Evolution

→ in
Tools    

Surprisingly Evolution turned out to be a very entertaining flick. David Duchovny was terrific as the low-key Ira Kane and was just dripping with sarcasm. It may just be me, but it seems that Duchovny is the most laid back actor in Hollywood today. I was pleasantly surprised to finally see Orlando Jones in a movie that allowed him to show his talents. It seems like he has always played some bumbling idiot created to amuse the audience and nothing more. His character has the best line in the entire film "THERE'S ALWAYS TIME FOR LUBRICANT!" and was a great complement to Duchovny's flatness. Jones' tradition role of idiot is reserved for Seann Willim Scott in this movie. Sure he was funny, but if he doesn't start picking some better roles he is going to find himself in typecast hell, something not many actors are able to grow out of.

Of course there has to be a woman in the cast, and that woman was none other than Julianne Moore. It seems that she decided to slum it and come down from her artsy, coffee shop type movies, and plays a clutzy CDC scientist in Evolution. I don't know what it is about Ivan Reitman, but he seems to be able to bring some extremely credible actresses to his not so credible comedies. If he had not been able to charm Moore into being Duchovny's love interest Evolution may not have evolved into the fun summer movie that it was. Heck, if it wasn't for Julianne Moore I never would have realized how hot a woman could look in a fireman's uniform.

Overall the cast was terrific and did an excellent job with what they were given, which was basically the recycled script from Ghostbusters. Reitman does not stray too far from what has worked for him in the past, fortunately it works for him once again. The similarities between the Ghostbuster movies and Evolution was at times downright eerie. The scene where they shoot down a flying alien is reminiscent of when they did the same thing in Ghostbusters, only now they have pump action shotguns instead of protopack blasters. You'd think that after having seen Ghostbusters Evolution would come across as a predictable and boring copy, but the banter between the characters really saves the film from mediocrity.

One last thing... if you are considering seeing Jurassic Park III this summer and have already seen Evolution, don't bother to go to the theater. How many more CGI monsters can we take! The special effects in Evolution are first rate and it's going to very difficult for Jurassic Park III to do something new and creative, like the special effects artists have done here. The aliens were, for the most part, like nothing we have ever seen before. This is a welcome relief in today's world of recycled special effects. These effects, along with the humor turned what could have been another recycled monster movie into a fun popcorn flick that most people will enjoy.

6/10

I enjoyed Evolution as well -- went with a few people my age, and simply went in intent to have a good time. If you walk into this movie expecting it to be goofy, you'll likely have fun. Some crude humor, but nothing I would describe as raunchy.

Orlando Jones is EXACTLY the way you would expect from the previews, and some of his other previous roles/commercials. Don't expect much different -- he's been typecast. In his case, that's a good thing.

Duchovny is decent -- I had a feeling he'd fit in pretty well. Despite his X-Files role, anyone who's seen him on Leno, Letterman, etc, realizes he's actually quite a funny guy. Not nearly as serious as you might be led to believe from his most famous role.

Update: Evolution has gotten it's butt whooped at the gate. Thanks to competition from Pearl Harbor, Shrek, The Animal, What's the Worst That Could Happen, The Mummy Returns, Moulin Rouge, Swordfish, and A Knight's Tale, Evolution is look like a flop, initially.

This is surprising. I was expecting it to take in, say, $25-30 million in it's opening weekend, as opposed to it's $13 million total.

Oh, and with Tomb Raider open, you can bet Evolution is going to sink even lower. It's a shame, because that's one funny movie.

What a horrible movie. Was it supposed to be a comedy? I don't know. Here are a list of questions that I need answered about the movie:
1. Is Julian Moore falling down throughout the whole movie supposed to be funny?
2. Could David Duchovny be a worse actor?
3. Where are all of the funny parts? (I admit there were a FEW chuckle parts but thats it)
4. How can anybody like this movie?

I can't remember anymore stupid parts to the movie, but I do know that I had numerous complaints about it when I left the movie.

I loved Evolution. It was mindless, goofy entertainment all right. Duchovny is a fine comedic actor

What is a loogy?

oh. I thought it was somethin worse.

Wart I agree with you that the movie is mindless and goofy, but entertaining come on!

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Got this last night and I have to say it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. I'm gonna hang onto it though because it's got a good cast in it, and a few good laughs. For those of you that have seen it, what are your thoughts?
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Unfortunately I saw this dud in the theaters over the summer and it was beyond boring. And the one and only mildly funny line, "There's ALWAYS time for lubricant!", was even given away in the trailers and TV spots. What a waste of time and money! When you create a movie that makes Ghostbusters 2 look like genius, it's time to stop making these kinds of movies, Mr. Reitman.

