Tarantino Vs. Ritchie

Tools    

Well, you asked; so I'll tell you. Jackie Brown is lame and that scene is even lamer. That's just lazy writing.
Mind explaining yourself a little better? What are your reasons?

I think Pulp Fiction has a lot of baggage attached to it, since it's influenced a fair amount of movies, maybe that's why it's held in such high regard. Reservoir Dogs wasn't an original idea, but I thought it was entertaining, especially the ear scene. That was brilliant. Jackie Brown, I think, is wonderful. I had more fun with that one than with both Lock Stock and Snatch put together.

I like Guy Ritchie's movies, they're cool and slick and a whole lotta fun. He just hasn't gotten to me yet.

Now With Moveable Parts
That Madonna monolouge, in Reservoir Dogs, is SO funny. I love it.

" He's like Charles Bronson in the Great Escape; he's diggin' tunnles."

Originally posted by sadesdrk
That Madonna monolouge, in Reservoir Dogs, is SO funny. I love it.

" He's like Charles Bronson in the Great Escape; he's diggin' tunnles."

THAT RULED SADES YOUR IN MY GOOD BOOKS FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR FOR THAT ONE REMARK, I "DIGS" IT!

I think you're just gonna be getting Ritchie people or Tarantino people. And then, somewhere in the middle, you've got me. I love them both.

B&W
Tarantino,

'nuff said

The dialogue in Pulp Fiction is fantastic stuff. The rest of it was a mishmash cobbled together from great movies that most people haven't ever seen. I suppose that could have been fun for a film buff, but for me it was just distracting.

I don't think Tarantino was ever "stealing" per se, as he is quick to own up to every reference. But part of why it was so hailed by so many and thought to be this touchstone of uber-originality was those multitudinous fans didn't have that same base of film knowledge that Tarantino and Avary did (do).

And I'm not just talking about the fairly obvious stuff like the Kiss Me Deadly briefcase, but for example that whole bit with the overdose and adreniline needle lifted in its entirety from Scorsese's American Boy: A Profile of Steven Prince. It was shot well - Tarantino is good with visuals and staging, but the second that bit started I came right out of the movie and noticed what they were referencing. Since 99% of the audience has never seen or probably even heard of that documentary, it wasn't distracting to them. OK, but what about us 1%-ers?

There were too many elements like that, big and small, for me to enjoy it the way most people did. Again, the dialogue is all Quentin & Roger, and it, along with the performances of Jackson, Travolta, Keitel and Willis, is far and away the best thing about that movie. The rest isn't anywhere near as original or groundbreaking as every fanboy from the ages of twelve to twenty-five thought it was.

And that's a big part of why I say Pulp Fiction is overrated.

Trying to judge it in a vacuum apart from its lineage, I think it's a fun movie, but it doesn't have the kind of ambition and various serious levels the films of his heroes like Marty Scorsese do. That's why I say I'd like to see his style and ear for dialogue attached to something other than a sarcastic post-modern Noir. That was fine a couple times to get your footing and find your voice, but now show us what you can really do.

Assuming he can do more (or even wants to).

Anywho...
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Guy
I wasn't aware that Pulp Fiction is 2 hours of homages / rip-offs of other films! Is Reservoir Dogs the same way?

I just did a search on imdb.com to look at the references; there are many..

Great Train Robbery, The (1903)
Stella Dallas (1937)
Air Force (1943)
Roma, città aperta (1946)
On the Waterfront (1954)
Seven Year Itch, The (1955)
Rebel Without a Cause (1955)
Kiss Me Deadly (1955)
Rock All Night (1957)
Motorcycle Gang (1957)
Something for the Girls (1958)
Attack of the 50 Foot Woman (1958)
Machine-Gun Kelly (1958)
Daddy-O (1959)
Rio Bravo (1959)
"Flintstones, The" (1960)
Psycho (1960)
Jules et Jim (1961)
Guns of Navarone, The (1961)
Bande à part (1964)
Red Line 7000 (1965)
"Green Acres" (1965)
"Batman" (1966/II)
"Speed Racer" (1967)
"Fantastic Four, The" (1967)
Clockwork Orange, A (1971)
Shaft (1971)
Kung Fu (1972) (TV)
"Kung Fu" (1972)
Deliverance (1972)
Superfly T.N.T. (1973)
Charley Varrick (1973)
Bodyguard Kiba: Hissatsu sankaku tobi (1973)
Karate Kiba (1974)
Truck Turner (1974)
McQ (1974)
"Happy Days" (1974)
Sugar Hill (1974)
Godfather: Part II, The (1974)
Rocky Horror Picture Show, The (1975)
Master Gunfighter, The (1975)
Taxi Driver (1976)
Buddy Holly Story, The (1978)
American Boy: A Profile of: Steven Prince (1978)
Grease (1978)
Ninth Configuration, The (1980)
Urban Cowboy (1980)
Dead Zone, The (1983)
Stryker's War (1985)
"Cops" (1989)
Nikita (1990)
Curdled (1991)
People Under the Stairs, The (1991)
Reservoir Dogs (1992)
Even Cowgirls Get the Blues (1993)
True Romance (1993)
Killing Zoe (1994)

Tarantino actually named is production company Band A Part, which is based on the film title, Bande à part.

Coincidence? I think not.

Tarantino may have borrowed from all of these films, but there's a crucial difference between borrowing and ripping off. He has a distinctive style - Guy Ritchie does not (yet), IMO. Tarantino references and borrows from all of those movies, but they still feel like they're part of one movie, not 100 different ones. That, to me, is just a testament to how talented a filmmaker he is.

Geez, another stupid question!

Ritchie made one movie twice.
The thing is, it was only good once.

Tarantino made two movies that are indiputably great. Probably more. Next?

Here's another stupid question.

Why did this stupid question have such debate after it?
And more to the point, why answer such a stupid question?

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
I'm sticking firmly with the 99%ers

Um Bungo! Um Bungo!
Originally posted by sadesdrk
Resevoir Dogs launched Steve Bucemi and Tim Roth's careers.
Aye, i'm ignoring the reply to most posts just to say Tim Roth was a promising upcoming actor (check out his previous filmography) reservoir dogs did not launch his career - neither did it launch Steve Buscemi's who was in practically every one of Coen Bro's filmsdoing cameos and such, and the situation did not change much after reservoir dogs.

B&W
He has a distinctive style - Guy Ritchie does not (yet), IMO.
I totally disagree with this statement

I was just wondering if anybody has copy of the list of film references/rip offs/homages in Pulp Fiction?

I would greatly appreciate a look at this list, if anyone has it.

By the way, I learnt what's behind the band-aid. It ain't 666.

Dude, look at the second to last post on the second page of this thread. The IMDb list of references has been typed for you to enjoy.

Many of those refernces are pretty tenuous, but others are exactly right on the money.