What did you think of Memoirs Of A Geisha (2005)?

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
@ynwtf: Wait, what? You wrote a full-length serious post that makes a good point? You're evolving, my dude!
damn it, I can't help it. Mr (no period) Minio
Well, I don't have periods. I'm not a girl!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Yeah I see your point of the movie wanting to romanticize it, and I am able to get behind other movies that romanticize similar topics. For example, I got behind the romanticizing in Slumdog Millionaire all the way. I guess I just wasn't able to get behind the romanticizing of this story for some reason, and was held back for some reason.

But why is Japanese culture all happy, about this lifestyle? I mean the woman is kidnapped as a child, separated from her sister by these people, and then her lifelong mission, is to become one of these same people, and is all too happy to do it. If that is part of Japanese culture, it comes off as very contradictory, and I just don't understand it.
This movie is an American movie it's not a Japanese movie.

It's not realistic and is not supposed to be (and can't even be considering it was made by Americans based on a novel written by a guy born in Tennessee). It is a fantasy movie essentially which is as realistic as superhero movies. Hence, it is an American fantasy movie that is set in a place that the movie calls "Japan" so it doesn't provide any real information about actual Japanese culture and has no real relationship with it.

So, you should email that Tennessee writer of the novel about why his characters are happy or sad.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Okay thanks, I understand it's not a Japanese movie, and that it was written by a guy in Tenessee, but even a superhero movie like The Dark Knight, or Spider-man 2, or whatever, the heroes are taking it seriously and not all sunshine and rainbows for a lot of the story.

But I guess I thought since the story is set in a serious desperate times setting, that kind of changes how I would interpret it as well.