Hayao Miyazaki to Retire

Tools    

just like steven soderbergh. overrated hacks.

I don't know if you're trying to be funny or not, but you're going too far now.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

I don't know if you're trying to be funny or not
well, i guess not

Meh, his movies were already declining in quality anyway.

Spirited Away
++
Howl's Moving Castle

Ponyo

Ponyo was still better than 94% of everything else I had watched but his usual percentile was 99% so I guess retiring is not a bad idea. His last truly special movie was made 12 years ago, anything afterwards is just very good but nothing that beats everything else by a mile like Spirited Away.

Steven Soderberg is not as remotely as respected as Miyazaki though.

Anyway, while I may understand that some people might not like Miyazaki's work because it doesn't fit into their tastes but to actually think it's cr*p is baffling to me but it only shows how subjective art is and that there aren't any objective standards of quality.

I haven't even seen any of his movies but this made me lol.
You supposedly watched Nausicaa for the Hall of Fame. I mean, you actually said here that your votes for the last Hall of Fame should be nullified.

Sad news, but I guess it was expected. He's a 72-year-old and it would be absurd to keep with the hard work he's been doing in the studio. Anyway, I doubt he'll retire completely from the industry, maybe he will keep working in Ghibli as a writer or producer.

Spirited Away
++
Howl's Moving Castle

Ponyo
Yeh, I think it's best he retires before he ends up making another
film.

Spirited Away
++
Howl's Moving Castle

Ponyo

Ponyo was still better than 94% of everything else I had watched but his usual percentile was 99% so I guess retiring is not a bad idea. His last truly special movie was made 12 years ago, anything afterwards is just very good but nothing that beats everything else by a mile like Spirited Away.
I disagree. Ponyo might not be his best film, but it would be any other animated directors best so he can continue and still do great films ! But at 72 years old it's normal to retire

Isn't his son beginning to make films now anyway? I have no idea but is he expected to take over him in the animation industry?
I don't think his son is expected to take over and become as great as his father, but yes, his son has already directed a few animated films.

The most recent film he directed, From Up On Poppy Hill, was a very nice little animated film, in my opinion. I really liked it.

The problem is that Hayao Miyazaki is much more than just a director. He's a creator, an artist. He's involved in every aspect of most Studio Ghibli films (not in Takahata's movies, for instance). He also draws a fair amount of the animation himself and he writes the screenplays. His retirement will be a very big loss for the Japanese animation industry and it might prelude a less succesful era of feature length anime films, which is regrettable.

His retirement will be a very big loss for the Japanese animation industry and it might prelude a less succesful era of feature length anime films, which is regrettable.
That's like saying that Scorsese's retiring might prelude a less successful era of Hollywood films.

You have little idea of how large that industry is. It employs directly a comparable number of people as Hollywood and produces directly a slightly greater number of minutes (annually about 150-180 anime seasons, equivalent to 750-900 films in length plus around 100 films, or 850 to 1,000 films equivalents).

Anyway, the quality of his work ceased to really stand out since 2001. After that year all the best work in the industry was done by others.

That's like saying that Scorsese's retiring might prelude a less successful era of Hollywood films.

You have little idea of how large that industry is. It employs directly a comparable number of people as Hollywood and produces directly a slightly greater number of minutes (annually about 150-180 anime seasons, equivalent to 750-900 films in length plus around 100 films, or 850 to 1,000 films equivalents).
First of all I was talking solely about the (big budget) feature film industry and you absolutely can't deny the HUGE importance of Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki's influence in that area.

He's an absolute giant in the industry. I think you're understating the importance of the retirement of your favorite director immensely and what it means for the succes of Japanese animation movies in general.

There's no comparison possible with Hollywood.

Yeh, I think it's best he retires before he ends up making another
film.
His work was of exceptional quality according to my tastes from 1978 to 2001. Since 2001 all the best anime of each year was produced by others. And that's according to my tastes which are very biased towards Miyazaki. There are many hardcore anime fans who do not like Miyazaki's work, for instance, so from their point of view he is not even relevant.

From my point of view his work was indispensable until 2001, after 2001 he finished doing his best work and now there are many people who came up with better stuff (that applies to both sides of the Pacific actually, since I am taking into account Hollywood and US TV as well).

So from the point of view of my tastes his retirement is not a disaster (if there was a disaster it was his decline in quality since 2001).

So from the point of view of my tastes his retirement is not a disaster (if there was a disaster it was his decline in quality since 2001).
You haven't even seen his last film yet. It looks incredible and seems like a much more mature work than Howl's Moving Castle or Ponyo.

First of all I was talking solely about the (big budget) feature film industry and you absolutely can't deny the HUGE importance of Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki's influence in that area.
TV anime is different from US TV since it's pre-scripted all the way until the end, as result TV anime series work like films and unlike US TV. Series like Haibane Renmei and PMMM are movies cut into episodes and aired on TV.

Also, you should know that Miyazaki's most important work according to critics consists of:

Conan Boy of the Future (TV series)
Nausicaa manga (graphic novel)

And not his movies.

He's an absolute giant in the industry.I think you're understating the importance of the retirement of your favorite director immensely and what it means for the succes of Japanese animation movies in general.
I know the industry much better than you do. While it's true he is the single most important animator in history it's not true that he represents a very large fraction of the anime industry.

Ghibli employs 300 persons while the other 400 animation studios in Japan employ another 40,000 persons. So even in economic terms if he retires and, let's assume, Ghibli closes down, that means that the anime industry lost about 1% of it's endowment.

You haven't even seen his last film yet. It looks incredible and seems like a much more mature work than Howl's Moving Castle or Ponyo.
Let's see. If it's a masterpiece that means he retired still on top of his game.

TV anime is different from US TV since it's pre-scripted all the way until the end, as result TV anime series work like films and unlike US TV. Series like Haibane Renmei and PMMM are movies cut into episodes and aired on TV.

Also, you should know that Miyazaki's most important work according to critics consists of:

Conan Boy of the Future (TV series)
Nausicaa manga (graphic novel)

And not his movies.
That is absolute crap and you know it. Maybe that's what the pure anime freaks are saying, but his movies are much more important in terms of influence.

I know the industry much better than you do. While it's true he is the single most important animator in history it's not true that he represents a very large fraction of the anime industry.
Look at the budgets of his films (every film he works on, not only the films he directed), the amount of money they make compared to all the other anime films that are coming out and the worldwide recognition they get. If you don't call that a very large fraction of the industry, I don't know what you mean by the word 'fraction'.

Ghibli employs 300 persons while the other 400 animation studios in Japan employ another 40,000 persons. So even in economic terms if he retires and, let's assume, Ghibli closes down, that means that the anime industry lost about 1% of it's endowment.
I'm talking about FILMS. Not about all those anime TV series. CINEMA!