Best 10 Time Travel Movies

Tools    

I am a hard fan of time travel movies. I just joined the Movie Forums and I was surprised that this forum has very few discussions about time travel movies. I love to discuss time travel movies. I always enjoy people's opinions about time travel movies.

It's fun to compare people's different opinions about the best 10 time travel movies. Here is my best 10 time travel movies.

1. Back to the Future Trilogy
2. Frequency
3. Timeline
4. Butterfly Effect (First one is best)
5. The Thirteenth Floor
6. Time Machine (original)
7. Star Trek (new)
8. Chances Are
9. Lake House
10. Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban

What is your best 10 time travel movies?

Timeline was a good book... But a terrible movie.
Haven't seen Lake House & Butterfly Effect 2 yet, Never even heard of Chances are.

Rest all are classics.... You forgot Time After Time.

Semper Fooey
Time Machine

12 Monkeys

Time After Time

Somewhere in Time

The Terminator

Star Trek IV The Voyage Home

The Final Countdown

Back to the Future

Portrailt of Jennie

Project X

Dude, you've left out all the classics..

Planet of the Apes
12 Monkeys. (Haven't seen La Jetee yet)
Time Bandits
Evil Dead: Army of darkness
The Jacket
Warlock
Terminator (first 2)
The Kid (Bruce Willis)
Waxwork 2. (Loved this one)
Bill & Ted movies

Another worst time travel movie has to be that Martin Lawrence's Black Knight.

Semper Fooey
I was thinking of a William Castle movie from the 1960s.

I didn't recall Time Bandits and would have put it on my list.

I thought The Kid was pretty bad.

1. 12 MONKEYS
1..1995, Terry Gilliam
2. Back to the Future
1..1985, Robert Zemeckis
3. Time Bandits
1..1981, Terry Gilliam
4. Groundhog Day
1..1993, Harold Ramis
5. Time After Time
1..1979, Nicolas Meyer
6. The Terminator
1..1984, James Cameron
7. Planet of the Apes
1..1968, Franklin J. Schaffner
8. Star Trek
8..2009, J.J. Abrams
9. The Time Machine
9..1960, George Pal
10. Army of Darkness
1..1992, Sam Raimi
11. Primer
1..2004, Shane Carruth
12. 12:01
1..1993, Jack Shoulder

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Semper Fooey
Project X technically I guess isn't a time travel movie. A guy from the future thinks he has gone back to the 1960s, but he hasn't gone anywhere. They're screwing around with his mind and created a holographic world or something. i don't remember it too well. Time Bandits would have been in its place. Not a great movie, but pretty unusual plot for its day.

1. 12 MONKEYS
1..1995, Terry Gilliam
2. Back to the Future
1..1985, Robert Zemeckis
3. Time Bandits
1..1981, Terry Gilliam
4. Groundhog Day
1..1993, Harold Ramis
5. Time After Time
1..1979, Nicolas Meyer
6. The Terminator
1..1984, James Cameron
7. Planet of the Apes
1..1968, Franklin J. Schaffner
8. Star Trek
8..2009, J.J. Abrams
9. The Time Machine
9..1960, George Pal
10. Army of Darkness
1..1992, Sam Raimi
11. Primer
1..2004, Shane Carruth
12. 12:01
1..1993, Jack Shoulder

Groundhog Day isn't technically a Time travel film.

Groundhog Day isn't technically a Time travel film.
Thanks for quoting the entire post to say that. Well done.

"A thousand people freezing their butts off waiting to worship
a rat. What a hype. Groundhog Day used to mean something
in this town."

And of course Groundhog Day is time travel. What is a time loop but time travel? Only the one character is aware of the temporal shifting, but he travels back to February 2nd, 1993 over and over and over again. On what technicality is that somehow not time travel?

Now Chances Are, that one isn't time travel. I like that movie and all, but the plot has a man dying then at an afterlife weigh station having his soul and consciousness transferred to a baby, which grows up and suddenly begins to remember his former life. How that is time travel, I don't get.

I am with Holden on this one... Groundhog Day is a Time Travel movie.

Frequency - Not sure about this.. But it's definitely doesn't involve any physical travelling in time, just radiowaves..

Semper Fooey
I think the first time travel movie might have been Berkeley Square (haven't seen).

Thanks for quoting the entire post to say that.
Oh I just liked your post too much.

