Ingmar Bergman collection or Three Colour trilogy?

Tools    

Unregistered User
If you had a choice between buying the Ingmar Bergman collection containing:-
Passion of Anna
The Serpents Egg
Hour of the wolf
Shame

or

The Three Colours trilogy

Which one would you pick?
Both near enough the same price on DVD and would be watching both for the first time.

Cheers

Can't speak for the Bergman collection as I haven't seen those films. But I just finished watching the Three Colors trilogy for the first time the other night, and I absolutely loved it and would recommend it to anyone. Three Colors: Red completely blew me away.

Are you a fan of Bergman or have you not seen any of his films yet? If you haven't, I'd recommend watching one of his films before blind-buying one of his boxsets.

Unregistered User
Can't speak for the Bergman collection as I haven't seen those films. But I just finished watching the Three Colors trilogy for the first time the other night, and I absolutely loved it and would recommend it to anyone. Three Colors: Red completely blew me away.

Are you a fan of Bergman or have you not seen any of his films yet? If you haven't, I'd recommend watching one of his films before blind-buying one of his boxsets.
Cheers Sinny. No i am yet to watch Bergman but they sound like something i would enjoy. Good shout though, i'll probably take your advice and go for the colours trilogy, can pick it up for just under £15 i think which isnt too shabby at all.
Have you watched any Bergman? Any suggestions which one to watch first?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
If you haven't seen any Bergman film, a decision to buy a box of his less known films may be too hasty. You should start from either Persona, Wild Strawberries or The Seventh Seal. Three Colours Trilogy looks like a great starting point for anyone wishing to get to know Kieślowski. Just make sure to watch his other films after that. Amator and Przypadek are really interesting flicks. Dekalog mini-series is magnificent as well.

As much as I love Bergman, go for the Three Colours Box Set. That Bergman set doesn't contain any of his best work in my eyes except for the fantastic Shame. The Serpent's Egg is one of his worst films and you don't want to start there...

If you want to see Ingmar Bergman films, then start with some that Mr. Minio recommended, especially Wild Strawberries. I think Wild Strawberries was the very first Bergman film I saw, wonderful film for an introduction.

Another vote for Three Colours, though I wouldn't bother with Bergman anyway and I love the trilogy, so I'm extremely bias.

BTW, if you have Sky Arts, they show Three Colours.