Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1974 vs. TCM2003. A Biased Comparison

→ in
Tools    

I am a glorified ape.
THE FOLLOWING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!

I’ve been discussing horror movies lately. A film that frequently surfaces from the mire of these conversations is the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, being that it is one of my favorites. I’m fond of how particularly raw and brutal this piece is.

I remember, when I was a child, being out with my friends (2 brothers) and their mother renting movies. My chums and I headed straight for the horror section. They picked up something like Child’s Play while your unsuspecting author, KevinKelly, had The Texas Chainsaw Massacre in my hot little hands.

We went over to my friends’ mother and handed her our selections. She looked them over… read the information on the backs of the cases and gasped “Oh heavens no! Not THIS one!” indicating my choice. “Monsters and creepy dolls I can deal with because they’re fictional, but crazy-inbred-redneck-serial killers are another thing. I cannot allow my children to view this.”

So my interest was peeked. Some days later I rode my bike to the local video rental shop and selected a copy of Crazy-Inbred-Redneck-Serial Killers Incorporated (a.k.a. Texas Chainsaw Massacre). I got home. I put it in the VCR. I pressed play. Not long after that, I pissed myself. It was good.

‘Why was it so good’ I hear you scream. Well, I’ll tell you. It was VISCERAL. Say that word out loud and slowly…allow the consonants to hiss out of you… focus on what it feels like to have your teeth scrape against your tongue. Mmmmm. Through his lens, the director, Tobe Hooper, aquaints the viewer… that’s you… with Texas: The sun boring into your skull through your eyes. The urine-soaked dust filling your lungs with muscle-memories of what Adam must have felt like being made from dirt. Can you feel the tiresome heat? Can you smell the wasteland? Watch the film. You will. Tobe Hooper also collaborated on the atypical score for the movie. I once heard him speak about his masterpiece after a viewing of it at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood. Someone asked about the sounds one hears while viewing the movie and how he created them. Mr. Hooper listed several instruments I’d never heard of, and he spoke of the plucking of thick springs and other metallic sounds. What the score reminds me of is what it sounds like when your mind slowly bends…and then breaks: something like wood being snapped in half or screws driving into bone.

Then there was the “acting”. I put that in quotation marks because the craft of acting relies on recalling past experiences to make the actor appear to be having an emotional response to what is currently being performed. This isn’t exactly what happened on the set of TCM. The shoot was fraught with tension and disaster, causing the cast and crew to be on edge. The last day of filming was so intense that … well… let’s just say that not all of the blood nor the madness were fake. Research it yourselves, you lazy bastards. Not for one moment did I disbelieve what any of the characters were going through. It was more like a snuff film than a work of fiction. I was amazed to see some of the headshots of the actors after I had seen the film (particularly the headshot of the actor who portrayed the Hitchhiker). He should have won an academy award (well, he should win an award that actually rewards talent).

So as I said earlier, I’ve been discussing horror films. Inevitably when I bring up the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, someone else compares it to the remake.

When I heard that the nefarious “THEY” were remaking The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I was elated. I imagined the possibilities: The raw terror of a bloated chainsaw-wielding maniac on the ugly terra of Texas…combined with modern special effects?! It could mean a new plateau for Horror Cinema!

Then I saw it.

First of all they turned Leatherface from a sickly obese lard-sack (perhaps a metaphor for his obtuse mental condition?) to a muscle-bound, body builder. In our society, isn’t physical fitness a sign of beauty? Why combine physical beauty with such an ugly character? IRONY? No, this is not American Psycho.
Next they kept the movie set in the 1970’s, yet decided not to dress the victims appropriately. Trucker hats did not come into style until Ashton Kutcher wreaked vile havoc upon mass media.
Lastly, every kill was done just off camera…
How thrilling.

In 1974, Tobe Hooper decided to make the most vulgar, offensive and savage display of fictional horror ever captured on celluloid. However, to avoid an X rating, he made some cuts to his film such as the infamous “hook” scene. When Leatherface hangs boobie-victim #1 on the meathook, there is no shot of the hook entering her back. Yet because the editing is done so well on this movie… the audience believes they see the hook go in.

In 2003, nearly 30 years later, in an age where we watch wars live on television and in a country where violence is as culturally-embraced as Christians-are-confused, a couple of jack-off men in suits decided to milk Tobe Hooper’s creation and make a piss-poor imitation. Yet they wanted to push no limits. They wanted to aggravate no parents. Did they want to scare anybody? Every kill: off camera. Why? I dunno.

So there I am. “I like the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre”. And then somebody says “But what about the new one?” And then I say “What about that piece of tripe?” And then they say “It was waaaay better than the old one, dude!” And then I kill them and make a couch out of their bones which would not frighten anybody born after 1980.

