Spam my Comedy Countdown ballot!

Tools    

Adam's Rib (1949)

I've not been a big fan of Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy especially when they are paired together. I read a review that described both actors as abrasive and I think that's why I've never warmed up to them despite their excellence at acting. I did like Adam's Rib enough to make me want to watch the other movies they did together. Well I did just see Desk Set with the pair and liked that.

What really made this film a treat was the standout performance by Judy Holiday, especially in her first scene while be questioned by her lawyer (Kate Hepburn). The emotions she showed without overacting was amazing. I read that Hepburn supported Judy and helped her get the lead role in Born Yesterday...a movie Miss Holiday would win an Oscar for.

The other aspect of the film that I enjoyed was it's message which I'm not sure what it was? I like that the film can be interrupted in different ways. Was it a film about equal treatment and rights for women? That's what the lawyer Katherine Hepburn says, but her actions would seem to suggest the film had a different take. At any rate I liked it and I'm still puzzled.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Adam's Rib (1949)

I've not been a big fan of Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy especially when they are paired together. I read a review that described both actors as abrasive and I think that's why I've never warmed up to them despite their excellence at acting. I did like Adam's Rib enough to make me want to watch the other movies they did together. Well I did just see Desk Set with the pair and liked that.

What really made this film a treat was the standout performance by Judy Holiday, especially in her first scene while be questioned by her lawyer (Kate Hepburn). The emotions she showed without overacting was amazing. I read that Hepburn supported Judy and helped her get the lead role in Born Yesterday...a movie Miss Holiday would win an Oscar for.

The other aspect of the film that I enjoyed was it's message which I'm not sure what it was? I like that the film can be interrupted in different ways. Was it a film about equal treatment and rights for women? That's what the lawyer Katherine Hepburn says, but her actions would seem to suggest the film had a different take. At any rate I liked it and I'm still puzzled.

While they are both very good movies, I prefer Desk Set over Adam's Rib, but I agree that Judy Holiday was great in Adam's Rib.

Pat and Mike (1952)

Another Katherine Hepburn & Spencer Tracy pairing. I'm not a fan of watching sports on TV, but I found the golf and the tennis matches to be exciting. I read that in real life Hepburn was an avid golfer and quite good. This was a fun movie, fast paced and I even seen some 1950s golf pros, though I didn't know who they were

While they are both very good movies, I prefer Desk Set over Adam's Rib, but I agree that Judy Holiday was great in Adam's Rib.
Judy Holiday didn't make many movies so I'm going to make an effort to catch them all (and I think I said that before?)

The Body Disappears (1941)

This was a fun little b movie, only 72 minutes long. The story was OK and provided some laughs but it was Edward Everett Horton who made this movie! The man is funny regardless of what his lines are, he's just got that knack of likability. And OMG Jane Wyman never looked cuter. I like that outfit she's wearing there, it looks like she just walked off the set of Yankee Doodle Dandy......or maybe she was trying out for a part because that movie wasn't released until a year after The Body Disappears.

Judy Holiday didn't make many movies so I'm going to make an effort to catch them all (and I think I said that before?)

Yeah, it's so sad that she had such a short career. She was such a great actress. I've seen most of her movies, and they're all good. I still haven't seen Full of Life (1956), but I'm hoping to see it soon.

The Body Disappears (1941)

This was a fun little b movie, only 72 minutes long. The story was OK and provided some laughs but it was Edward Everett Horton who made this movie! The man is funny regardless of what his lines are, he's just got that knack of likability. And OMG Jane Wyman never looked cuter. I like that outfit she's wearing there, it looks like she just walked off the set of Yankee Doodle Dandy......or maybe she was trying out for a part because that movie wasn't released until a year after The Body Disappears.

I'm glad you watched The Body Disappears, and that you liked it. Edward Everett Horton is another actor who is great in everything he's in.

I still think Judy Holiday was the voice inspiration for the character Harley Quinn - who first appeared on Batman the Animated Series in 1992 (originally voiced by Arleen Sorkin).

I still think Judy Holiday was the voice inspiration for the character Harley Quinn - who first appeared on Batman the Animated Series in 1992 (originally voiced by Arleen Sorkin).

I haven't seen Batman the Animated Series, but Hubby has a bunch of animated superhero shows on DVD, so he might have that. She had a very unique voice, so it might be worth digging it out and watching a few episodes just to hear that.

I haven't seen Batman the Animated Series, but Hubby has a bunch of animated superhero shows on DVD, so he might have that. She had a very unique voice, so it might be worth digging it out and watching a few episodes just to hear that.
It was very distinct: high pitched, slightly ditzy, New York accent (not sure which area).

Margot Robbie did a decent impression as the first live-action Harley Quinn, but it paled compared to the various voice actresses who did animated versions.

Basically, they sound just like Judy Holiday!

Here's a bunch of Arleen Sorkin clips:

It was very distinct: high pitched, slightly ditzy, New York accent (not sure which area).

Margot Robbie did a decent impression as the first live-action Harley Quinn, but it paled compared to the various voice actresses who did animated versions.

Basically, they sound just like Judy Holiday!

Here's a bunch of Arleen Sorkin clips:

I can hear some similarities in the voices, but I would never mistake her voice for Judy Holliday.