Considering Ivan Reitman's last four films as a director are Evolution, Six Days/Seven Nights, Father's Day and Junior - four horrible and completely disappointing flicks, I'd say it's time for him to stop making movies completely. It has been a long time since Stripes and Ghostbusters.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I liked "Father's Day." It cracked me up. "Evolution" did dissapoint a little, but I didn't mind it...I'm biased, though; I saw it in a really nice theater with some friends, and was DETERMINED to enjoy myself. I don't remember the lubricant line being used in any of the trailers, though. Maybe I just didn't see them all.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Don't forget Space Jam. At least I think that's a Reitman picture.

It was alright, of course you have to remember who he had writing Ghostbusters and Stripes. All and all, Evolution was OK, I mean it had a lot of slow moments and the laughs were sparse, but it was ok I guess. If you're looking for a corny comedy about aliens here ya go.

Reitman only produced Space Jam, he didn't direct it. In recent years he's also produced Private Parts and Road Trip.

Commish, you LIKED Father's Day?!? We're talking about that hunk o' crap with Robin Williams and Billy Crystal, right? Man, I wouldn't watch that thing on an airplane. It wasn't just unfunny, it was painfully unfunny, embarassingly unfunny, completely unfunny. I'd easily rank that as one of the worst comedies in recent years.

Boy, different strokes and all, but I've literally never heard ANYbody say they liked Father's Day. I've even heard Billy Crystal dismiss it on Letterman's show.

Yikes.

It wasn't hilarious...but I enjoyed watching it, no doubt about it. Granted, the now cliche "try out a bunch of different outfits in front of a mirror" scene was stupid...but for the most part I thought it was pretty funny.

"You're sleeping with the roommates...you're doing your high school drama teacher...your life is something I would be ashamed to rent."

ok
i liked evolution mainly just because of david duchovny, i was actually impressed he could handle a comedic role since im so jaded on him being fox mulder in the x-files, but hey.

i also liked him in zoolander, which i loved and everyone else i know seemed to hate. there just something about owen wilson that makes me laugh

Duchovny's a very funny guy, a side that was rarely glimpsed on "The X-Files" (unlike most geeks of my generation, I never liked that show - though I am indeed a geek). Fans of HBO's "The Larry Sanders Show" will know Duchovny spoofed himself over and over again, appearing on the show probably seven or eight times over the last few seasons. What developed was that he had a homosexual crush on Larry (Gary Shandling). Even after Duchovny married Tea Leoni in real life, they wrote her in as a "beard", and Duchovny, always playing 'himself', continued pursuing Larry. Great stuff.

Shandling later returned the favor by appearing on one of the few "X-Files" episodes I liked (because it was funny), playing Fox Mulder in a fictional movie version within the TV show. Wife Tea Leoni played the movie version of Dana Scully. I believe Duchovny directed that episode, and he may have had a hand in the script as well.

Duchovny has a very dry, deadpan sense of humor that I love. He's excellent in Bonnie Hunt's romantic comedy Return to Me (2000) opposite Minnie Driver. And I too liked his unshaven conspiracy theory nutball in Zoolander (a movie I enjoyed). One of the funniest things he's done is the audio commentary track for the LaserDisc edition of The Rapture (1991). He's on the track with star Mimi Rogers and writer/director Michael Tolkin, and he's frippin' hilarious.

I really wanted to like Evolution, but it's just a bad, boring film. It's not Duchovny's fault, he's good enough, there's just absolutely NOTHING that he can do with that lame, lifeless material.

Duchovny's next film is something to look forward to: he's in Steven Soderbergh's new project, supposedly a kind of informal sequel to sex, lies & videotape co-starring Julia Roberts, David Hyde Pierce, Catherine Keener (Being John Malkovich, Your Friends & Neighbors), Mary McCormack ("Murder One", Private Parts), and Blair Underwood ("L.A. Law"). The movie is currently called Full Frontal, but two of the previous working titles were The Art of Negotiating a Turn and How To Survive a Hotel Room Fire. Coming from Soderbergh, I'll be very interested to see this, no matter how it is or isn't related to sex, lies & videotape. It should give Duchovny a chance to show more of his range, both his deadpan humor and dramatically.

ummmmmmm........touche

oh and for the record, i didnt like the x files either. and if you want to talk about him trying to do something with nothing material, check out the x files movie.

it was so painfully the complete antithesis of all that is entertaining

Evolution wasn't as good as I thought it would be. I rented and might do so again, but I'm not going to buy it anytime soon.