Women in Film! Go girl or Go Home!!

Tools    

- With a woman in the film the chances of romance as an ingredient increase considerably. And, running the risk of sounding sexist, I believe that ingredient attracts more women than men. The baked in romance is there to ensure that the guys bring their girlfriends to the movies as well, i.e. buy two tickets instead of just one.
yea im gonna have to aggree with you, coz most of my male friends dont really like romance in films they would rather go and see action or horror!
you're not being sexist because romance is generally what girls like to see in a film, i dunno why it's just what we like...
its a good money making scheme!

cazz
x

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by cazz
romance is generally what girls like to see in a film, i dunno why it's just what we like...
It's because you're dirrrty.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

It's because you're dirrrty
we just like to see men take off a bit of their clothing!!
lol

cazz
x

p.s is there a crime with that? its vice versa with the boys...

Originally Posted by LauraEngland17
Thankyou very much for stating what wasn't already clear- men can't play a wife, wow!!
In reality i guess you're right, SOME women are wives and SOME women are call girls but then SOME men are househusbands and SOME men are whores, no?
its fair enough that you think that 'its kind of hard for a guy to play a wife'. But why? Because thats how its been in every film you've ever seen. ''films are made by men, for men''- Laura Mulvey (1975).
And to say that women are perfect for the roles of whores (as opposed to men who are great, macho men who women desperately need and could never look weak or desperate cos thats just wrong!) and then that you are in no way demeaning women is slightly strange don't you think REALLY!?
The fact is that since women have woken up to this, 'big movie men' have accentuated all of these roles for us in film as they don't want us treading on their toes.
95% of top media jobs are held by men, but for how long? what are your views on this?
Thanks for replying. x
When people state something that is obvious it is for a reason: because it is obvious; therefore my statement made its point I see. I stated my views on actors, as I thought that is what this thread was about. I was mistaken because I guess I am a narrow minded male and did not think about the whole film industry. I have seen alot of movies, and to relay what happens in a movie is not the same as agreeing with it. If you think there arent any movies about male whores then maybe you should do more research. What is worse btw, a female whore or the male pimp who abuses and uses her? I think the more demeaning role is the pimp, I think far less of a man that does that than a woman who is put in that situation.
Am I wrong? Maybe so, and I can admit it, but I respect men AND women actors who do a good job at the character they are portraying.

Movies are entertainment to me, nothing else, unless it happens to be a documentary, and alot of those can be entertaing as well as informative.
Good luck on everything you do.

Originally Posted by cazz
yea im gonna have to aggree with you, coz most of my male friends dont really like romance in films they would rather go and see action or horror!
you're not being sexist because romance is generally what girls like to see in a film, i dunno why it's just what we like...
its a good money making scheme!

cazz
x

I most certainly don't follow the mold. I love action, horror, thriller, male-orientated type films. In fact nealy all films I like are generally made with the male audience in mind, I also watch to a lesser degree, family and children orientated films. However its scrape the barrel time for me with films made with women more soley in mind. Romance is a major turn off for me, a plot revolving around two people going gaga over each other and nothing else would not even get me watching if it was free. I have practically no interest whatsoever.

There are some exceptions like 'Shakespeare in Love', the main draw for me was the comedy not the romance and I probably wont watch it again. 'Pretty Woman', most definately a chick flic but has some indefinable appeal. 'Something About Mary', far more to it then sickly sweet love.

Actresses in more masculine roles are another matter, they inscribe in me a sense of pride to see women rising above in a predominantly male role. I also get some form of satisfaction from their reversal of natural choice roles. Sigourney Weaver's 'Ripley', is a prime example of the type of character I like. Uma Thurman's character (aleday mentioned) in 'Kill Bill' is another and I should also include all the other female roles in that film too. Hard women rock! In fact generally I pefer films with a harder edge to them anyway.

'Guy films' are my main source of entertainment though. A splurge of guts or a round of action makes me more attentive but there must be a purpose or a decent plot or good acting otherwise it isn't worthy for me to watch. I love films like 'Pulp Fiction', 'Dog Soldiers' etc.... I'm also partial to moralistic films which I guess would be considered more for the female side or neutral.

It still an unfair place for woman, lesser pay and such and in which is very slowly closing the gap. Women have a lot to offer in films, perhaps more then their male counterparts. Women can encompose a greater number of roles I think, our durability is wider. There is a lot to do and still very much a place for women in film, its just about closing the gap. However you can't deny the obvious preferences in the gender audience. Society has defined where we should most obviously be in civiliation, film should merge these ideals, in an ideal world of course.

Anything you ever need to know about women in film is in Kill Bill.