Violence, censorship and everything else that goes with it.

Tools    

The title of the thread covers many forms of media, games, movies, television and other stuff so post what you want.

Ok, Violence in games, Im a gamer so I get annoyed when I hear that a game thats coming out is probably going to get banned or censored because its to violent and concerned parents dont want their children playing those types of games because they may influence children to carry out actions in the game. I think thats fine, concerned parents should sheild young children from violent games, but why do they want to ruin it for the rest of the people who want to play the game and that know that games arent real and are not influenced by the violent nature of the game.

I believe its important to shield young and impressionable children from violent material, I have a small sister and nephew who are 5 and 3, I know its not the same as being a parent but I still know how young children are easily influenced by any type of material on tv or games but I do my best to block them from seeing any of the games or movies I watch. I turnoff the game if they come barging into my room, I pause the movie and tell them to comeback later and if they happen to catch a glimpse of anything violent I tell them Its not real. And that is something which I believe those concerned parties should be teaching their children.

Movies, games, there not real, I know that, most people my age know that (17) but for those who dont then they should be shielded from violent material and their parents should see to it.
But the other people should be let to play what they want and indeed watch what they want.

I was going to write more, about violence in movies and continuing on games but its late, and Im tired so I'll just say that the same goes for movies and and sexual material unsuitable for children.

Also, I wrote this based on information which I've heard of in the past, so if I,ve missed anything or somethings changed since then, apologies in advance.

I'll just leave it at that for now.

Because you can regulate what your kids take in but what if they play games at their friends house? Or what if the parents don't care what they play. Also, it not just little kids that freak out, teenagers that are old enough to play the games freak out and gang bang and stuff.

Oh, and you don't have to freak out for it to affect you. Why are you craving violent video games? See, you like killing people. All you need is a gun and someone to make you mad and you'll go off. Lol.

Banning bad games sounds like censorship but so what? Did you know there is a Comics Code Authority that makes sure comic books aren't violent or full of nudity? They need that for video games. Call it regulation.

Originally posted by sunfrog
what if they play games at their friends house? Or what if the parents don't care what they play.
Ok valid points there but Im primarily talking about the people who want games banned because of their contents.

Why are you craving violent video games? See, you like killing people. All you need is a gun and someone to make you mad and you'll go off. Lol.
I'll KILL YOU>

No, but really, I dont crave violent games but I still play them, I play games for fun, they are a great way to pass the time. Besides I own a Gamecube which is considered to be the kiddiest console on the market and has the less amount of violent games available. So dont worry, Im cool.

Banning bad games sounds like censorship but so what?
Goodness, man. This completely contradicts a load of your other comments going on and on about an "Orwellian society," free speech, etc. I guess whereas Bush is involved, it's a dictatorship silencing those they don't like, but when it comes to games, it's "so what"? Pfft.

The crux of the issue is this: it is not merely being exposed to these things that is the problem. It is being exposed to them WHILE SUSCEPTIBLE to their influence. I saw, and played, Wolfenstein back when it was new. I shot Nazis with a handgun in that game. It was fun. I've yet to go on a murderous rampage. Why? Because, while exposed to violent games and movies, I wasn't SUSCEPTIBLE to them.

If you are raised a certain way, or held back from these things to a certain age, it really doesn't matter. The thing to avoid is being exposed to the wrong things at the wrong time. I've known 12 year olds who can handle watching some R-rated movies, and I've no interest in depriving them of that if their parents recognize their lack of susceptibility. Like a plethora of issues today, this all boils down to inadequate parenting.

Don't run from the psychological battlefield -- prepare your kids for battle.

These things make me feel i should become more contentious just so i can have something important to say...

I like video games.

There.
*It was only when she, in sheer fury, turned the carnivorous sheep among them that they moved. They ran, some of them with charming little white sheep attached to their legs or backsides and the rest shouting
about monsters.*

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally posted by Yoda

Goodness, man. This completely contradicts a load of your other comments going on and on about an "Orwellian society," free speech, etc. I guess whereas Bush is involved, it's a dictatorship silencing those they don't like, but when it comes to games, it's "so what"? Pfft.

The crux of the issue is this: it is not merely being exposed to these things that is the problem. It is being exposed to them WHILE SUSCEPTIBLE to their influence. I saw, and played, Wolfenstein back when it was new. I shot Nazis with a handgun in that game. It was fun. I've yet to go on a murderous rampage. Why? Because, while exposed to violent games and movies, I wasn't SUSCEPTIBLE to them.

If you are raised a certain way, or held back from these things to a certain age, it really doesn't matter. The thing to avoid is being exposed to the wrong things at the wrong time. I've known 12 year olds who can handle watching some R-rated movies, and I've no interest in depriving them of that if their parents recognize their lack of susceptibility. Like a plethora of issues today, this all boils down to inadequate parenting.

Don't run from the psychological battlefield -- prepare your kids for battle.
Holy ****!!! I think we have witnessed a historic moment! A post by Yoda that I fully agree with (!!!), including what he said about Sunfrog's post. I went "Sunfrog wrote this???" when I read it.

I don't believe in censorship but I believe that some things should require a certain age of the user. Then it's of course a question of what that age should be and for which games. But the most important thing here is that retailers and parents take their responsibility, meaning that the retailers don't sell games to underagers and that parents are paying attention to what games their kids are playing on their computers.

