Action Movie Reviews with Moi!

→ in
Tools    

Hong Kong action film buff.
Okay so I do a lot of dumb stupid stuff and this is some of that stuff
Please be warned if you don't like Jackie Chan then you might not wanna read these because A LOT of these are Chan films. Spy Kids review coming soon
www.actionmoviemondays.blogspot.com
*films i really like
*films i need to rewatch
*films i really don't like
*films i like*

1970s

The Big Boss
Snake in The Eagle's Shadow
Drunken Master

SOON TO WATCH
The Fearless Hyena
Fist of Fury
Way of the Dragon
1980s

The Young Master
Project A
Wheels on Meals
Police Story
Project A II
Die Hard (woah an American film)
Police Story Part II

SOON TO WATCH
My Lucky Stars
Royal Warriors
1990s

Die Hard 2: Die Harder (woah another American film?!)
Armour of God 2: Operation Condor
Drunken Master II

Die Hard with a Vengeance
Supercop

Rumble in the Bronx

Jackie Chan's First Strike

Rush Hour

Men in Black

SOON TO WATCH
Wing Chun (1994)
Thunderbolt (1995)

POLICE STORY 2 - CHINA BECOMES BOOMTOWN
Starring, directed and written by Jackie Chan

Written by
Edward Tang
Masahiro Kakefuda

Produced by Leonard Ho

Starring

Maggie Cheung

Bill Tung

Lam Kwok-Hung
Chor Yuen
Charlie Cho
Benny Lai
Mars

Release date (Hong Kong): 20 August, 1988

October 10, 2007 (Australia)

While Police Story 2 is an amazing film, there's something that Police Story 1 just had that Police Story 2 doesn't. Police Story 2 has 4 major fight/stunt/beat up scenes like with Police Story, but Police Story 2 had more comedy, and all the fights were for a reason. Two fights in Police Story 2 is started by the villains of Police Story (John and Tom Chu) disrespecting May and Kevin, but the fights in Police Story were started by the bad guys. The first fight was another attempt to get Selina, the second was an attempt to beat Kevin so he didn't rescue Selina, and the third was so that all of Chu's men didn't get the briefcase with the proof of a murder in it.

Anyways, Police Story 2 also lacks funny parts. May entering the men's bathroom and acting like a moron is supposed to be funny, but it isn't. It just makes me not like May even more. That's how you know they're a good actor.

The big stunt in Police Story 2 was also very cool, but it wasn't played at 3 angles (and wasn't as cool as the mall slide in Police Story 1).

Maybe one day Australia will be hit with a bomb and I'll stop the bombs...

Directed by Renny Harlin

Screenplay by
Steven E. de Souza
Doug Richardson
Based on 58 Minutes by Walter Wager

Produced by
Charles Gordon
Lawrence Gordon
Joel Silver
Starring Bruce Willis
Bonnie Bedelia
William Atherton
Reginald VelJohnson
Franco Nero
William Sadler
John Amos

Release date: July 3, 1990

August 30, 1990 (Australia)

Synopsis

In 1990, A year after his heroics in L.A, detective John McClane (Bruce Willis) is mixed up in another terrorist plot, this time at Washington Dulles International Airport, where he is waiting for his wife (Bonnie Bedelia). That same night, South American politico and drug profiteer Ramon Esperanza (Franco Nero) is arriving in U.S. custody. McClane takes action when a treasonous ex-colonel (William Sadler) seizes control of the airport, threatening to crash every inbound flight unless Esperanza is freed.
Review

Hard take but Die Harder is better then Die Hard. Why? Well, this movie is funnier, has better writing, and better fight scenes. Also, the villian's death in this movie is incredible.

Die Hard 2 is a Christmas flick that can be watched at any time of the year. It's great, the villains are better, and the writing in this movie is more genius.

When we cut to Holly on the plane with the old lady and Thornburg, we get countless funny scenes, but also some other serious ones like when they're praying after finding out about the other plane crash.

