The Equalizer (2014)

→ in
Tools    

The Equalizer (2014)

One does not have to have seen the 1980s series of which this film is a reboot of. The main attraction is of course Denzel Washington. He is in a now very typical action role similar to 2 Guns and Safe House. Many actors of the same generation have now done a Liam Neeson “Taken” turn. Once the original roles start to dry up for actors over 50 they have relaunched themselves as elder statesmen action heroes to keep their brands going and satisfy the studio marketers. Another main aspect of the film’s promotion lies with Chloe Grace Moretz. A film with very limited original concept was always going to receive mixed reviews.

We begin the film with the pointless work banter between Robert McCall(Washington) and Ralphie the security guard wannabe who is being taught the old school meaning of courage and self belief some of which goes against the underdog image of Hollywood liberalism. He meets vulnerable young prostitute Teri(Moretz) whom he attempts to help away from the dangerous pimps within the Russian mob which goes through one main layer of underling after the other which already undermines the structure of the story.

The film as a whole is very underwhelming. Moretz to severely underused and has very little significance in the film. Washington struggle to play a hero to route for emotionally . Even the late Tony Scott’s “Man on Fire” was slightly more convincing. There is no persona in the character’s cold demeanour and any revelation about his past does not garner sympathy. Even cameos by Bill Pullman and Mellissa Leo come too late to rescue the film from its predictable and stereotypical direction. All of the performances are robotic like that of a video game or music video.

The themes are all unoriginal in terms of interrogation and cat and mouse. The cinematography tries to be like Taken by displaying Washington’s thinking pattern on coordinating the defensive attacks. McCall seems to fight on behalf of all the town’s underdogs against the international mob and the cops who are corrupted by theme. However these are only too common issues, parodies and clichés we have seen before such as blackmail and sociopathic behaviour. The only valuable lessons are drawn from making progress ad not perfection and reading for Teri. The scenery tries to be bleak like Sin City without the intensity.

McCall may have the skills to take down an entire gang but he is no Jack Bauer. The film is merely suitable for those who want an action lie in at home rather than in the cinema. The certificate is 15 for those who are interested. This is probably my most damning review to date.

There's nothing special about "The Equalizer" (2014). And you are right, the prostitute should have been more prominent character to give more meaning for slaughter.

While nowhere near loving it, I did enjoy The Equalizer. It wasn't for the action, which was so standard, but for Denzel, the villain, and some of the non-action scenes which I thought had some intensity. I do expect more from Denzel than formulatic action films, but I did also enjoy Safehouse and Unstoppable. I hated 2 Guns.

the movie is awesome, he did use any gun in that movie :0

I think I am one of the few advocates for this film I think it is because I may or may not be reading too much into certain subtleties in the film or respect said subtleties too much.. but...

I think this film went a long way into quietly showing us the motivations of the main protagonist. They give him OCD-like tendencies and a need for order. He does not like people going out of the natural order. If a cop breaks the law, he gets angry because that’s not what they should do. I honestly think that order trumps morals for McCall’s character. When he confronts two crooked cops in the movie who are shaking down local businesses for money, he gets angry at them saying “You’re cops! You’re supposed to protect and serve!” –I think he was more angry that they weren’t doing things that we “cop-like” rather than being angry for moral reasons.

Just like in the Old man and the Sea (the book McCall was first reading in the diner) McCall grew to respect his pursuer just as the fishmen (old man) grew to respect the fish the more it fought. They were both sad to see their adversaries go. Fuqua also set this scene up amazingly well because not only did McCall look sad, the sprinkler system in the building was one and as the camera zooms into McCalls face as he is about to kill the final pursuer, it looks as if he is crying.

these are a couple of things I noticed while watching the film that gave it great depth for me, but there a bunch more scenes in the movie like this that I think are overlooked.

I watched the film again over the last couple of days for perhaps the third or fourth time and enjoyed it a lot more. When I first saw it I didn't think it fully lived up to the promise of the trailer – which hooked me because of the OCD element in this version of McCall, without which I expect it would have been a generic character.

On this viewing I appreciated Marton Csokas's performance even more, as it's as though Nicolai is masquerading as a human being. Despite the suit and the short, slick hair, Nicolai is always unshaved, which seems to hint at his feral nature before we see it erupt with bloody consequences. Interestingly the scene in which Nicolai's tattoos are revealed reminded me of Francis Dollarhyde in Red Dragon, another character who's closer to something other than human.

I also liked Chloë Grace Moretz more this time round and I noticed the little detail that McCall drops the corkscrews once the last of his first set of victims hits the floor.

One of several anti-Russian films recently produced by Hollywood. Rubbish movie.

One of several anti-Russian films recently produced by Hollywood. Rubbish movie.
I didn't see this one as anti-Russian.

I've just discovered that certain cuts were made to the film in its UK release, which is pretty irritating because they certainly make a difference. They are listed here:

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=40522

(I noticed in a YouTube clip that there was extra material in the 'corkscrew' killing, and that led me to investigate further ).

I watched the film again over the last couple of days for perhaps the third or fourth time and enjoyed it a lot more. When I first saw it I didn't think it fully lived up to the promise of the trailer – which hooked me because of the OCD element in this version of McCall, without which I expect it would have been a generic character.

On this viewing I appreciated Marton Csokas's performance even more, as it's as though Nicolai is masquerading as a human being. Despite the suit and the short, slick hair, Nicolai is always unshaved, which seems to hint at his feral nature before we see it erupt with bloody consequences. Interestingly the scene in which Nicolai's tattoos are revealed reminded me of Francis Dollarhyde in Red Dragon, another character who's closer to something other than human.

I also liked Chloë Grace Moretz more this time round and I noticed the little detail that McCall drops the corkscrews once the last of his first set of victims hits the floor.
I noticed again the other day how Csokas even goes so far as to hold a pen in a peculiar way, as if Teddy's an animal who doesn't really know how to use it . Great character, and certainly as good as Washington at building it up.

An interesting surprise the other day was noticing what was possibly an homage to The Godfather Part II. Before he leaves his meeting with Michael Corleone, Senator Geary turns an ornamental cannon on the desk and points it towards Michael in an intimidating way. This is just like McCall arranging the skulls to face Slavi and his men.

watched the equalizer today, very watchable film, i preferred it too the john wick movies