Originally Posted by kevinkelly
THE FOLLOWING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!

I’ve been discussing horror movies lately. A film that frequently surfaces from the mire of these conversations is the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, being that it is one of my favorites. I’m fond of how particularly raw and brutal this piece is.

I remember, when I was a child, being out with my friends (2 brothers) and their mother renting movies. My chums and I headed straight for the horror section. They picked up something like Child’s Play while your unsuspecting author, KevinKelly, had The Texas Chainsaw Massacre in my hot little hands.

We went over to my friends’ mother and handed her our selections. She looked them over… read the information on the backs of the cases and gasped “Oh heavens no! Not THIS one!” indicating my choice. “Monsters and creepy dolls I can deal with because they’re fictional, but crazy-inbred-redneck-serial killers are another thing. I cannot allow my children to view this.”

So my interest was peeked. Some days later I rode my bike to the local video rental shop and selected a copy of Crazy-Inbred-Redneck-Serial Killers Incorporated (a.k.a. Texas Chainsaw Massacre). I got home. I put it in the VCR. I pressed play. Not long after that, I pissed myself. It was good.

‘Why was it so good’ I hear you scream. Well, I’ll tell you. It was VISCERAL. Say that word out loud and slowly…allow the consonants to hiss out of you… focus on what it feels like to have your teeth scrape against your tongue. Mmmmm. Through his lens, the director, Tobe Hooper, aquaints the viewer… that’s you… with Texas: The sun boring into your skull through your eyes. The urine-soaked dust filling your lungs with muscle-memories of what Adam must have felt like being made from dirt. Can you feel the tiresome heat? Can you smell the wasteland? Watch the film. You will. Tobe Hooper also collaborated on the atypical score for the movie. I once heard him speak about his masterpiece after a viewing of it at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood. Someone asked about the sounds one hears while viewing the movie and how he created them. Mr. Hooper listed several instruments I’d never heard of, and he spoke of the plucking of thick springs and other metallic sounds. What the score reminds me of is what it sounds like when your mind slowly bends…and then breaks: something like wood being snapped in half or screws driving into bone.

Then there was the “acting”. I put that in quotation marks because the craft of acting relies on recalling past experiences to make the actor appear to be having an emotional response to what is currently being performed. This isn’t exactly what happened on the set of TCM. The shoot was fraught with tension and disaster, causing the cast and crew to be on edge. The last day of filming was so intense that … well… let’s just say that not all of the blood nor the madness were fake. Research it yourselves, you lazy bastards. Not for one moment did I disbelieve what any of the characters were going through. It was more like a snuff film than a work of fiction. I was amazed to see some of the headshots of the actors after I had seen the film (particularly the headshot of the actor who portrayed the Hitchhiker). He should have won an academy award (well, he should win an award that actually rewards talent).

So as I said earlier, I’ve been discussing horror films. Inevitably when I bring up the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, someone else compares it to the remake.

When I heard that the nefarious “THEY” were remaking The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I was elated. I imagined the possibilities: The raw terror of a bloated chainsaw-wielding maniac on the ugly terra of Texas…combined with modern special effects?! It could mean a new plateau for Horror Cinema!

Then I saw it.

First of all they turned Leatherface from a sickly obese lard-sack (perhaps a metaphor for his obtuse mental condition?) to a muscle-bound, body builder. In our society, isn’t physical fitness a sign of beauty? Why combine physical beauty with such an ugly character? IRONY? No, this is not American Psycho.
Next they kept the movie set in the 1970’s, yet decided not to dress the victims appropriately. Trucker hats did not come into style until Ashton Kutcher wreaked vile havoc upon mass media.
Lastly, every kill was done just off camera…
How thrilling.

In 1974, Tobe Hooper decided to make the most vulgar, offensive and savage display of fictional horror ever captured on celluloid. However, to avoid an X rating, he made some cuts to his film such as the infamous “hook” scene. When Leatherface hangs boobie-victim #1 on the meathook, there is no shot of the hook entering her back. Yet because the editing is done so well on this movie… the audience believes they see the hook go in.

In 2003, nearly 30 years later, in an age where we watch wars live on television and in a country where violence is as culturally-embraced as Christians-are-confused, a couple of jack-off men in suits decided to milk Tobe Hooper’s creation and make a piss-poor imitation. Yet they wanted to push no limits. They wanted to aggravate no parents. Did they want to scare anybody? Every kill: off camera. Why? I dunno.

So there I am. “I like the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre”. And then somebody says “But what about the new one?” And then I say “What about that piece of tripe?” And then they say “It was waaaay better than the old one, dude!” And then I kill them and make a couch out of their bones which would not frighten anybody born after 1980.