And of course Groundhog Day is time travel. What is a time loop but time travel? Only the one character is aware of the temporal shifting, but he travels back to February 2nd, 1993 over and over and over again.
Temporal loop phenomenon is not exactly Time travel. Yeah sure, they can be clubbed together, but technically they aren't the same. There is a minor difference, i'm sure you'll agree.
Would you put Run Lola Run in Time travel category as well? That movie can also be put under temporal loop category.

Temporal loop phenomenon is not exactly Time travel. Yeah sure, they can be clubbed together, but technically they aren't the same. There is a minor difference, i'm sure you'll agree.
Would you put Run Lola Run in Time travel category as well? That movie can also be put under temporal loop category.
Run Lola Run is never presented as alternate realities that are actually tried, only possibilities in the main character's mind. The narrative of Groundhog Day clearly and explicitly has the same day repeating over and over again...you know, traveling back in time a day.

And for something you admit is a "minor difference" in the first place, I'm glad we took the time to straighten it out. But if you don't want to count Groundhog Day as a time travel movie because it only concerns a single day running in a loop, that's up to you. But technically it is time travel, you're just wrong about that. If you want to call it a subset type of time travel, so be it, but it's still time travel just the same.

It's a square and rectangle thing. All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares, yes? Well, all time loop movies are time travel, but not all time travel movies have time loops.

There are actually two "time loop" movies on my list. 12:01 also concerns the same day running over and over again with one person aware of the glitch. But unlike Groundhog Day, that one has a Sci-Fi explanation for the time traveling.

Run Lola Run is never presented as alternate realities that are actually tried, only possibilities in the main character's mind. The narrative of Groundhog Day clearly and explicitly has the same day repeating over and over again...you know, traveling back in time a day.
There can be an argument that in Run Lola Run, there were small indications in each of the stories that with each run she learnt something which she did not repeat again in the subsequent runs. These are very minor things that she learnt, but if she did learn it would mean a temporal loop is in place. The director has probably left the interpretation to the audiences. Some may see it as alternate realities, some may see it as a temporal loop or some may see it as mere possibilities in the mind of the female protagonist.

And for something you admit is a "minor difference" in the first place, I'm glad we took the time to straighten it out. But if you don't want to count Groundhog Day as a time travel movie because it only concerns a single day running in a loop, that's up to you. But technically it is time travel, you're just wrong about that. If you want to call it a subset type of time travel, so be it, but it's still time travel just the same.
The difference is indeed minor but there is a difference nevertheless. But I'd classify temporal loop as a seperate subset of SciFi films. Anyways, I take your point.

Now as far as the Technicality goes..
As far as I understand, a temporal loop would differ from the time travel for a few simple reasons:
1. In a temporal loop, the person is stuck in time. He's not moving forward or backwards, but he's running in loops. Of course he is travelling back in the past but what he does in one cycle has no bearing on the next cycle. He gets a fresh new start with every loop. Logically if a person were to time travel in loops (say via a time machine), with each cycle, something would change (depending on the actions of the person and the consequences of those actions).
2. If a person would time travel in loops to the same starting point (both in time and space), multiples of the same person would keep on accumulating with each loop. No such thing happens in a temporal phenomenon. There is just one copy of the person who keeps on living the same extent of time again and again.
Just compare Back to the Future trilogy and Ground hog day, you'll understand.

Some interesting choices I didn't really consider but enjoyed on here, like Prisoner of Azkaban and Groundhog Day, both excellent.

I'll have to give this some more thought but for now I'll mention La jetée

Now as far as the Technicality goes..
As far as I understand, a temporal loop would differ from the time travel for a few simple reasons:
1. In a temporal loop, the person is stuck in time. He's not moving forward or backwards, but he's running in loops. Of course he is travelling back in the past but what he does in one cycle has no bearing on the next cycle. He gets a fresh new start with every loop. Logically if a person were to time travel in loops (say via a time machine), with each cycle, something would change (depending on the actions of the person and the consequences of those actions).
But (spoiler alert) at the end Groundhog Day, he does eventually go forward. The loop breaks, so he does eventually, in the last iteration, merely go back a day and then keep moving forward. So even under this definition, one would have to say that Groundhog Day eventually does depict time travel -- during the last iteration of the day.

Also, the idea of time travel necessarily changing events in the future is definitely not a universally-held hallmark of the concept, at least in fiction. Many stories (like Lost, for example) feature time-travel that is self-fulfilling. IE: someone goes back to stop something, only to learn that their attempt to stop the thing is what causes it in the first place. Under the definition you're offering, these wouldn't be time travel stories, either, because they exert no ability to change things. The thing that happened is destined to happen one way or another, and their knowledge of it is a part of that destiny in the first place.