause she wasn't. People make judgements about people all the time, so this is no different. However, the only person who could possibly know what it was like for Amy Winehouse is Amy Winehouse.

We can't know, we never will know.

I think it's disgusting to speak ill of her. She was just another messed up person who died. Everyone here's going to die sooner or later too, no matter what you do, so there's no point in gloating over her stupid mistakes.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

I am having a nervous breakdance
About depression, which is not an emotion, by the way; people with a tendency to develop depressions have very often inherited that genetically from their parents. Still, you don't become a depressed person just because you're mom or dad was one. And similarly, your parents may have had the genetic prerequisites for developing depression without ever doing so, while you, on the other hand, do. Depressions are often triggered by emotionally traumatic events in your life. Without treatment the depressed person can end up being in a really bad shape, often turning to self-medication (alcohol and various drugs) and in some cases to suicide (some people define a drug overdose, depending on the circumstances, as a form of suicide).

About being addicted to drugs, Layne said it better than me:

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.