Best Movies Of The 90's

Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
American Beauty, Fight Club, Seven, Usual Suspects, Forrest Gump, Shawshank Redemption, Schindler's List, Toy Story (1&2), Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, A Bug's Life, sooo many I actually loved the 90s in film.
I agree with just about all of these (not seen Schindler's yet). Will need to think if there are any others I'd add

I FORGOT TERMINATOR 2 ...and goodfellas BUT I FORGOT TERMINATOR 2 lol

p.s. Jay- we were destined friends we have so many things in common and we signed up on the same exact day.

My Faves:

value
10. The Sixth Sense (1999)
A frightening story of a boy who can see dead people who don't realize that they're dead yet.
God....
I sure hope to all hell that, right now, I ain't no ghost.

9. Dead Man Walking (1995)
God....
I sure hope to all hell that, right now, I ain't no dead man walking.

8. Dumb & Dumber (1994)
This movie is just plain stupid, simple & funny.
Not to mention my favorite comedy of all time.

7. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
Mannn....
I wish I was made outta liquid metal.

6. The Joy Luck Club (1993)
Even tho I try to keep an open mind, honestly, I usually just can't get into chick-flicks. This movie is an exception. However, as much as I like it, it's still not my fave chick-flick of all time.....

5. The Bridges Of Madison County (1995)
.... this one is.

4. Unforgiven (1992)
I guess this film could've also been called "The Final Chapter Of The Man With No Name, But Now We've Given Him A Name.... Punk."

3. Good Will Hunting (1997)
Mork wins an Oscar for his portrayal of a down to Earth Southie with a sympathetic ear?
Well, how do you like them apples?

2. Pulp Fiction (1994)
No matter how many times I view it, no matter what time of the day it is, I never get tired of watching this film. Because Pulp Fiction is like pie.
And any time is a good time for pie.

1. Goodfellas (1990)
When it comes to gangster movies, you just can't beat this one for charismatic energy. Martin Scorcese pays close attention the minute details that the members of a 60's-70's mafia family engage in for the sake of maintaining the lifestyle that they have so become accustomed to. Then the film progresses into a depiction of how that type of self-contained lifestyle can only eventually crumble as the "normal" world outside of the Cosa Nostra continually changes & evolves.

Had a think and this is the top 10 I came up with, not necessarily in order. These are favourites as opposed to best

Truman Show
Lion King
Toy Story 1+2
Life is Beautiful
American Beauty
Jurassic Park
Shawshank Redemption
The Matrix
Galaxy Quest
Terminator 2

Just missing out were - Beauty and the Beast, Usual Suspects, Saving Private Ryan, Pulp Fiction, Ghost, Leon, Princess Mononoke

Although if I came back and did the list tomorrow could come up with something different as they are all films I love and really struggling to seperate them. All of those that just missed out could easily move onto the main list depending on the day and my mood

p.s. Jay- we were destined friends we have so many things in common and we signed up on the same exact day.
Seems like it. Like a lot of the same films, same interests, same join date and even seem to be at similar stages of movie buffdom! We've seen a lot of movies and love them but we're still trying to fill in the gaps with lots of classic films

Just looking back and I'm surprised you put Shawshank Redemption in. I didn't think it had grabbed you quite enough to merit a spot on your top 10, certainly not on your first viewing

Like a lot of the same films, same interests, same join date and even seem to be at similar stages of movie buffdom! We've seen a lot of movies and love them but we're still trying to fill in the gaps with lots of classic films
I know!! it's awesome!

Just looking back and I'm surprised you put Shawshank Redemption in. I didn't think it had grabbed you quite enough to merit a spot on your top 10, certainly not on your first viewing
I mean I didn't think it was the best movie ever...but I did like it a lot.

My list

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Unforgiven
3. Terminator 2
4. Princess Mononoke
5. Three Colours: Blue
6. La Haine
7. Barton Fink
8. Rushmore
9. Schindler's List
10. Se7en
Nice list, Tyler. I love Pulp Fiction, Unforgiven, T2, Schindler's List and La Haine, which probably should've been my favourite of 1995 in my Best of the Year thread. The others are in my runners-up of their respective years, except Blue, a film I could never warm to.

Is white trash beautiful
1. Twelve Monkeys
2. The Big Lebowski
3. Groundhog Day
4. Trainspotting
5. Fargo
6. Brave Heart
7. American History X
8. Leon: The Professional
9. La Haine
10. The Silence Of The Lambs

I have two movies in mind which are the greatest movies of the decade, The first is "Titanic" and the second one is "saving a Private Ryan" and they both are my favorites from 90's.

