Who's excited for Sherlock Holmes 3

Tools    

Sherlock Holmes 3, some buzz for 2021

I must admit that I've never seen the movies. How do they compare to the TV series with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman?

I must admit that I've never seen the movies. How do they compare to the TV series with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman?
Cumberbatch and Downey play Holmes very differently. Cumberbatch adds many quirks and eccentricities, whereas Downey imparts a more traditional sleuth. Both manage to portray Holmes' brilliance.

Dr. Watson is portrayed reasonably similarly by both Jude Law and Martin Freeman, with Law's Watson being more straightforward. Neither represent Watson as did Nigel Bruce, with his "I'll be darned" pragmatism and semi slow-wittedness. I always enjoyed Bruce's Watson. He provided a nice contrast to the inestimable Holmes.

But both productions are fascinating and fulfilling. Of the two, I think that Cumberbatch's Holmes showed more brilliance and allure-- his obsession for solving crime in general, and besting Moriarity in specific.

I suspect that you'd enjoy both productions, but then I'm no Sherlock Holmes...

Thanks Gulfportdoc, what a great assessment. I'm going to search out Downey Jnr and Law's version this week and see what I think. Thanks for the advice.