Constanza does a great job at being the bad protagonist, and Willis' acting is actually better in this one then last time.

Die Hard 2 is a great flick with a great cast and writing, and you should watch it NOW.

My only advice is that if you're on a plane and they have this movie in the film selection, don't watch it. It's probably cut by... 1hr, 55m. (p.s. the film is 1hr, 57m)

Rating: 8/10

It might be weird to review Armour of God 2 without watching the first movie, but there's extreme nudity in that one, and the first 2 minutes were weird enough for me to turn off the TV and watch something else.

Starring, written and directed by Jackie Chan

Written by
Edward Tang
Produced by Raymond Chow
Leonard Ho
Starring
Carol Cheng
Eva Cobo de Garcia
Shôko Ikeda (池田昌子)

Synopsis

Asian Hawk (Jackie Chan) -- code name Condor -- is a secret agent for hire. Assigned by a Turkish duke to find stolen Nazi gold buried in the Sahara Desert, Condor must face mercenaries, guards and one remaining Nazi (Aldo Sánchez) who wants the treasure he helped steal all those years ago. Even after teaming up with three inept ladies (Carol "Do Do" Cheng, Eva Cobo de Garcia, Masako Ikeda), Condor still has his work cut out for him on his hunt for the stolen loot.
Review

So, Armour of God 2 is a pretty mediocre movie but the film has a good plot and good fight scenes.
I don't have a lot to say, except in my opinion the film started out a bit boring. Police Story started out with an epic gun-fight, Police Story 2 started with a recap of Police Story, Die Hard started out with hilarious dialogue by McClane and Argyle, Drunken Master started out with a fight, Snake in The Eagle's Shadow started out with comedy, and this movie started out boring.
If you do get your hands on this film, fly away like a condor and watch something else - like Die Hard or Project S.
Oh yeah, there are 3 butts in this movie, so you might wanna stick around for that.
6/10

Directed by and starring Lau Ka Leung

Co-directed by and starring Jackie Chan

Screenplay by

Edward Tang

Tong Man-ming

Yuen Chieh-chi

Produced by

Eric Tsang

Edward Tang

Barbie Tung

Starring

Anita Mui

Ti Lung

Felix Wong

Ho Wing-fong

Chin Ka-lok

Lau Ka-yung

Ram Cheung

Ken Lo

Ho-Sung Pak

Andy Lau

Yvonne Yung

Suki Kwan

Vindy Chan

Release date: February 3, 1994

Synopsis

From a land where honour and tradition reign, comes the legend of a martial-arts hero unlike any other -- the "Drunken Master" -- who can turn just one drink into devastation and humiliation for his enemies. His technique is fast, furious... and powerfully funny. Fei-hung Wong (Jackie Chan), a young martial artist who knows the ways of Drunken Boxing is caught between respecting his pacifist father's wishes or stopping a group of disrespectful foreigners from stealing precious artifacts when Wong Fei-Hung is unwittingly caught in a battle between smugglers who want to steal ancient Chinese artefacts and loyalists who are determined to save the pieces from leaving the country.

Review

Drunken Master II / The Legend of Drunken Master was Jackie Chan's first traditional martial arts film for 12 years since the release of Dragon Lord (1982). While he hadn't done any martial arts films for twelve years, wow. He definetly improved with DRUNKEN MASTER 2!

Drunken Master 2 is the pinnacle of Hong Kong 90s action films right beside the US cut of Supercop (1995). Watching as Chan gets his butt beat, you know he's gonna win but it's super interesting to see. The movie also has an inpeccable soundtrack in both versions, scored by William Hu in the original version and Micheal Wandmacher in the Dimension Films / Miramix re-release.

I'm not saying that Micheal W's is bad, but it's like store-bought pizza. The real thing is better, and in this case the real thing is William Hu's score. Micheal W's score is just "durr insert Asian noises" and so is the original, but because it's about an Asian fighting style. Not to mention it actually uses Asian instruments beautifully. William takes the win.

