To my family, my friends, and my partner,

I try to write something on Veteran’s Day every year and I wanted to make this year about something other than myself or other veterans – at least directly. I would like to mention the loved ones who help us through our daily struggles. I appreciate all the sacrifices and all the times you have suffered because of us. I know you do it gladly and eagerly and your kindness and willingness to be there for us damaged souls gives weight to the cost of your pain. It is a price that can be difficult to recompense in a way that feels substantial or even equitable. I am remorseful that our afflictions and burdens require you to pay a toll and sometimes I feel, no not feel, but know, that this unfair fee is a cost that is too much.

I need to relay that your love and commitment does not go unappreciated even if it may feel that way. It is extremely difficult for many of us to share and to show our emotions about this topic because forgetting or hiding is easier than facing the agony or admitting our flaws.

Some of you are not able to stay the course and I for one hold no resentment and thank you for being there for as long and as much as you could. You are all guardians, fighters, and beautiful angels who deserve a day of your own to show how important you are to us. Like us you do not want recognition, it feels as if ot is natural and expected from others and from yourselves. I am grateful and joyed to have had such people in my life over the years. Some of you have moved on to a better place, some of you could not remain because times got too hard, some of you throw your hands up and fall to your knees in confusion and weakness, and some of you are always there, always giving and always listening.

I want to aknowledge all of you no matter where you fit into our lives. Without you the hole in our chests would always echo with the memories that haunt us, but with you, because of you, those echoes become quieter if not gone all together. We are able to love again, be proud of ourselves again, live again, and the suffering you endure on our behalf does not go unnoticed even if sometimes you feel that way. Thank you for being there for me, for us veterans. We may not always show it or express it, but we are most certainly grateful and always in your debt.

Thank You,
Dionne