Succession

Tools    

Yeah, I loved that line: "Congratulations on saying the biggest f**king number." It was a great sum-up.

FWIW, I don't have much of an opinion on whether they could have taken it over. Just that they'd have been bad at it at that point. But as you say, Logan was a narcissist, and nothing they ever did would be good enough...which is a belief that makes itself true, if you raise your children with it in mind. Maybe they had no chance (a decent position, given how presumably hard it is to be a well-rounded person growing up in that kind of opulence), but whether they did or not, he didn't really afford them one either. And then the desire to prove him wrong becomes the focus, which in turn makes them unfit. So there's a good question about causality either way.

I have seen a handful of interviews over the last couple of weeks where the actors and showrunners/writers were clearly at odds about some of the characters' arcs and fates and whatnot, which I think is pretty interesting.

Here's an article about show creator Jesse Armstrong and his thoughts about the finale. Relevant quote:

Armstrong begins the interview by saying that it felt like the “appropriate end” for a television drama that the siblings would not be named as their father’s successor in the end: “If you were thinking about this as a business situation rather than a piece of drama, they might have slipped through, one of them, for a little while, for probably an unsatisfactory interregnum … as they tanked the share price.”

But Tom leading the company felt natural and eventually obvious to the creator, like something that would be covered in The Wall Street Journal or The Financial Times. “They have to have certain qualities, the person who can succeed from a founder, and I guess there are few examples in life,” he added, citing Philippe Dauman, who took over from Viacom-CBS boss Sumner Redstone, and Stalin “coming through the middle after Lenin’s death” as examples. “So there were a bunch of historical and business parallels that started to seem like they were pointing in Tom’s direction.