The movie also teaches a lesson to drinking and all the bad things that happen to Fei-hung (getting beat up, disowned AGAIN just like in Drunken Master 1, and brain damage at the end of Hong Kong's OG version of the film) unlike 1978's Drunken Master, which glorified drinking.

The film shows a lesson, has impeccable music and fight choreography, and a mix of Lau Kar-leung's serious action which is more respectful and accurate to actual Drunken Boxing / Drunken Fist / Drunken Fairy / Drunken Monkey (Jui kuen/Zui quan) Jackie Chan's comedy kung fu.

The movie also has multiple scenes with comedy during fights, like when Kei-ying fought his own son and Fei-Hung started touching his nose and saying "Oh, papa ha ha what a cute nose!" and when Anita Mui's character (Wong Ling) fakes pregnancy to not get her stepson in trouble, and when Fei-hung spits out kerosene on a burning rod and he looks at the flame then to Ken Lo with an impressed face then goes back to beating him up. Same with when Fei Hung throws a gosh-darn temper tantrum right in the middle of the fight and breaks a box then goes back to fighting him, then at the end of the fight Fei hung blows a bubble out his mouth, has a fazed/shocked expression then falls unconscious to the ground.

Anyways, Let us have a non-alchaholic drink to how amazing this movie is.

Think fast. Look alive. Die Hard - with a vengeance.

Directed by John McTiernan

Screenplay by Jonathan Hensleigh

Based on

Simon Says by Jonathan Heinsleigh

Produced by

John McTiernan

Michael Tadross

Starring

Bruce Willis

Jeremy Irons

Samuel L. Jackson

Graham Greene

Colleen Camp

Larry Bryggman

Sam Phillips

Release date: May 19, 1995

May 25, 1995 (Australia)

Synopsis

Detective John McClane (Bruce Willis) is now divorced, alcoholic and jobless after getting fired for his reckless behavior and bad attitude. He is called back into action, however, when a cryptic terrorist (Jeremy Irons) takes New York City hostage in a lethal game of "Simon Says" and refuses to speak with anyone but McClane. Teaming up with a street-savvy electrician named Zeus Carver (Samuel L. Jackson), McClane dashes through the city, trying to stay one step ahead of a murderous plot.

Review

Die Hard 3 is the perfect action movie. Okay, so maybe half the movies I've watched are better then this, but Samuel and Bruce make a great duel, and the fight choreography is amazing in the movie. While the movie is not as good as Die Hard and Die Harder, it still has the same feel and even more awesome scenes. Die Hard 3 is a great recommendation, and if you have nothing better to do, then you should probably be watching this movie.

Rating: 7/10

Produced by and starring Jackie Chan

Directed by Stanley Tong
Written by

Edward Tang
Ma Fibe
Yee Lee Wai
Produced by

Willie Chan
Edward Tang
Leonard Ho

Starring
Michelle Khan
Maggie Cheung
Ken Tsang
Yuen Wah
Bill Tung
Josephine Koo
Wong Siu

Synopsis

To infiltrate a drug cartel, Royal Hong Kong Police Force Inspector Kevin Chan (Jackie Chan) goes undercover in a Chinese prison. There, he earns the trust of Panther (Yuen Wah), a cartel member, by breaking him out of prison. With the help of another undercover agent, Jessica Yang, (Michelle Khan), they travel to Hong Kong and join up with Panther's gang. Ka Kui is accepted by the gang's leader (Ken Tsang), but his operation is jeopardized when Kevin's girlfriend, May (Maggie Cheung) accidentally reveals his true identity.

Review

Supercop is easily the best work in the Police Story series. Jackie Chan and his stunt team went all out on this one.

Unlike First Strike which was overloaded with comedy (like putting too much salt on a food), the comedy in this was funny and subtle.

