Do you know my poetry?
Here's my list :
5.X2 : X-Men United
4.American Wedding
3.Finding Nemo
2.Terminator 3 : Rise Of The Machines
1.Matchstick Men / Matrix Reloaded - Tied at 1st place

An update:

1. Lost in Translation -there won't be a better movie this year.

and the other good/great movies, in no order:

Capturing the Friedmans
City of God
Finding Nemo
Raising Victor Vargas
Dracula: Pages of a Virgin's Diary
All the Real Girls
28 Days Later
The Man on the Train

The rest of the movies I enjoyed (for various reasons) this year:

Marooned in Iraq
Bad Boys 2
Hulk
X Men 2
Swimming Pool
Spider
Willard
Anything Else
Whale Rider
Seabiscuit
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

Originally Posted by Steve
An update:

1. Lost in Translation -there won't be a better movie this year.

[/i]

I liked it more than L'avventura, and I reference that because they held a few distinct similarities. It is the most phenomenal movie I have seen in a LONG time.

Originally Posted by Henry The Kid
I liked it more than L'avventura, and I reference that because they held a few distinct similarities. It is the most phenomenal movie I have seen in a LONG time.
I liked it better too, though I suspect it's probably because I didn't know what the hell L'avventura was supposed to be about. But, yeah, I agree. It's a masterpiece. I was surprised, too, because I didn't much like The Virgin Suicides - I thought that movie told more than it showed. Lost in Translation is much more visual...there is a world of pain and loss in Scarlett Johansson's face, and Bill Murray made me forget he is Bill Murray. I loved the disses of Kirsten Dunst and Spike Jonze, and those marvelous shots of Scarlett Johansson looking out over Tokyo, and the last scene. It's as close to perfection as American cinema has gotten in years.

Anybody updated their least favorites lately? Mine are Better Luck Tomorrow, Irreversible ( ), Laurel Canyon, Matrix Reloaded, and Matchstick Men.

Matchstick Men was especially awful...it's amazing to me that Ridley Scott is still regarded as a real filmmaker. He's made one good movie, Black Hawk Down...the rest have been dreadful. Nic Cage in Matchstick Men is fiending for another Oscar, obviously, and the con job is so trite and obvious so he has no room to breathe. The camera zooms and there's jump cuts and Alison Lohman struts around with her cute little ass and this is supposed to be a movie.

Also, I enjoyed parts of Once Upon a Time in Mexico, but on the whole I was let down. I wanted Robert Rodriguez to finally make a great movie, but he failed miserably. If not for my unhealthy love for Johnny Depp, I would definitely put that movie on my worst list too.

What's this? I didn't hear about a new Dracula movie.

What are my favorites from this year so far... I need to see more movies....

1. Freddy vs. Jason
2. The Matrix Reloaded
3. Terminator 3

I can't think of any other movies that I've seen and liked.... I didn't care for Finding Nemo and I HATED House of 1000 Corpses. And what's with all the crap coming out right now? Like that Underworld movie. I just started working at a movie theatre (yes, Hoyts in Manassas, Steve) and everybody flocked to see that. People I know came out and tried to put on their most polite "Mmmm... it was... alright." (nobody can just flat out say IT SUCKED!)

Only for the weak
About the only 2 movies I've saw this year:

Identity
Open Range

They were both good. Had no real intention on seeing anything else. I would probably enjoy Matrix Reloaded and X2 for their fun factor.

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity
What's this? I didn't hear about a new Dracula movie.
It's a basically a filmed ballet, scored to Gustav Mahler, directed by Guy Maddin. It's great.

I just started working at a movie theatre (yes, Hoyts in Manassas, Steve) and everybody flocked to see that.
Ah, but it's called Regal now...how's the job treatin' you? I try my best to steer clear of that theater, but sometimes it's just unavoidable. My favorite thing about Hoyts is that the fat goateed manager spends more time in the bar at Uno's than he does at the theater - it's always a treat to see him order Ultimate Dirty Bong Water. I've seen this personally four different times, & I have witnesses. Is he married? Because he's always there during happy hour.

