9.09%
2 votes
Michael Giacchino
13.64%
3 votes
James Horner
22 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Mine is Ennio Morricone.

If there is someone I've left out feel free to post him/her.
Funnily enough I saw the beginning of Out of Africa this afternoon and as usual John Barry's music floored me. He has complete emotional freedom in his work and doesn't hold anything back. That's why I think he's the best film composer. I would say Bernard Herrmann's second.

I recently watched Heat and was reminded about Elliot Goldenthal – now he's really impressive, and he's like John Barry in being able to get across the emotion in a film and its situations. His Alien 3 music also stands out for me in that regard.

My favourite film composer though is Michael Kamen, mainly because of The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, which I think is a massively underrated score. I also like Henry Jackman, Hans Zimmer, Jerry Goldsmith, Howard Shore and Graeme Revell.

Angelo Badalamenti
Zbigniew Preisner

This might just do nobody any good.
Nick Cave & Warren Ellis

Clint Mansell

Johnny Greenwood

Carter Burwell

Cliff Martinez

Honorable mentions: Mica Levi and Nils Frahm

Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy?
Carter Burwell
John Williams
Hans Zimmer
Jerry Goldsmith - but I'd include Carter Burwell for sure.
Angelo Badalamenti
Zbigniew Preisner
Funnily enough I saw the beginning of Out of Africa this afternoon and as usual John Barry's music floored me. He has complete emotional freedom in his work and doesn't hold anything back. That's why I think he's the best film composer. I would say Bernard Herrmann's second.

I recently watched Heat and was reminded about Elliot Goldenthal – now he's really impressive, and he's like John Barry in being able to get across the emotion in a film and its situations. His Alien 3 music also stands out for me in that regard.

My favourite film composer though is Michael Kamen, mainly because of The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, which I think is a massively underrated score. I also like Henry Jackman, Hans Zimmer, Jerry Goldsmith, Howard Shore and Graeme Revell.
All very good choices. The only truly "bad" composing I've heard in a mainstream movie has been Pharell William's faux-Skrillex in Amazing Spiderman 2.

Unfortunately I only have 12 options and I chose the composers that I thought would most likely would've been chosen.

I do regret not including Nina Rota.....but nobody has even mentioned him yet, which is kind of sad since I loved his work in Romeo and Juliet. Not to mention The Godfather's famous theme.

John Williams

I love his Jaws theme, this guy is a legend.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
I love Morricone's work the most, but I have respect for not only those on the list, but others such as Taro Iwashiro (his theme music to John Woo's Red Cliff is epic IMO) and Kenji Kawai (his theme song to the Ip Man films are wonderful).

One vote for Nino Rota... oupps.

One vote for Nino Rota... oupps.
You beat me to it. Was just going to post him.

Oh, he's my thirteenth poll option! Wait, there can only be twelve...Sorry man.
Michael Giacchino, seriously? That man is a disgrace to film composers.

Of your list? It was tough between Elfman and Morricone. Went with Morricone because of his work eith MY FAV 2ND FAV FEMALE VOCALIST OF ALL TIME, Edda Dell'Orso. Which mrans Bruno Nicolai gets a ghost vote by default.