Anyway, Michelle Khan is a great actress, and this is the movie that introduced me to her. Her movies are insane, and soon enough you'll be seeing more of her on this site (infact, reviews of Supercop 2 and Yes Madam are coming soon)

Super Cop is one of the best Chan films ever. It must have taken months to come up with choreography. Jackie Chan is a legend. This movie is one you wish never ever ended, unlike it's spinoff, Supercop 2, which I gave up on watching after 2 minutes. I'll be watching it again for the sake of the blog.

Not to mention, Dimension Film and Miramax's edit and voice casting choice of films is actually amazing, including this one, and it's actually great they got Chan and Khan to voice for the film.

I'm not exageratting when I say this movie is the best movie of the whole 1990s. Watch it for yourself!

Superheroes? Forget them. We have the one and only Supercop.
10/10

Directed by STANLEY TONG

Written by

Edward Tang

Fibe Ma

Produced by Barbie Tung

Starring

Jackie Chan

Anita Mui

Françoise Yip

Bill Tung

Garvin Cross

Synopsis

Royal Hong Kong Police Force cop Ma Hon Keung (Jackie Chan) arrives in New York City for the wedding of his uncle Bill Wong (Bill Tung), a grocer who recently sold his Bronx store to the fetching Elaine (Anita Mui). After a biker gang bursts into the store to wreak havoc, Keung springs into action, giving up his vacation to defend the weak and protect the innocent with his extraordinary martial arts skills. As Keung investigates local gangs, he learns more about a criminal syndicate that needs to be brought to justice.

Review

So, if I had no expectations from the movie, I wouldn't be dissapointed. But this film introduced Jackie Chan to Americans, and was pretty bad which makes you understand why the American films from Jackie are horrible.

Firstly, Jackie's English prounounciation is pretty cringe (it was even worse back in 1980) but he was still learning English in the 1990s, so I can't blame him.

Secondly, Elaine is an annoying character who fondly reminds me of May from the first 3 Police Stories, who can't understand that Keung is a cop and when arresting bad people, a LOT of things are destroyed in the process of cop heroics. Ever watched Police Story, idiot?

Thirdly, the movie has no funny comedy scenes. A scene where Keung goes into Bill's store and says hi to a random woman thinking that she's his aunt is pretty normal. Until you get the rest of the scene were Bill is married to a black (mildly) obese woman. That scene just felt racist to me. Speaking of racism, all black characters are portrayed as loud annoying individuals, which is annoyingly stereotypical.. most of the time. (Chris Tucker, why?!)

Fourthly, the gang in New York is unrealistic and are bad villians. Tell me, if a movie has villians that aren't criminals would you find it interesting?

Anyways, the only parts of the film I liked were the fight scenes (there were only 2 good ones), the stunt, and the outtakes, which is particularly what I was waiting for.

So, uhh.. Rumble in The Bronx is a terrible cop movie and proves Americans like anything from America.

So here is my way of how to watch the film: Beginning of film, skip to the market fight. Then skip to next fight. Then next fight. Then big stunt. Then next fight. Next stunt. Then outtakes. Finish.

3/10

Directed and written by Stanley Tong

Screenplay by

Nick Tramontane
Greg Mellott
Elliot Tong
Produced by Barbie Tung
Starring
Jackie Chan
Wu fChen-chun
Jackson Lou

Bill Tung

Nonna Grishayeva

Synopsis

A Hong Kong police detective, Jackie (Jackie Chan), works with the CIA to track a mysterious woman named Natasha (Grishajeva Nonna). She is suspected of delivering money to a terrorist, Jackson Tsui (Jackson Liu), who is trying to obtain a nuclear warhead from the Russian mob. Traveling from Hong Kong to the Ukraine to Australia, Chan aims to bust up the terrorist plot using his fists as much as his brains, doing battle underwater, on stilts and across mountain tops.

Review

So the movie was not what I expected, in a good way.