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
1. Pulp Fiction
2. The Big Lebowski
3. Dumb & Dumber
4. The Fifth Element
5. Edward Scissorhands
6. Se7en
7. The Sixth Sense
8. Fight Club
9. The Shawshank Redemption
10. Forrest Gump

Heat
Fight Club
Toy Story
The Silence Of The Lambs
Pulp Fiction
Batman Returns
Terminator 2
Matrix

Anarchist within reason
The Matrix
Terminator 2
The Last Boy Scout
Independence Day
Fifth Element
Payback
Armageddon
Shawshank Redemption
Seven
Alien 3
If at his council I should turn aside, Into that ominous tract which all agree, Hides the Dark Tower. Yet aquiescingly I did turn as he pointed, neither pride nor hope at the end descried, so much as gladness that some end might be.

Robert Browning 'Childe Roland to The Dark Tower Came'

My favorite movies of the 90's :

1- Forrest Gump (1994)
2- Braveheart (1995)
3- Pulp Fiction (1994)
4- Leon: The Professional (1994)
5- What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993)
6- Magnolia (1999)
7- Life Is Beautiful (1997)
8- Good Will Hunting (1997)
9- Trainspotting (1996)
10- Se7en (1995)
11- Reservoir Dogs (1992)
12- The English Patient (1996)
13- Chaplin (1992)
14- The Green Mile (1999)
15- The Sixth Sense (1999)
16- The Legend of 1900 (1998)
17- Pi (1998)
18- Shallow Grave (1994)
19- Goodfellas (1990)
20- Schindler's List (1993)
21- Unforgiven (1992)
22- Fargo (1996)
23-
Dead Man Walking (1995)
24- Twelve Monkeys (1995)
25- The Usual Suspects (1995)
26- The Big Lebowski (1998)
27- The Thin Red Line (1998)
28- Fight Club (1999)
29- Unforgiven (1992)
30- The Matrix (1999)

I think some of the best movies of 1990 are

Mrs Doubtfire - I enjoy comedy and Robin Williams is a favorite
Groundhog Day - I love the repetition in this movie
City Slickers
In and Out - I was curious about the story and had to see it
Thelma and Louise
Titanic - I eventually saw this and was glad I did. Usually I follow my favorite actors and none were in Titanic.
Jurassic Park - had me on the edge of my seat.
Speed

The 90s were possibly my favourite decade for film. Off the top of my head:

American Beauty, The Truman Show, Saving Private Ryan, Pulp Fiction, Forrest Gump, The Shawshank Redemption, Good Will Hunting, Leon, Happy Gilmore, Schindler's List, The Matrix, Se7en, Toy Story, The Lion King... I'm sure there's more that I'm missing.

^ I love just about every film on that list Skepsis! Great stuff. So many that are already on my top 100 list or that are coming up

^ I love just about every film on that list Skepsis! Great stuff. So many that are already on my top 100 list or that are coming up

I knew there was some I was forgetting:

Election
The Big Lebowski
The Blair Witch Project
Rush Hour
Cool Runnings
Matilda
(childhood fave)

Oh Cool Runnings!!! I love that film. Should perhaps have considered that for my list actually.

Whenever that was on TV, the next day at school you'd have all these incredibly white Scottish kids talking with dreadful Jamaican accents for the whole day!!! So I love it for the film itself but also for that memory

1. The Godfather Pt II - Brilliant story - movie stands on its own as one of the best of all time. Parallel stories of the rise to power is done with a stroke of genius.

2. Goodfellas - Whereas Godfather romanticized the life of being a mobster, Goodfellas showed the more gritty and dirty side of the life.

3. Saving Private Ryan - I love this movie - although not as much as say Band of Brothers which is based on true accounts.

4. Shawshank Redemption - Just draws you in before you can escape. Great movie.

5. Schindler's List - Disturbing look at the cruelty of man.

6. Forrest Gump - Stands the test of time. Just a very good original movie.

7. Apollo13 - If Schindler's List looks at how cruel men can be, Apollo 13 shows the value of life.

8. Donnie Brasco - Gets a boost for being true - Johnny Depp is on his A-Game (when is he not?)

9. Jurassic Park - Great special effects - was something new when it came out.

10. Titanic - This movie isn't as dear to me as it use to be. But when it first came out, my wife and I went to the theaters 5 times.

11. Braveheart - Mel Gibson sold this movie to me.

12. Armegeddon - One of the best movies of this genre out there...just all around good fun. Think Day After Tomorrow and 2012.

13. Few Good Men - Watching Cruise and Nicholson and thunder away at each other is classic.

14. Clerks - spawned a new genre. This one just edged out Chasing Mary for me.

15. Matrix - First movie I had seen with those type of special effects. Made going to HI-Def worth while.