*spoiler alert*

So I decided to take a look at the origin of the Saw franchise. And I honestly don't know how I feel about this movie.

Many parts of the first half were legitimately scary. The acting by the two guys in the room was decent. The flashbacks came fast and thick, but I was able to follow them just fine, even through the hyperactive editing. I liked the freshness of the concept, and obviously James Wan had a goal and a vision.

And then it kind of collapsed on itself. I couldn't take Wesley- er, Lawrence's blubbering seriously- and his American accent kind of fell apart at the end. Some elements became nonsensical and the choices made by the characters became progressively dumber and dumber.

Like:
-Why does Zep not try to kill anybody other than Lawrence? He just leaves them alive and lets them try to stop him?
-Wasn't the deal that if Lawrence didn't kill Adam, his family would die but not him?

-Why in the world does Lawrence chop his leg off in order to get the phone???
I watched him take off his shirt and I thought, "oh, he's going to use his shirt to get the phone just like he said in the beginning". But NO. He uses the shirt to cut off his leg!

-And he could have done the clothes thing with the gun.

-Once he got the gun, he could have used the gun for literally ANYTHING other than non-fatally shooting Adam.

-He could've shot the chains off. Bulletproof chain links aren't a thing.
Sure, Zep can see everything but once his time was up Lawrence should've expected that death was coming in one way or another.

-Once the chains were off then there is actually nothing Saw or Zep could do to stop him since the only deterrent is in the chains.

-At worst, they'll just leave him to starve instead of killing him by hand, which they WOULD HAVE DONE ANYWAYS.

-How does Adam remember the key going down the bathtub? He doesn't even check the bathtub at the end!

I'm sure that there are many other things wrong with the film, but I'll leave that to people with more time and resources. For now I'm just giving it three stars for the first half alone.