I love this film. It has the same comedy aspect as Project Awhere it makes me wonder if it was promoted as a comedy-action. However, with First Strike there was comedy for most of the scenes, and even during a hotel chase.

The fight scenes in this movie have no comedy, which is great. Your only focus is on the great moves and tricks and hits from Jackie. The movie also has beautiful views from Brisbane, Australia. I live in Sydney, and trust me, in 2023, it doesn't compare to Brisbane in 1995.

First Strike is an amazing film. Want to see an underwater fight, a helicopter stunt, ladder fight, hotel chase and Jackie Chan's butt? First Strike's the way to go.

P.S. this is NOT the first time Jackie Chan fights for America. Rumble in The Bronx existed 2 years before this film.

8/10

Screenplay and story by Ross LaManna

Directed by Brett Ratner

Screenplay by

Jim Kouf

Produced by

Roger Birnbaum

Jonathan Glickman

Arthur M. Sarkissian

Starring

Jackie Chan

Chris Tucker

Tzi Ma

Tom Wilkinson

Ken Leung

Elizabeth Peña

Mark Rolston

Rex Linn

Synopsis

When a Chinese diplomat's daughter is kidnapped in Los Angeles, he calls in Royal Hong Kong Police Force Detective Inspector Yan-Naing Lee (Jackie Chan) to assist the FBI with the case. But the FBI doesn't want anything to do with Lee, and they dump him off on the LAPD, who assign wisecracking Los Angeles Police Department Detective James Carter (Chris Tucker) to watch over him. Although Lee and Carter can't stand each other, they choose to work together to solve the case on their own when they figure out they've been ditched by both the FBI and police.

Review

If you're not a die hard fan of Jackie and haven't seen his Hong Kong movies, this is probably your favourite one from him.

Like Cal from debmul53.tripod.com says, "if Jackie Chan’s Hong Kong films can be compared to Domino’s Pizza (and I think they can), then his American films should be compared to supermarket own-brand frozen pizza. They’re ok, but they’re just not the real thing."

While Jackie Chan is actually funny and has cool fights and stunts in this movie, Chris Tucker is just loud... and funny as hell for that.

The movie's plot is basic and sounds like almost every 90s cop movie from Dimension Films or 20th Century Fox or New Line (who distributed the movie). There's nothing extraordinary about this one. It's kinda funny (at least the bloopers are), got good fight scenes with Chan, and... well... that's about it.

6.8/10

Directed by Barry Sonnenfeld

Written by Ed Solomon

Based on The Men in Black by Lowell Cunningham

Produced by

Walter F. Parkes

Laurie MacDonald

Starring

Tommy Lee Jones

Will Smith

Linda Fiorentino

Vincent D'Onofrio

Rip Torn

Release date: 11 September 1997 (Australia)

Synopsis

They are the best-kept secret in the universe. Working for a highly funded yet unofficial government agency, Kay (Tommy Lee Jones) and Jay (Will Smith) are the Men in Black, providers of immigration services and regulators of all things alien on Earth. While investigating a series of unregistered close encounters, the MIB agents uncover the deadly plot of an intergalactic terrorist who is on a mission to assassinate two ambassadors from opposing galaxies currently in residence in New York City.

Review

Judging from what I've already watched from him, Men in Black is one of Will Smith's best movies. The movie was made out to be a film that focused on the plot in hilarious ways and it worked.

Will Smith is a terrific actor and so is Lee Jones, but Will is the highlight of the film.

Men in Black is a hilarious Sci-Fi film, one of the actual GOOD Sci-Fi movies, and I recommend it.

I'd give it a higher score if I actually remembered more about the film. It's been 4 years since watching it, and I might give it a rewatch.

Hopefully Smith doesn't slap me for not giving it a 10.
Rating: 6/10

Directed by Brett Ratner

Written by Jeff Nathanson

Produced by Roger Birnbaum

Starring Jackie Chan, Chris Tucker, John Lone, Zhang Ziyi

Release date: August 3, 2001

Synopsis

While LAPD Detective James Carter and RHKPF Chief Inspector Lee are vacationing in Hong Kong, a bomb explosion at the US Consulate kills two undercover customs agents. Soon, Lee is assigned to solve the case.

