FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS, a Clint Eastwood film

Tools    

Originally Posted by Holden Pike

Yes, that photo was staged. It was recreating a moment that had actually happened, but yes, the most famous photograph of World War II (and one of the most famous images of the 20th Century) was staged.

The book Flags of Our Fathers, as well as Eastwood's film, recount all the details of that image, from the battle, to the staging, to the fates of the young men in that picture. They were trotted around the United States on publicity tours afterward, to boost homefront morale and infuse the war effort. Most of them died in action shortly after returning to the Pacific. What makes the book so interesting, and I'm sure by extension the film, is that it covers all of this ground, not glossing over anything.

So yes, it is staged. No, that's no State secret. And after the movie opens, millions more people from different generations will know the heroism of that battle as well as the manipulation of the image.
I hate to be overly skeptical, but what's the source on this? I ask because I was reading an AP wire story this morning that featured a quote from Joe Rosenthal, the man who took the photo:

Originally Posted by Joe Rosenthal
Ten years after the flag-raising, Rosenthal wrote that he almost didn't go up to the summit when he learned a flag had already been raised. He decided to up anyway, and found servicemen preparing to put up the second, larger flag.

"Out of the corner of my eye, I had seen the men start the flag up. I swung my camera and shot the scene. That is how the picture was taken, and when you take a picture like that, you don't come away saying you got a great shot. You don't know."

"Millions of Americans saw this picture five or six days before I did, and when I first heard about it, I had no idea what picture was meant."

He recalled that days later, when a colleague congratulated him on the picture, he thought he meant another, posed shot he had taken later that day, of Marines waving and cheering at the base of the flag.

He added that if he had posed the flag-raising picture, as some skeptics have suggested over the years, "I would, of course, have ruined it" by choosing fewer men and making sure their faces could be seen."
Of course, he has some interest in saying this, but it's one thing to semi-stage a photo, and another to flat-out lie about it.

I'm not really into war movies, but Eastwood is brilliant so it will probably be great.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Thumbing through the pages of the book...There are a few pictures of the day both flags are raised. There is a shot of the first flag being lowered while the second flag is being raised in the background. I think that if the photo was in fact staged, there faces would've been more visible.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
I've been reading some reviews and it says your supposed to sit through the credits. I'm not sure why, but there is something good there apparently.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I'm wondering why no one is comparing this film to The Outsider.

Originally Posted by BobbyB
I've been reading some reviews and it says [you're] supposed to sit through the credits. I'm not sure why, but there is something good there apparently.

As I said in my review posted on this board, the end credits feature photographs of the real men portrayed in the movie as well as photos of the battle and the island. With the near-full theater I was in, I'd say a good 75% of us stayed until the last credits, which conclude with the photo. It's unusual that so much of the audience remains seated all the way through. I almost always sit through them, but when the lights come up there are often just three or four others still there, and sometimes it's just me and the minimun-wage monkeys with their brooms to clean the asiles.

So yeah, I'll say it again: stay for the entirety of Flags of Our Fathers' end credits.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Loner
I'm wondering why no one is comparing this film to The Outsider.
For the same reason it isn't being compared to The Sands of Iwo Jima: this newer movie is a different perspective than the other features based on the soldiers and the battle. In the case of The Outsider, it hasn't ever been available on video, as far as I know, and gets limited television play, so not many people have even seen it. I like The Outsider more than Sands of Iwo Jima, and it does go into some of the darker aspects of the Ira Hayes story, but as flawed as I found Flags of Our Fathers it is the best movie yet made about the Battle of Iwo Jima and the men who fought it.

Originally Posted by BobbyB
Holden, I read your review. I posted that before you posted your review.
Ah, I see. Loner's was the new post, yours was from a week ago. Gotchya.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
For the same reason it isn't being compared to The Sands of Iwo Jima: this newer movie is a different perspective than the other features based on the soldiers and the battle. In the case of The Outsider, it hasn't ever been available on video, as far as I know, and gets limited television play, so not many people have even seen it. I like The Outsider more than Sands of Iwo Jima, and it does go into some of the darker aspects of the Ira Hayes story, but as flawed as I found Flags of Our Fathers it is the best movie yet made about the Battle of Iwo Jima and the men who fought it.
Cool Holden.

I liked Sands of Iwo Jima, as a bad comedy.

Nothing to me is more hilarious than seeing a Japanese soldier, smiling, shooting Billy Bob in the back, while he reads a love letter from his girl from Kansas.