Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Tree of Life (2011) -

Very good. I can see why it's such a polarizing movie, and I feel it's one of those films that after a rewatch you'll either appreciate a lot more or it will bore you to death. For about half an hour or so I actually felt pretty bored, and I almost disliked it, but then it just kept getting better.

Stand by Me (1986) -

The closing lines ("I never again had friends like the ones I had when I was 12. Jesus, does anyone?"), are so true. I was smiling as I was hearing the words, but really, I shouldn't have.
Yes. Yes.
Jurassic Park 2
Glad to hear. How can people hate this movie?

Finished here. It's been fun.
^ I don't hate Jurassic Park 2, but it's definitely my least favorite one though. There are some pretty epic scenes in that movie though, especially the scene with the T-Rex's and the cliff.

I really hope this film grows in popularity towards being a mandatory cult classic, it's wonderful. It also has one of the best establishing shots of all time:
Yeh it seems a few people have seen it recently. It was on Mr Minios recent top 150 and Skepsis saw it recently too I'm sure. I bought it on Criterion Blu-ray too, mainly for the crazy cover. But I fell in love with it from the very beginning, the awesome mixture of crazy editing and self-aware over the top parody in the school is great, the film overall is so hyper active and crazy, it feels like it never slows down to give you a minute to breath and take it all in

^ I don't hate Jurassic Park 2, but it's definitely my least favorite one though. There are some pretty epic scenes in that movie though, especially the scene with the T-Rex's and the cliff.
Yes. T-Rexes share the guy. It's a heartwarming scene. The movie is burned into my childhood memory. Watched it a million times. On VHS, ah, those days...

Wait you like 3 better?

Finished here. It's been fun.
Yes. T-Rexes share the guy. It's a heartwarming scene. The movie is burned into my childhood memory. Watched it a million times. On VHS, ah, those days...

Wait you like 3 better?
Indeed I do. Strange I know, but I like 3 better. I literally grew up watching all the Jurassic Parks. I've seen each film at least 5x each. The Lost World was always the weakest for me, not quite sure why. Maybe it's the lack of Sam Neill.I still think it's pretty kick-ass though.

Ran (Akira Kurosawa, 1985)

A great film, but a cold and pessimistic one focusing on the dark side of human nature. I prefer the more fun filled/optimistic action epic that is Seven Samurai, but both are great films.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi

9/10

I heard of this movie during its release in 2011, but forgot about it until I picked it up at the video store yesterday. I gotta say that it really is a great documentary. It's about one of Tokyo's most acclaimed sushi chefs, Jiro Ono, who makes some of the best food in the world, at the young age of 85 (at the time of the documentary). His past, daily life, and philosophies really make the movie so intriguing, and watching all the sushi made me hungry myself. I will say certain parts dragged on a bit too long, but a very well made doc nonethless.

If you're tired of documentaries that are depressing or biased, or both, give this one a try. It is neither.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Lots of CGI, the most diabolical plot ever, gallons of testosterone and baby oil, poorly cast British actors attempting American accents, and failing. And a 300 pound former pro wrestler who can't act - who also spent most of the films final battle driving around in a 'tank' - which was nothing more then a dune buggy with rockets taped on the side. So bad it's funny.

Indeed I do. Strange I know, but I like 3 better. I literally grew up watching all the Jurassic Parks. I've seen each film at least 5x each. The Lost World was always the weakest for me, not quite sure why. Maybe it's the lack of Sam Neill.I still think it's pretty kick-ass though.
I liked Sam Neill's thing with the kids in the first one, but they just repeated the thing on the third one, and I wasn't happy. More importantly, Rexie dies in the beginning. I was not pleased But the most important one is actually the opposite to your argument. 3 has no Ian Malcom, the coolest mofo in these things! No! Don't do that to me, movie!

For me, the third one is just not only a retread of the previous two. It's a retread of the other two minus epic awesome moments. Still enjoyed it. And it's sadly the only one I got to watch on the big screen. It's the one I watched the least times obviously. Would need do a marathon to know exactly to what extent it's worse than the other two, but for me it definitely is.

On the Waterfront

(new ratings scale,
means "very good", so I can distinguish between all my movies by ratings, bad movies are rather homogeneous so they don't need distinguishing)

On the outside looking in.

Lost Highway (David Lynch, 1997)

Watched this quite soon after House and I am not sure which was more strange. I loved this though, up there with the very best Lynch in my opinion. Shame it didn't make the 90s list.
As a longtime Lynch fan I can say that's the only time he's disappointed me. Oh well, it does have the last film performances of Richard Pryor and Lynch regular Jack Nance to commend it, I guess.

As a longtime Lynch fan I can say that's the only time he's disappointed me. Oh well, it does have the last film performances of Richard Pryor and Lynch regular Jack Nance to commend it, I guess.
How come? What makes it worse than Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire then?

Manhunter (1986)

Much preferred this to the remakes. Could even feature on the upcoming 80's list.
Manhunter should be a shoe-in for the list. Should be. Not will be.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/

Manhunter (1986)

Much preferred this to the remakes. Could even feature on the upcoming 80's list.

8.5/10
I havent seen this, I will have to keep an eye out for it

I will probably have Manhunter on my list HK, to help it get some points. It's a great film...

Le Mépris (Jean-Luc Godard, 1963)

A fascinating film with lots to say as ever with a Godard film. It's probably my favourite of his actually and will probably get a higher rating in the future. Lots to talk about when I expand on this in the Movie Tab.

The last film I watched was "The Unspeakable Act" (2012). I enjoy the film but if I was to rate it, it would be 6/10.