Review

Hate me or not, this film is THE best Rush Hour film so far. Firstly, the humor has become ]
better, Jackie Chan's acting has improved, and the fight choreography is better. Sure, the film is from
the US, but it has Jackie's classic slapstick from his Hong Kong movies, and a big stunt (TWO of
them! ONE DONE BY CHRIS TUCKER!)

Directed by Sam Raimi

Screenplay by David Koepp

Produced by

Laura Ziskin

Ian Bryce

Starring

Tobey Maguire

Willem Dafoe

Kirsten Dunst

James Franco

Cliff Robertson

Rosemary Harris

Release date: May 3, 2002

June 6, 2002 (Australia)

Synopsis

"Spider-Man" centers on student Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) who, after being bitten by a genetically-altered spider, gains superhuman strength and the spider-like ability to cling to any surface. He vows to use his abilities to fight crime, coming to understand the words of his beloved Uncle Ben: "With great power comes great responsibility."

Review

Spider-Man is one of the greatest franchises ever, okay? I've only seen the movies and I love them so much. Tobey Maguire has realistic and great acting and the fight scenes are amazing for a fantasy 2001 movie based off a kids comic book.

I can say that this besides the Avengers is the only superhero franchise I like. LazyTown doesn't count.

Aaanyways, Spider-Man is a faithful adaptation to the comic and you need to watch it. It's not babyish or childish, it's the OPPOSITE.

So swing to the DVD shop and rent the film.

MIIB
irected by Barry Sonnenfeld

Screenplay by

Robert Gordon

Barry Fanaro

Story by Robert Gordon

Based on The Men in Black

by Lowell Cunningham

Produced by

Walter F. Parkes

Laurie MacDonald
Starring

Tommy Lee Jones

Will Smith

Lara Flynn Boyle

Johnny Knoxville

Rosario Dawson

Tony Shalhoub

Rip Torn

Synopsis

Kay (Tommy Lee Jones) and Jay (Will Smith) reunite to provide our best line of defense against a seductress who levels the toughest challenge yet to the MIBs mission statement: protecting the earth from the scum of the universe. While investigating a routine crime, Jay uncovers a plot masterminded by Serleena (Boyle), a Kylothian monster who disguises herself as a lingerie model. When Serleena takes the MIB building hostage, there is only one person Jay can turn to -- his former MIB partner.

Review

I have nothing to say about the film. I have the same feelings about it as with the original Men In Black, but it doesn't add up to the original.

The humor has slightly become less funny.
Rating: 5/10

Directed and produced by Benny Chan

Starring and produced by Jackie Chan

Screenplay by Alan Yuen
Produced by

Willie Chan
Benny Chan
Barbie Tung
Solon So

Starring

Nicholas Tse
Charlie Yeung
Charlene Choi
Daniel Wu
Wang Chieh

Synopsis

Inspector Chan Kwok-Wing (Jackie Chan) was once the shining star of the Hong Kong police force. But that all changed when his unit was slaughtered by a merciless gang of bank robbers -- and Chan turned to the bottle to drown his grief. Now, a year later, a soused Chan is dragged out of his rut by a new partner, Frank Cheng (Nicholas Tse). Together, they hit the streets to redeem Chan's reputation by going after those responsible for the deaths of his fellow officers.

Review

New Police Story is definitely worth watching. Sure, some of the acting is pretty bad which is rare in a Chan movie.. wait.. Police Story 1. Nevermind. Anyways, the film has little to no funny parts, which is rare in a Chan movie, but it still rocks. The film's fight scenes are amazing and the characters were amazingly casted.

The only thing that ticks me off is that they try to make audiences sympathetise for Joe Kwan [the villian] because of how bad his father is.. but no. He's just a jerk. Family or not.