If I had a 12-year old son I think I would let him play Wolfenstein but I sure wouldn't let him play Vice City. And I would force him to play Quake. That should be a part of every decent kid's education.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Amen Yoda, Piddzilla.

Holy ****!!! I think we have witnessed a historic moment! A post by Yoda that I fully agree with (!!!), including what he said about Sunfrog's post. I went "Sunfrog wrote this???" when I read it.
I have to let Yoda win sometimes. I don't really think bad video games should be banned. I think the rating system we have now is fine. I don't see WHY we need realistic violence in video games or why we need gangsta rap. They're both bad for society so why make 'em? I just wanted Yoda to win one for once. I knew he'd say the opposite of what I said. I think I figured him out. He either hates me, or he does it to stir up trouble so there will be lots of posts.

I have to let Yoda win sometimes. I don't really think bad video games should be banned. I think the rating system we have now is fine. I don't see WHY we need realistic violence in video games or why we need gangsta rap. They're both bad for society so why make 'em?
Yeah! And I don't like mushrooms on my pizza, so why does Pizza Hut even sell them?

I just wanted Yoda to win one for once.
Hi, I'm reality; have we met?

I knew he'd say the opposite of what I said. I think I figured him out. He either hates me, or he does it to stir up trouble so there will be lots of posts.
Yet another false dichotomy: either I'm disagreeing with him facetiously, or I hate him. Believe it or not neither is true.

I am having a nervous breakdance

I don't see WHY we need realistic violence in video games or why we need gangsta rap. They're both bad for society so why make 'em?
Oh Sunfrog, Sunfrog... Have you ever thought about that those things might be a reflexion of the society? Consider Dr Dre for a minute and what he's doing today compared to what he did before N.W.A. Him making music about his life brought him out of that life, wouldn't you agree? A role model or a danger to society?

I don't see WHY we need realistic violence in video games or why we need gangsta rap. They're both bad for society so why make 'em?
Maybe people are excising their violent demons via entertainment versus via reality.

Yet another false dichotomy
A what?? LOLLOLOLOLOL!! Hey I've never criticized your size! That's getting personal.

Oh Sunfrog, Sunfrog... Have you ever thought about that those things might be a reflexion of the society?
Yeah but it's not true. Now that lots of gangsta rappers are dead you have less violent teenage crimes and it was that way before the songs too. Songs, tv, games, everything influnces society, even the internet. It doesn't just influence susceptible people it influences fashion, other songs and shows and everything else. Why add more crap to the world? Just because you can? If you could add anything to the world would you choose to add something bad to it?

Because some people like them. It's really that simple. Someone wants them, so someone makes them, and someone sells them. Ta-da. It's like magic. See my smarta** Pizza Hut analogy for further illustration.

Yeah but why do it in the first place? Sex and violence sells but there's other ways to make money. Why make the world worse? Why not sell furniture or baby pigs instead?

I'm not old, you're just 12.

Banning bad games sounds like censorship but so what? Did you know there is a Comics Code Authority that makes sure comic books aren't violent or full of nudity? They need that for video games. Call it regulation.
Ummmmmmmm....Since when is censorship a good thing? Never. and just so you know, the Comics Code Authority was invented in the 1950's basically to railroad William M. Gaines, the publisher of Tales From The Crypt, and put him out of business. The other major comics companies devised the code as to make it imposible to keep his books in print, and he lost his publishing company, which had been in his family for decades! Yeah, that's sure a good thing! Who was protecting HIM? In the end, the rights of the creators come into play. Artists, film-makers, game designers, authors....is it okay to take their right to free expression away because they want to create material not intended for children?

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Yeah but it's not true. Now that lots of gangsta rappers are dead you have less violent teenage crimes and it was that way before the songs too.
How many dead gangsta rappers can you name? And do you have percentages? This is a sick attempt at discrediting an art form. Silencio.

A novel adaptation.
I think Sunfrog's right here, guys.
And I think that any movie containing violence or anybody dying of unnatural causes should be banned, or seriously edited without consideration for the author's intent.
By the same token I think I'm a big dummy and I should die.

See, sarcasm...
If we were in Sunfrog's world, I guess that sort of thing would be edited out of my posts.

Yeah but why do it in the first place? Sex and violence sells but there's other ways to make money. Why make the world worse? Why not sell furniture or baby pigs instead?
What're you asking us for? None of us sell sex and violence, I don't think. This is a matter of legality. It should be legal to buy and sell these kinds of products, end of story.

Your stance here is striking on its own, but downright contradictory when juxtaposed with your other political outlooks.

Personally, I cannot understand how you can be arguing what you are arguing Sunfrog.

You are [in essence] supporting notion of taking away somebody's rights. The right to free speech on the part of the filmmaker / game designer / television director / author / whatever else, and [more importantly] the right for the consumer to choose. That [more than anything else that gets stuck with the following label] is fascism.

I may be going out on a limb, but I personally can't see much of a difference between removing the right to choose between Mario Sunshine and Mortal Kombat on the Gamecube [or Kangaroo Jack and Baise Moi at the cinema] and Mussolini "modifying" the Italian electoral system in a manner that abolished the voter's right to choose between him and anyone else.

It is wrong, it is opressive, and it is [in my mind] a stupid argument you're arguing.