Nicholas Cage = Punk?

Tools    

Well In my opinion, he's just another actor who thinks himself and thinks he belongs with the greats, why? cuz he did a few good action films? big deal lots of others do, I feel he overacts most of the time, and when he does actually act regular, he sucks at it.

I know I'm about to get nailed, but dont approach this as the end of the world, it's how i honestly feel about the guy, and whats wrong with opinions?

I'll hav to disagree. Have you ever seen Raising Arizona? Fabulous. Gone in 60 Seconds was good (under-rated, in my opinion)...The Rock had him playing a geek. I feel he's got a reasonable amount of depth. Now, I don't consider him one of the greatest actors of all time, and I don't think he does either, but he's one of the best of OUR time, in my never humble opinion.

You obviously have never seen Leaving Las Vegas. He gives probably the best acting performance I've ever seen in a romance. I'll leave it at that.

And if you watch Raising Arizona and then Las Vegas, you get a good idea of his range. He's also fabulous in Red Rock West. He made a few big action movies, two of which (Con Air and The Rock) I enjoyed. He's had his share of flops (8mm), but as a whole, I think he's had a good track record. He's a powerful actor, there's no doubt about it.

He may come off as pretentious sometimes, but don't all actors? I don't think he considers himself one of the greats yet, and I don't think he should. But with Leaving Las Vegas, his legacy is set, and he could retire tomorrow and no one would ever forget his name.

What? A powerful actor? Best of OUR time? Sorry, I don't think so. He has potential but he fools around too much. Raising Az, Leaving LV, and Red Rock were his ONLY good preformances. Being in a good action flick doesn't make you a great actor. Are you saying Will Smith or Keneau Reeves are great actors too? Ugh, I can't believe you guys love him.

With Leaving Las Vegas as part of his repertoire, Cage can be called one of the better actors of his generation, I think. That's a performance for the time capsule. I think he overacts when he has a poor script, like in Gone in 60 Seconds.

Nick Cage in Leaving Las Vegas is the single greatest acting performace of all time. He is amazing! Leaving Las Vegas is to him like Citizen Kane is to Orsen Wells. Ohhhh my gosh, if you think differently from the above... I dont even know what would be wrong with you. Las Vegas alone makes him a great actor.

I liked Gone in 60 Seconds, but I give movies with cool cars a lot of extra points.

I don't think anyone called him great, or even the "best of our time" -- the biggest complement he's received in this thread, it seems, is that he's "one of the best of our time" -- which is very different. Anyway, I don't think he overacted in "60 seconds" -- I really don't see it.

WELL, obviously you guys haven't been subjected to the over-theatric Tennesse Williamsness of ol' Nic Cage in such family favorites as PEGGY SUE GOT MARRIED, CITY OF ANGELS, and HONEYMOON IN VEGAS? He's definitely on the lower end of my actor spectrum, not at the bottom surely, but more towards the 40s on a scale of 1 to 100 1 being a travesty to thespianism.

That said, I haven't seen LEAVING LAS VEGAS, but I doubt one measly performance could change my mind completely about Nic Cage. I've been dissing him for years. Oh yeah, and I completely forgot (but how could I!?!) - FAMILY MAN! that great old flick - It was the best thing I've seen. I really loved Nic CAge after that, I saw he had depth and character even beyond those pale blue eyes that he uses with such winsome effect to look beyond his leading lady's eyes, into the inner deep labryinths of her soul.

Nic's a no-go. Gone in 60 Seconds.

I liked Honeymoon in Vegas, too.

If you see Leaving Las Vegas you will change your mind.

I saw LLV, I have the soundtrack actually.
If I could drink whisky like he did in the pool scene I'd be an alcholic too! Woohoo!

Hey, what about The Family Man, Con-Air, The Rock, Face/Off, City of Angels, 8MM, It Could Happen to You, Raising Arizona or even Fast times at Ridgemont High???? You gotta love Nick Cage. Yeah there are a few crappy roles but he is a great actor. I too loved Gone in 60 Seconds.

Omg, okay stop it. You're making me sick. He is not a great actor, he's not even an actor he's just a famous guy. Ugh! Lots of famous people can't act, once they get famous they just do their little trademark laughs and smiles and grimaces and forget all about acting. That's him. Once in a while he thinks about acting and he does OK, most of the time he's like, come see my movie, I'm cool and I yell and make faces. I'd give him a 40 too and slipping.

Originally posted by sunfrog
Omg, okay stop it. You're making me sick. He is not a great actor, he's not even an actor he's just a famous guy. Ugh! Lots of famous people can't act, once they get famous they just do their little trademark laughs and smiles and grimaces and forget all about acting. That's him. Once in a while he thinks about acting and he does OK, most of the time he's like, come see my movie, I'm cool and I yell and make faces. I'd give him a 40 too and slipping.
Hey, different strokes for different folks. To me it's the way he performs and he does well. As I said there are a few crappy roles but he does have the ability to show us true acting.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I find Nicolas to be a more laid back actor. Every actor/actress gets their share of flops. Take Ah-nuld for example. When was his last good movie? Anyone remember Conan? ;p Nicolas has been getting more into the romantic movies lately. With Captain Corelli's Mandolin, and Family Man, and Leaving Las Vegas, City of Angels, and a few more, he's letting everyone know that he's not just a big name that can do action flicks. I betcha Ah-nuld is wishing he could've found his niche a long time ago so he wouldn't have to be doing action flicks til he's 80.

Long story short, Nic Cage is a great actor. One of the few level-headed ones out there. I think that Nic will be around for a while.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Guy
I like the guy, he's one of the actors that I seem to enjoy most of his films. He was amazing in LLV, and very good in The Family Man, I thought.

He's one of my favorites. I first saw him in Valley Girl when I was in HIgh School. You know that song "Melt with You" by Modern English? Gotta love it, and the scenes that play out during it in that movie. Okay, it's not a work of art, but I was a teen, and it was a teen flick and it was great. I'm 35 and still watch it if it's on TV and I'm flipping channels. After that I saw Raising Arizona and realized this guy was really funny. It took a while to see him as a really great actor, but I do now. I don't know if it's a conscious thing with him or not, but he sure does remind me of James Stewart (anyone else think so?). I think I've seen every movie he's done, and loved them all. Only one I was slightly let down by was Bringing Out the Dead, and I think that was only because I expected so much from a Nicolas Cage movie.

He's done so many types of movies, comedy, drama, action and done well with everything he's touched. And although I think he's gotten better looking with age, he's accomplished a lot without good looks... that says something for a leading man in Hollywood.

So... from me, Nicolas gets a *thumbs up*.

Not my cup of tea. I never find him believable as an action hero, I don't like to look at him (he's too ugly), I don't like to listen to his voice, although I believe that he has got some acting skills. I like his films, but I believe that I would like them more if someone else played his role.

BTW, I loved 8MM.