Anyways, New Police Story is very worth your time, and if you DO have time, you should definetly watch it. Darker films don't stop Jackie Chan from making masterpieces. Maybe the comedy is stopping him from reaching his potentional.

9.3/10

Directed by Sam Raimi

Screenplay by Alvin Sargent

Story by

Alfred Gough

Miles Millar

Michael Chabon

Produced by

Laura Ziskin

Avi Arad

Starring

Tobey Maguire

Kirsten Dunst

James Franco

Alfred Molina

Rosemary Harris

Donna Murphy

Synopsis

When a failed nuclear fusion experiment results in an explosion that kills his wife, Dr. Otto Octavius (Alfred Molina) is transformed into Dr. Octopus, a cyborg with deadly metal tentacles. Doc Ock blames Spider-Man (Tobey Maguire) for the accident and seeks revenge. Meanwhile, Spidey's alter ego, Peter Parker, faces fading powers and self-doubt. Complicating matters are his best friend's (James Franco) hatred for Spider-Man and his true love's (Kirsten Dunst) sudden engagement to another man.

Review

I have the same thoughts on Spider-Man 2 as on Spider-Man 1, even though Spider-Man 1 is slightly better, and this one is a bit sadder. The fight scene quality went down a bit in this one, but the film is still good.

So swing your way back home and watch another film.

Directed by Len Wiseman

Screenplay and story by Mark Bomback

Story by David Marconi

Based on "A Farewell to Arms" by John Carlin

Produced by Michael Fottrell

Starring

Bruce Willis

Justin Long

Timothy Olyphant

Mary Elizabeth Winstead

Cliff Curtis

Maggie Q

Release date: June 22, 2007

Release date: August 10, 2007 (Australia)

Synopsis

As the nation prepares to celebrate Independence Day, veteran cop John McClane (Bruce Willis) carries out another routine assignment: bringing in a computer hacker (Justin Long) for questioning. Meanwhile, a tech-savvy villain named Thomas Gabriel (Timothy Olyphant) launches an attack on America's computer infrastructure. As chaos descends around him, McClane must use old-fashioned methods to fight the high-tech threat.

Review

Die Hard 4.0 was produced from 2005-2006, where special effects started to get very advanced, so that's why this movie is loaded with them. Unlike most of my favourite action films (Police Story, Project A, Super Cop), almost half the movie is CGI and VFX and it still manages to be likeable.

The movie is bombarded with funny dialogue between Matt and McClane, which portrayers both have amazing chemistry together.

While the movie is PG-13, you might expect that to impact some of the action, but the only thing it DID impact was the profanity.

Many f-bombs and s-words were cut out but put back in for the Unrated Version.

In Australia, Die Hard 4.0 was released with the PG-13 cut with an M rating, the same as the others in the series (The Australian Classification Board is less strict with regards to language and to a lesser extent, violence). The unrated version was later released on DVD and Blu-ray also with an M rating. The film, notably never released in home media with its theatrical cut, has only been released in Australia as the extended edition.

But despite what version I watched the film in, it was still good and not a disappointment. The fight scenes are still up to the same standard [and a bit better] then in the first three movies.

The quality in this movie has seem to gone up. Old Habits of making a mediocre film Died Hard.

And lastly, the important question - Live free or Die Hard?

Die hard. Definetly.

Directed by Wilson Yip

Written by

Edmond Wong

Chan Tai-lee

Produced by Raymond Wong

Starring

Donnie Yen

Simon Yam

Lynn Hung

Gordon Lam

Fan Siu-wong

Xing Yu

Chen Zhihui

Hiroyuki Ikeuchi

Tenma Shibuya

Release date: 18 December, 2008

January 2009 (Australia)

Synopsis

In 1930s China, a martial artist loses his home after the Imperial Japanese Army invades the country. With little means to survive, he must find a way to sustain his family.

