Snapshots of History.

Tools    

I have a stupid story about this War of the Worlds monument.

Somehow the topic came up with my friend's wife and I told her about the monument. She didn't believe any such thing would be erected over an old radio show and accused me of making it up.
At the time I worked in Plainsboro - one town over, and I'd often drive to Grover's Mill and eat my lunch in the park where the monument is located (it's a small area with some swings for kids next to a small lake, nothing really remarkable except for the monument).
So my friend's wife bet me there was no "monument" in NJ to this radio broadcast. So I took them to the park to show them. I won the bet, right?

Well... my friend's wife says, "You said there was a monument to this thing - you lose the bet!"
I said, "What? What are you talking about? What's that?" (pointing at the sculpture)
She says, "That's not a 'monument' - that's like a plaque or something - you said there was a monument - that thing's not much bigger than I am - I don't see any monument, just a sign!"
I said, "No one said it has to be huge - it's still a monument - it's a sculpted piece commemorating the event we've been discussing - you bet me there was nothing here commemorating the event - I'm not losing the bet on the grounds that you don't want to call it a monument - it is a monument."
Her response? "It's not a monument - I bet you there was no 'monument' here and that thing's just like a big plaque with some sculpture on it! It's not a monument - you lose!"

I have a stupid story about this War of the Worlds monument.

Somehow the topic came up with my friend's wife and I told her about the monument. She didn't believe any such thing would be erected over an old radio show and accused me of making it up.
At the time I worked in Plainsboro - one town over, and I'd often drive to Grover's Mill and eat my lunch in the park where the monument is located (it's a small area with some swings for kids next to a small lake, nothing really remarkable except for the monument).
So my friend's wife bet me there was no "monument" in NJ to this radio broadcast. So I took them to the park to show them. I won the bet, right?

Well... my friend's wife says, "You said there was a monument to this thing - you lose the bet!"
I said, "What? What are you talking about? What's that?" (pointing at the sculpture)
She says, "That's not a 'monument' - that's like a plaque or something - you said there was a monument - that thing's not much bigger than I am - I don't see any monument, just a sign!"
I said, "No one said it has to be huge - it's still a monument - it's a sculpted piece commemorating the event we've been discussing - you bet me there was nothing here commemorating the event - I'm not losing the bet on the grounds that you don't want to call it a monument - it is a monument."
Her response? "It's not a monument - I bet you there was no 'monument' here and that thing's just like a big plaque with some sculpture on it! It's not a monument - you lose!"

Who finally caved in then.. she or you?

Who finally caved in then.. she or you?
It was never resolved. She wouldn't admit she was wrong and maintained that a 6 foot sculpture is not a "monument" and I'd claimed there was a "monument" to the War of the Worlds radio show in Grovers Mill. (I guess it would have to be over 7 feet to qualify!)

It's a monument! That's for sure.

I remember Captain's story about visiting it, and I remembered it was in New Jersey of course, the home of our man of steel...but I would not have got Grover's Mill right.

Somebody post one, so I can have a go at it before my pizza is done...that would be a special Memorial Day pizza.

I came across this pic of Welles broacasting the hoax drama..on the Grovers Mill site. Looks like you grew up in a picturesque little rural town CS.

Where did the pic go? try again.

I came across this pic of Welles broacasting the hoax drama..on the Govers Mill site. Looks like you grew up in a picturesque little rural town CS.
I've tried to use that pic as an avatar but it never looks right.

It was never resolved. She wouldn't admit she was wrong and maintained that a 6 foot sculpture is not a "monument" and I'd claimed there was a "monument" to the War of the Worlds radio show in Grovers Mill. (I guess it would have to be over 7 feet to qualify!)
For what its worth.. Captain oh Captain (just kidding) you were in the right. A word of thanks mate for staying with me as I know it is late on a Sunday nite there in the east US of A.

It's a monument! That's for sure.

I remember Captain's story about visiting it, and I remembered it was in New Jersey of course, the home of our man of steel...but I would not have got Grover's Mill right.

Somebody post one, so I can have a go at it before my pizza is done...that would be a special Memorial Day pizza.
It's spookie's turn!

I've tried to use that pic as an avatar but it never looks right.
Instead of the plaque why not use the above shot of Welles as your avatar Orson? I wanna thank you too.

Instead of the plaque why not use the above shot of Welles as your avatar Orson? I wanna thank you too.
Oh, it wasn't the plaque, it was indeed that photo you posted (or one just like it)...it was the quality of the photo it never looked very clear when I used it. One of these days I'll change my avatar.

A new one guys. The last one will take some beating so i will not try. This is a not so signicant piece of history. Who took the pic and in what location?

that would be a special Memorial Day pizza. Is there a public hol in the US. What does Memorial Day symbolise?
I'll let Captain explain, pizza is done!

Good thread Spookie, and it's nice chatting with you again

I'll let Captain explain, pizza is done!

Good thread Spookie, and it's nice chatting with you again
Enjoy your Memorial Day pizza Orson. Glad you are enjoying the thread.

that would be a special Memorial Day pizza. Is there a public hol in the US. What does Memorial Day symbolise?
Remembering our military: especially remembering and paying honor to those who died, who sacrificed all in wars past and gave their lives to secure our freedom. Originally called "Decoration Day."

Remembering our military: especially remembering and paying honor to those who died, who sacrificed all in wars past and gave their lives to secure our freedom. Originally called "Decoration Day."
I see CS. We held our Memorial Day at the end of last month.. You Yanks and we Aussies have had a strong military relationship for a good part of the last and this century... and it will only get stronger.

A new one guys. The last one will take some beating so i will not try. This is a not so significant piece of history. Who took the pic and in what location?
In case you missed this I will bump it.

I see CS. We held our at the end of last month..we call it ANZAC Day. You Yanks and we Aussies have had a strong military relationship for a good part of the last and this century... and it will only get stronger.
Well said, spookie!
We also have Veterans Day - the difference between the two is that on Veteran's Day we honor all who served, whereas Memorial Day is pretty much just for those who were killed in military service.