28 Days Later

→ in
Tools    

No, not a sequel to the Sandra Bullock rehab dramedy, this is Danny Boyle's boiled-down twist on the Zombie genre.

London, modern day. The movie opens on some animal rights activists on a late-night raid of a primate lab of some sort. Before they can release the monkeys from their cages, a technician warns them, pleading not to let them go, that they are infected and highly contagious. Alas, the monkeys are freed, and a pendemic that almost instantly turns humans into raging beasts is unleashed.

Twenty-eight days later, a young man who had suffered an accident and went into a coma before the virus hit the streets, awakens alone in a deserted hospital. He soon realizes all of London is deserted. Well, not quite deserted. Roaming murderous zombies still rule in darkness what is left of the shell of civilization, and one single drop of their blood or saliva will infect. The few non-infected survivors do battle and try to find a way out of this apocalyptic nightmare.

That's the set-up for 28 Days Later, a rip-roaring fun - yet also understated and low-tech - movie that has already played theatrically last year and even been released on video in the U.K., and will hit American screens this summer.

The sci-fi explanation of the zombies makes it all the more interesting, especially in this age of SARS, Mad Cow Disease, the West Nile Virus, and every other micro-assault on the planet. The narrative is economical, shot very convincingly on DV, and engrossing as it follows a handful of characters through this unlikely but remotely possible scenario. All the genre tension and gore of a good Zombie flick is in tact, but there are more levels to it than simply a monster movie. The third act, where our small band comes in contact with some gung-ho military blokes who have a stronghold at a countryside estate, saves it from being only about the Zombies, and makes for a very satisfying finale.

28 Days Later is a return to form for director Danny Boyle, who after hitting two home runs with the dark and brilliant Hitchcokian funfest Shallow Grave (1994) and the stlyish and uncompromising look at Heroin addicts Trainspotting (1996), had struggled since with the lame would-be lovers on the run road comedy A Life Less Ordinary (1997) and the silly potboiler The Beach (2000). After a few short films in the interim, Boyle has returned to good movie making here.

The cast is headed by mostly unknowns, which adds creedence to the low-budget aproach. Christopher Eccleston, who was so terrific in Shallow Grave and has since gone on to become a welcome gaunt character actor in the likes of The Others, eXistenZ and 24 Hour Party People, is quite strong as the leader of the military bunker. Brendan Gleeson is the other recognizeable face, who has been working a lot lately from Mission: Impossble 2 and Lake Placid to Dark Blue and The Tailor of Panama to A.I. and Gangs of New York. The rest of the cast are much less familiar, but all do good work, especially Cillian Murphy in the lead as the coma survivor who awakens into Hell, Naomie Harris as the strong sword-wielding beauty, and Megan Burns as the youngest of the uninfected.

I'd like to think it'll have a chance when released in mid-June in the U.S., as a well-made, low-budget, genre alternative to the Hollywood FX-fests out there. But if it does make any dent at the boxoffice at all, it'll have to be through word of mouth, as the T3s have their built-in audience and overloaded marketing. 28 Days Later is a good little movie. Pass it on.

Grade: B+
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally posted by Holden Pike
28 Days Later is a return to form for director Danny Boyle, who after hitting two home runs with the brilliant Hitchcokian funfest Shallow Grave and [i]
I dub this Premature Threadjaculation.

Yes, after losing the long Munchausen post early this week, I've become paranoid, and find it easier to compose in stages.

So sue me. It's much better for me than throwing the mouse across the room after 45-minutes worth of writing flushes into the internet netherworld.

It was beauty killed the beast.
Kong thought that the first 20 minutes or so of the film were really great, and the rest was simply good.

*** of ****

Holden, did you dislike Megan Burns' performance as well?

No, I thought Megan Burns did an OK job. She had the least to do of that core group of four, but she did good enough for me. I like the deleted scene where she picks up the gun at the end, and kinda wish it ended that way.

Hi
I................can't..............wait

How scary is the movie? I've been waiting a long, long time for a horror movie to actually scare me. House of 1000 Corpses was one of the biggest disappointments ever to me. I had been waiting to see that movie for sooo long and then when me and my friends went and saw it we just laughed at how cheesy it was. So I hope this one will be a little better.

I just watched this film today and I thought that it was great . Briliant to see England deserted like that. The only thing that I did'nt like in this film was the main character wakes up on a hospital bed in the buff, starkas,stark bollock naked , I dont know about you guy's but they could have at least put a pair of pants on him or something. .

Yes. God forbid we should have to suffer through seeing a man's dirty, dirty penis in a movie. You've got issues, Dude.

As for how "scary" 28 Days Later is, that'll depend entirely on the person, of course. For me, I haven't been scared by a movie since I was about eleven or twelve, so I'd have to say no, it's not terribly frightening.

That is, unless you have a hang-up about glimpsing a flacid dick for eight or nine second's worth of screentime.

Kong wasn't frightened, but he did find the story interesting and engaging which is far better than scary anyways.

Kong isn't particularly bothered by onscreen weiners.

Originally posted by Kong
Kong isn't particularly bothered by onscreen weiners.
You must be an Andrew McCarthy fan.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally posted by LordSlaytan

You must be an Andrew McCarthy fan.
His weiner is in a film?

You people are weiner addicts. I can watch almost anything on film but another blokes weiner sorry but not for me.

And yes holden pike I do have issues but they are between me and my mental hospital, thank you.

Originally posted by Frank-thing
You people are weiner addicts. I can watch almost anything on film but another blokes weiner sorry but not for me.

And yes holden pike I do have issues but they are between me and my mental hospital, thank you.
What is it about weiners that upsets you so much? Did you have a bad experience with one?

So Kong, youre telling me you like to see mens weiners in life, I'm starteing to think that you have issues instead of me.

And no I have never came in contact with another man's weiner in my life to have had a bad experiance . But you can all look at as many weiners as you all want, it doesnt bother me, all I was sayeing was that I didnt like that scene. Think about it he was suppost to be in a coma, how many people have you seen in hospital in a coma in the buff lying on top of the bed. Ho no its the end of the world but lets first take this blokes clothes off and leave him on a bed for all of the zombies to lauth at . I'm sorry but there was no need for this part in the film ???.

Please no more weiner jokes, because people will think that they have stumbled on a different site all together. .

I've never seen the movie, so I'm not the guru of knowledge on it. But had it been, say, a naked woman, you wouldn't be complaining about it. A little insecure about our sexuality, are we?

Originally posted by Henry The Kid
I've never seen the movie, so I'm not the guru of knowledge on it. But had it been, say, a naked woman, you wouldn't be complaining about it. A little insecure about our sexuality, are we?
Exactly.

It's wierd that men flaunt phallic symbols to the public all the time, but as soon as a real phallus pops onscreen for 2 seconds they act like they're going to throw up. If you're comfortable with your own pee-pee and your own sexuality then seeing someone else's ding-dong shouldn't be that traumatic.

Like you said you havent seen the movie so you dont know what you are talking about. And what's all that about being insecure about our sexuality, are we, All I said was that I didnt like the scene, It doesnt make any sence ?.

look you all can look at as many blokes todgers as you wish, what ever turnes you on, infact you might be a little insecure about your sexuality, I dont know. All I am sayeing is that the scene didnt need him to be starkas.