Review

Ip Man is a very serious filmabout horrible crimes the Japanese commited in the time of WW2. Yeah, sure none of it impacts me mentally, but it's still bad.

Anyways, Ip Man's action scenes might not have any life-threatening over the top stunts, but the film does not dissapoint.

It shows a (kinda) accurate description of the life of Ip Man while mixing it with carefully and perfectly choreographed action scenes for this type of film.

The film makes the biography genre amazing to watch, with amazing writing and great acting. This was the film that introduced me to Donnie Yen and the only reason why Jackie Chan isn't the only action star I watch a lot. His films don't dissapoint to and this is an example of it.

Ip Man is a great film, that might be boring at some times with a dull background score, but the film's contents in itself are amazing.

Yeah, Bruce Lee's amazing.. but do you ever think about who taught him?
This is the film about his life.

Directed by Brian Levant

Screenplay and story by Jonathan Bernstein and James Greer

Screenplay by

Jonathan Bernstein

James Greer

Gregory Poirier

Produced by Robert Simonds

Starring

Jackie Chan

Amber Valletta

Madeline Carroll

Will Shadley

Magnús Scheving

Billy Ray Cyrus

George Lopez

Release date: January 15, 2010

25 March, 2010 (Australia)

Synopsis

Bob Ho (Jackie Chan), an undercover operative for the Central Intelligence Agency, decides to give up his career and marry his girlfriend, Gillian (Amber Valletta). First however, he has one more mission to complete: Gain the approval of Gillian's children. Bob volunteers to baby-sit when Gillian is called away, but the operation hits a snag when one of the kids mistakenly downloads a top-secret formula, and Anton Poldark, a Russian terrorist (Magnus Scheving) takes aim at Bob's prospective family.

Review

This film sucks. I can remember a lot from it and have no idea why I liked it.

Firstly, the kids in this movie hate Bob Ho for no reason. Sure he isn't your father, but do you have to make life hard for him? That just triggered me. I always hated seeing the hero hated.

Secondly, the fight scenes in the movie are bombared by childish sound effects that are supposed to be funny. I guess when you're seven it is, but I'm mature [and ten years old] and don't laugh at it at all.

Thirdly, it's a Halloween film. My religion and country prohibit Halloween, but what sucks is that the film doesn't even foreshadow it being October. Once I saw everyone in costumes and trick-or-treating, I was like- 'Huh? It's Halloween?'

Lastly - about 20 or 35 minutes worth of this 94 minute film are actually funny and possible to laugh at. The other are not.

The only thing that makes it good is Jackie Chan's charm and Magnus Scheving's performance. Not to mention the ending credits, which have bloopers funnier then the film.

But when you think of it as a film to have a good time with and not take too seriously, you can find it pretty good, if you have a mental illness.

Directed by Taika Waititi

Written by Eric Pearson

Craig Kyle

Christopher L. Yost

Produced by Kevin Feige

Starring

Chris Hemsworth

Tom Hiddleston

Cate Blanchett

Idris Elba

Jeff Goldblum

Tessa Thompson

Karl Urban

Mark Ruffalo

Anthony Hopkins

Release date: November 3, 2017

October 13: 2017 (Australia)

Synopsis

Imprisoned on the other side of the universe, the mighty Thor finds himself in a deadly gladiatorial contest that pits him against the Hulk, his former ally and fellow Avenger. Thor's quest for survival leads him in a race against time to prevent the all-powerful Hela from destroying his home world and the Asgardian civilization.

Review

This film is amazing. Trust me. You need to watch it.

First of all - the fight scene between Hulk and Thor was veeery nerve-racking and amazing, because it wasn't eye-candy, it literally added to the plot.

Secondly - The film is amazingly funny, and I can't believe it wasn't promoted as a comedy film. Half of the serious scenes have comedy added to them at inappropriate times and they turn out to be the best part of the film.

Also, Chris Hemsworth.

Rating: 9/10