WTC Movie Announced

Tools    

I saw this on the FilmThreat website. Apparently this guy is serious about making this movie. I don't know what to think about it.

[i]Staten Island, New York based filmmaker Jonathan M. Parisen, the writer, producer, director of "800"( which was the only movie ever to be made about the controversial, 1996 TWA Flight 800 disaster) is now in pre-production on a film dealing with the recent World Trade Center disaster. The title of his newest film is "Stairwell: Trapped In The World Trade Center". The screenplay for the film is completed and the film is set to move into production in late October, early November 2001.

"Stairwell" Directed by Parisen centers around a probationary fireman who is trapped in a " Stairwell" along with a small group of people after the two towers collapse. The group will deal with trying to find a way out from underneath the tons of rubble as well as deal with personal issues and differences with one another.

"Stairwell" will have a very realistic feel to it says Director Jonathan M. Parisen. It will be shot with a handheld video camera and will be shot from the point of view of one of the characters trapped inside of the "Stairwell". In fact some of the footage that will be used in the film is authentic. Including footage of Fire Commissioner Thomas Von Essen that was shot by Parisen at the Fire Academy on Randall's Island three days before The World Trade Center Disaster.

I understand that some people may be offended by my doing such a film explains Parisen. But I promise that the material in this film will be handled very delicately and very tastefully. " Stairwell" is my tribute to those who lost their lives at The World Trade Center on September 11th 2001. It is also a tribute to all of the New York City Firefighters, and firefighters around the world for that matter. That is why I decided to center the film around a firefighter.

"Stairwell" which is also being produced by Parisen and C.M. Murphy will have a cast of unknown actors who are mostly theatre actors except for one. Parisen has casted legendary B-Movie actor Conrad Brooks (Ed Wood's "Plan 9 From Outer Space") to play the father of one of the people trapped inside of the collapsed towers. " I've worked with Conrad before on a horror film that I did two years back called " The Atomic Space Bug ". Conrad is a wonderful person to work with and I very much wanted to utilize his talents in this film as well. Although he is known mostly for b-horror films he is very much capable of doing drama as well. " Controversial artist Scott LoBaido will also appear in the film as well. When completed " Stairwell" will have a limited release in New York City in December of 2001 and will then go straight to video where it will be distributed world wide by Parivision Entertainment.
[/u]

Guy
it's inevitable that they would make a film on it, but finishing the script in just one month?! Sounds to me like he's just cashing in on the disaster.

if it's done well though, and is more of a character study than a pearl harbor, then it would be better.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
"I understand that some people may be offended by my doing such a film explains Parisen. But I promise that the material in this film will be handled very delicately and very tastefully. " Stairwell" is my tribute to those who lost their lives at The World Trade Center on September 11th 2001. It is also a tribute to all of the New York City Firefighters, and firefighters around the world for that matter. That is why I decided to center the film around a firefighter. "

you know, i really don't think they need to do this. we saw it all on national tv. on INTERnational tv.

how can you handle it tastefully within a month? a documentary is one thing. in any case, these things need time to heal before you go and make a movie out of them. making a movie does nothing to "tribute" - a respectful time to mourn and THEN selling out is more respectful. at least Pearl Harbor appeared 60 years later. this is just insensitive and ignorant.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I'm not offended they are making a movie...but this attempt seems kinda rushed. I'd rather it be WELL thoughtout.

Yeah, exactly, but this dude sounds like a low-budget guy, and as a result, he wants to be the first to make a movie about it all. I'm not offended by it too much, because I'll judge the movie (if I see it) based on it's own merits...but yes, I agree: if the screenplay took just one month, and happened sort of on a whim, then it's not likely to be all that good. I wonder if it's really done anyway...they may be stretching the truth just a bit.

The thing is: you won't see it. This guy is just me except from New York and without the winning personality and love and adoration of the female population. He'll make his movie and sell it on his website and that will be that. This will never play at the multiplex and likely never be available at your local Blockbuster.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
How many of you when you saw this thread said..BIG SURPRISE??
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Even though this won't hit mainstream, it sickens me that someone is wanting to cash in on this. The worst part about it is, it's only been a month, give it some time to heal, GOODNESS!!!

Woopity doo da. Big surprize over here. *stretches hand to raise* It was inevitable they would try to make sum cash value to this tragic event... but it is despicable they're talking about it already... I feel sorry for the people who lost family/friends during that.. they will have to see a movie and probaly be reminded of what they lost.. How sad.

Well the same happened when they made Pearl Harbor. If the person making this film is planning on donating anything he makes off of this to the twin towers fund then I say, ok, but still. It's just too soon, and this person will take a beating from the public(if he hasn't already) over this.

Now With Moveable Parts
It's WAY too soon.It's so soon in fact,that it borders sick.It's sick that someone would try to cash in on a tradgedy that isn't even over.Even the T.V.movies wait untill the hubub dies down...sheesh.

B&W
I would have expected a movie to be made about it 20 to 50 years after it. Not 2 to 5 months.

Peace,

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I'm just surprised it's not a Jerry Bruckheimer film directed by Michael Bay. Since it's direct to video, no one will see it, so that's okay. The director is still a bloodsucker, though. Is there anyone out there NOT exploiting 9-11? Even my local movie theater put up a sign banning people from bringing bags into the theater. It's to stop folks from bringing food into the theater, but they put a big American flag on the sign and said it's for safety reasons. It's sickening.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

weak, very weak.

There are many other things that could be made into a film, be it low budge or not.

This is still too fresh in the minds of millions.

Steve

Jonathan M. Parisen's next film......White Stuff: Tragedy in our Mailboxes.