Do you know my poetry?
Matchstick Men was especially awful...it's amazing to me that Ridley Scott is still regarded as a real filmmaker. He's made one good movie, Black Hawk Down...the rest have been dreadful. Nic Cage in Matchstick Men is fiending for another Oscar, obviously, and the con job is so trite and obvious so he has no room to breathe. The camera zooms and there's jump cuts and Alison Lohman struts around with her cute little ass and this is supposed to be a movie.
Espicially awful, I thought it was such a masterpiece, and Nicholas Cage should win an Academy Award for his performance in Matchstick Men.

i would say matrix reloaded for action
im not sure for comedy but im lookin forward to seeing school of rock

Never conform, never compromise....
I have seen some intersting movies listed so far and I think I will have to check some of them out.

Either way, my top 5 of the year so far (in no order)
1.X2
2.The Matrix: Reloaded
3.Terminator 3
4.Underworld
5.Phone Booth

Those are the ones that come to mind. I have seen alot of very good movies this year but they were ones that were released a few years ago and I never saw(ex. Donnie Darko, Momento, Magnolia).

But I have no doubt that once they come out (LotR: Return of the King and The Matrix: Revolutions) they will definately be on my list.
- Corey Taylor (2002)

hmmm....the top 5 movies i've seen so far this year. i hate to speak too soon, because there are so many good ones yet to come, but here goes anyway:

5. American Wedding....I know, its getting old, but i can't help it. Stifler cracks me up
4. Identity
3. Pirates of the Carribean
2. X2
1. The Matrix Reloaded...I don't care what anybody says, i thought it was fantastic.

My list will probably change soon though, after i see Kill Bill and Revolutions

I'm not sure If I can get a full five , and this is not in order, but:

American splendor
Lost in Translation
Once upon a time in mexico ( there is something about Johnny depp.....the movie wasnt great, johnny depp was just so damn cool...)

hm.... When kill bill comes out I have a feeling i'll be able to add. I need to think some more, I cant remember everything I've seen this year...
maybe il add later

I'm not old, you're just 12.
My Updated Top five so far:

5. Old School - Almost as funny as Animal House.

4. Pirates Of The Carribean - Viva Johnny Depp!

3. Holes - Amazingly well made and darkly funny.

2. Identity - a twisty mind-f*ck of a movie, second only to :

1. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind - STILL nothing can touch it's brilliance!!!

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Only for the weak
I guess if Confessions of a Dangerous mind was this year, I would add it to my list too. Pretty cool movie, good acting and good direction.

I must become Caligari..!
Just watced Rick Linklater's Tape (Wich as relased in aus only this year) and i is no 3 on my list.
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

OK, of course there are still a whole bunch of potentially good flicks coming between now and the second or third week of January, but thus far I'd have to say....

1. Lost in Translation
2. City of God
3. City of Ghosts
4. The Good Thief
5. Intolerable Cruelty
6. Dirty Pretty Things
7. Capturing the Friedmans
8. A Mighty Wind
9. Spider
10. Elephant
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Originally Posted by Monkeypunch
1. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind - STILL nothing can touch it's brilliance!!!
I just saw it this year...but I don't think it counts. It goes straight on my list of 2002, along with The Quiet American, which I just saw this year.

My new list: (I took out May which I'm now counting as 2002...for the moment anyway)

10) Elf
9) Identity
8) Pirates of the Caribbean
7) Open Range
6) American Splendor
5) Mystic River
4) School of Rock
3) The Man on the Train
2) Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
1) Kill Bill Vol. 1

I just saw Elf, and it was awesome!

My favorites right now are:

Lost in Translation
Elephant
Kill Bill pt. 1
Finding Nemo
Capturing the Friedmans
All the Real Girls
Raising Victor Vargas
Tupac Resurrection
City of God

These aren't in any kind of order. And of course they'll change around a whole lot before January.

Is it just me, or has this year totally sucked for movies? Only 3 great movies...there are plenty of good movies on the way, but none of them look like they could be great. Except maybe Last Samurai and Return of the King.

Worst movies of the year are the Matrices, bar none. Thirteen, Irreversible, and Better Luck Tomorrow are on the **** list too. I won't even watch Ken Park, but that goes on the worst list too because it's directed by Larry Clark. Biggest disappointment? Intolerable Cruelty.

Jury prize so far goes to Marooned in Iraq. You'll probably never hear of it again, but it ran here in DC for about 2 weeks, to empty theatres. If you can get your hands on it, though, it's definitely worth watching. And I've a hunch that Bad Boys 2 is going to show up on a lot of liberal critics' worst lists. These people need to grow some balls and realize how great it is to be an American male.

And so on and so forth.