Death Note: Remake

Tools    

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Maybe I am the only one, but I am a big fan of the Death Note series. And of course it's time for a remake because the original is 5 years old so that makes sense.
There's not much information to go on but it is rumored that Johnny Depp will be cast as L.

There looks to be movement on the American remake of Death note according to Shock Till You Drop with Shane Black (director of “Kiss Kiss Bang Bang) directing.
Warner Bros. has made some movement on the long-gestating remake of Death Note. American redo rights were acquired in mid-2009 and despite many of the casting rumors, none of them were true. The studio tapped Charley and Vlas Parlapanides for a script, however, there have been some changes behind the scenes.
I haven’t read the manga, but have seen the 3 films (Death Note, Death Note: the Last Name and L: Change the World) and found them to be very interesting. The movies also bring up a lot of ethical questions that question what is right and wrong.
Now I’m not against remakes whatsoever but I’m not sure what they can do that hasn’t been covered in the films/manga, but I am looking forward to seeing what happens, anyone else?
I really think it is a bad idea to remake this film, IMO it is already as good as it's going to get.

Isn't Depp a bit old for L... I don't know about the manga but in the films he rather young looking.

I enjoyed the originals but they are nothing special, and maybe the remake can improve on the special effects too.

This sounds like an awful idea. Remakes are NOT necessary. And now.. they're going to eff up one of my favorites? And did you say.. depp? I love depp but not in Death note.

I really think it is a bad idea to remake this film, IMO it is already as good as it's going to get.
The Shusuke Kaneko version is a terrible, terrible piece of crap, and I would not at all object to seeing a new version done, especially if it is going to be an English language version and therefore probably culturally adapted, which might be interesting, since the original has some structural ties to Japan.

I have literally zero allegiance to the last string of live-action films seeing as they were all pretty awful in both sticking too close to the anime in terms of visual direction and straying too far away from it in terms of plot and characterization.

That being said, the anime also went to crap about 3/4th of the way into the first season, in my opinion. Obviously one movie will not make it even that far though, depending on how much they want to alter the plot.

Also, Depp would be a freaking great L. It's precisely the kind of character he is good at doing.

I'm not sure if i am hyped for this and if the johnny rumours are true i just don't think he would suit the part. :s