Ticket prices too much?

Tools    

It depends. During the day (IE: matinee), it's around $4 or so (a little more) at the cheaper theatre, and more like $5 at the larger theatre. At night, it's around $7.50 or so, I think...I'm not sure. I'm okay with it. It's still worthwhile -- especially considering I go to a matinee showing of the movie half the time.

It depends on the theater here and the time of day. If I want to forgo the stadium seating, I can see a matinee for $2 or pay $4 for the night showings. At the stadium seating places, the matinees run around $4.25 or so with the regular prices being $6.25 to $6.75.

I usually go to the matinees myself. It's rare I pay full price.

I think its about 5 bucks for a matinee and 7.50 for an evening showing. My friends all freak out about the extra two bucks and always want to see matinee but then end up spending 5 bucks on concessions. I dont really care. Obviously the high prices aren't stopping anybody from going so no they're not too high. It's a matter of supply and demand. People will pay ten bucks to see a movie so they should charge ten bucks. If that doesn't work, charge less. In my hometown there is a new theatre being built and everybody is angry for some reason but competition brings down prices, it's a basic economic principle, so hurrah! Excuse these ramblings.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
You're basically paying the same price you would if you went to a matinee if you go to a night show. Once you figure in drinks popcorn, anything that will stick to the roof of your mouth, you're lookin at an easy $10. Ticket in is like 5 somethin here, I think. So that's roughly $15 give or take a dollar or two. Night shows are about 6.25 here, I got it made, for now if you're taking two people it's $13 which barely leaves room for a drink so if you get a drink and split it you're lookin at the same price either way.

If it's expensive the sound/picture better be worth it.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by SultanBigPants
I think its about 5 bucks for a matinee and 7.50 for an evening showing. My friends all freak out about the extra two bucks and always want to see matinee but then end up spending 5 bucks on concessions. I dont really care. Obviously the high prices aren't stopping anybody from going so no they're not too high. It's a matter of supply and demand. People will pay ten bucks to see a movie so they should charge ten bucks. If that doesn't work, charge less. In my hometown there is a new theatre being built and everybody is angry for some reason but competition brings down prices, it's a basic economic principle, so hurrah! Excuse these ramblings.
I couldn't agree more. It's "worth" whatever someone pays for it. Things do not have a universal value -- value and worth are very subjective things. If they charge too much, people will stop going, which is why we're paying $5-10 rather than $15-20.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I pay $5.75 normally, then $8.50 at night.

B&W
I pay about NZ$8.50 (Student price) which converts to about US$3.50.
What's this about it being cheaping in the daytime? That's cheap man.

Did both these threads start at the same time? combine them or something
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

geez im paying 13.50 for nights movies

B&W
Crap, is that in US dollars?

That means your spending about 30 bucks in our currency!

Where I live its too expensive. It's 8.75 for a ticket arter 6pm!

I think prices here are around $12. Eek. No wonder I rarely go to the theater.

Here in the UK where I live the local multiplex does a great offer.

Normally its £4.60 ($7) before 8pm or £3.60 ($5) after 8pm. I think they do a 2.95 ($4) deal for before 11am as well.

However they also do a deal where you pay £9.99 ($14) a month by direct debit and you can go see any movie whenever you want! You have to sign up for a minimum of 12 months so £120 ($170). Ive had mine six months and have already seen well over a years worth of movies (About 40) so everything i go see until next August will be for free! Also as an added bonus you can go to any of their chain in the country and still use your card.

I dont think they accounted for people like me who go twice or more a week!

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
Here, the prices are standard.

I pay $6.50 as a child, which I can pass as as long as the movie isn't R16, which means you have to be at least student.

Student is $10.00

Adult, I wouldn't know.

B&W, whereabouts in NZ are you?

Now With Moveable Parts
Here in good ol' Grass Valley, Ca. We pay 3.50 for a day show and 6-7$ at night.

I think I've mentioned before, my sister's boyfriend works as a manager at one of our town's larger theaters. I don't ever have to pay...but I do buy some drinks and popcorn. That's where your theater's revenue comes from. They don't make a red cent off of ticket sales.

It's about $7 or $8 in Columbus, Ohio. About $4-$6 during the day.

B&W
B&W, whereabouts in NZ are you?
North Shore City (in Auckland)