Before seeing the remake, I managed to check out the original TCM which I had never seen. Plot was exactly the same with major differences of course. A notable one was something that kept all the men(including myself) watching the remake; director Marcus Nispel's constant showcasing of Jessica Biel's hot bod.This is especially evident when she's walking toward the house which is in the background. Jessica's luscious behind nearly fills half the screen in the foreground.

Nice review... I'm not watching as many horror movies as I used to and didn't even finish the remake, but the original will always be one of my favorite movies if only for the affect it had on me.

On a related note... I knew I was getting old when I watched TCM with my 15 year old cousin and he laughed! Kids today... no respect for the classics!!! Though I guess they often see worse on TV during primetime.

My Top 100 favorite movies.

How dare you compare the crapfest remake 2 the original

I am a glorified ape.
Originally Posted by killfiction69
Hmm. How DARE I? I didn't know stating one's opinion was so daring.
Seeing as how they have the same title... I assumed that making a comparison was inevitable.

What I think you meant to ask was something like "How could I think that the lousy remake could compare to the classic original?" If this is what you meant, then I must ask did you even read my review?

I think it's rather obvious that I disliked the remake and hold the original in high regard.

So what exactly is your point?

I am a glorified ape.
Hmm. How DARE I? I didn't know stating one's opinion was so daring.
Seeing as how they have the same title... I assumed that making a comparison was inevitable.

What I think you meant to ask was something like "How could I think that the lousy remake could compare to the classic original?" If this is what you meant, then I must ask did you even read my review?

I think it's rather obvious that I disliked the remake and hold the original in high regard.

So what exactly is your point?

Now, I'm usually biased to the Original movie when it comes to Remakes. Unless ofcourse if the Remake is better (which doesn't happen very often) or something in it was done better not having to do with budget. I'll tell you guys straight up that IMO there is no way in hell the original Texaas Chainsaw Massacre movie is better than the new one. There just isn't. It doesn't really matter that they weren't wearing clothese that properly fit the time or any of those other explanations you gave because what really matters is what movie had a better screenplay and which movie went together the best. The Remake's screenplay is far superior to the original. ANd it's execution was too. I saw the original and it was so bad, i couldn't finish it. Everything was so predictable and the writing just stunk, as well as the directing (I know. Tobe Hooper. "Don't say that"). The only thing I liked about the original better was that you actually had sympathy for the youngsters mostly because of their acting. The newer ones were more cocky and arrogant reflecting todays times. But over all, the acting in the original was bad and so were te scenes when we were supposed to be afraid. I was just Bam. It's over. No swell of music. No feel-real screams. A total directorial let-down. And as for your complaint that they don't show anything on the screen, they don't show anything in the original either. If you want to see real guts and Glory, Rent the two latters of Romero's Trilogy.
All in all. Seriously folks. I'm not even kidding. The original was just a weird terrible movie. The New one is much much better. Especially Leatherface. Great Entrance.

And this is my BOOMstick!
Originally Posted by Krackalackin
Now, I'm usually biased to the Original movie when it comes to Remakes. Unless ofcourse if the Remake is better (which doesn't happen very often) or something in it was done better not having to do with budget. I'll tell you guys straight up that IMO there is no way in hell the original Texaas Chainsaw Massacre movie is better than the new one. There just isn't. It doesn't really matter that they weren't wearing clothese that properly fit the time or any of those other explanations you gave because what really matters is what movie had a better screenplay and which movie went together the best. The Remake's screenplay is far superior to the original. ANd it's execution was too. I saw the original and it was so bad, i couldn't finish it. Everything was so predictable and the writing just stunk, as well as the directing (I know. Tobe Hooper. "Don't say that"). The only thing I liked about the original better was that you actually had sympathy for the youngsters mostly because of their acting. The newer ones were more cocky and arrogant reflecting todays times. But over all, the acting in the original was bad and so were te scenes when we were supposed to be afraid. I was just Bam. It's over. No swell of music. No feel-real screams. A total directorial let-down. And as for your complaint that they don't show anything on the screen, they don't show anything in the original either. If you want to see real guts and Glory, Rent the two latters of Romero's Trilogy.
All in all. Seriously folks. I'm not even kidding. The original was just a weird terrible movie. The New one is much much better. Especially Leatherface. Great Entrance.

So agreed. The original was just atrocious. Plus if i wanted to stare at a pitch black screen with a flash of somebodys body here and there and a ****load of screaming I'd go back to playing Doom 3. But I won't.

I just found out that the house in the original TCM is now a restaurant! I must go to it.

I just saw the newer version last year, and I have hold of the older version, so I will be watching it soon.

We All Go A Little Crazy Sometimes
I think the lack of "acting talent" made the original suck