Favorite "Chick Flicks"

Tools    

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Not sure if these are ones but all 3 american pie movies?

martian leader
Wow, no. The American Pie movies are most definitely not chick flicks. lol.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Have you seen TAKING 5 its the this comedy about some girls stuck in "social suicide" for messing up a contest their school was in. So they decided to redeem themselves by kidnapping a band. Sounds kinda weird I know but check it out.

check this out

Clueless is one of the very few 'chick flicks' i can endure due to it's very witty script and great performance by one time sex symbol Alicia Silverstone.

I am the Nightrider!
I don't consider Ghost a chick-flick, but a majority of filmgoers seem to think so. But, I enjoy it...it's a well-written, supernatural love story. I didn't think it deserved to be nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars, but I was happy when it won for Original Screenplay, though it wouldn't of been my ultimate choice that year.

-UJ

A PHD in Whiskey and Stonerology
One thing that's always bothered me is that people seem to equate the term "chick flick" with love stories in general. A) This prevents a lot of people from seeing films that they would otherwise enjoy and B), it's just plain incorrect. To me, "chick flick" denotes a movie that focuses more on women characters then on men, that is also shallow in terms of maturity and depth-of-story, and that generally focuses on relationships between men and women. (And this raises another issue: many women are in fact not fans of chick flicks.) Now I'm sure, reading that last point regarding relationships, some part of you is going to be thinking: "Hypocrite. You just said that there's a difference between chick flicks and love stories." Well yes, I did, but I'm not being a hypocrite. A film can focus on romantic relationships between people without being a love story. Let's see... here's a nice grouping of examples. 1) The Last of the Mohicans: A love story? Certainly. A chick flick? Absolutely not. 2) Sex and the City: A love story? No. A chick flick? Most definitely. But, see, Sex and the City still focuses on romantic relationships. I guess my point here is that a love story requires a certain depth of connection and feeling before it becomes such.

So back to my original point, people equate love stories and chick flicks far too often. Some of you are listing love stories, some of you are listing chick flicks. Speaking from experience, quite a few guys are going to be turned off from a movie the instant it is described as being a chick flick. So basically I'm urging some careful consideration here, on the part of those of us responding to the OP and on the part of the OP him/herself. What is this thread really about? Is it about chick flicks, or is it about love stories? If it's about chick flicks, I don't have any favorites. I cannot stomach them. If it is about loves stories, then I do have a few that I can share.

Love Stories:

1) The Last of the Mohicans

2) Gone With the Wind

3) Lars and the Real Girl

4) City of God

I love Simon Birch.It is probably the only chick flick I will watch other than Unfaithful.That movie is something else.

If the central storyline of a given movie is a romantic relationship and I'm ashamed to admit I like that movie, chances are it's a chick flick. One movie that I'm embarrassed to say fits this criteria is Dirty Dancing. I don't know who to point the finger of blame at. Jennifer Gray with her spicy girl-next-door charms? Or the Swayze with that smoldering sexuality of his that carried him through the eighties? I don't know. I am pretty sure it wasn't the dancing though. The only dancing scene that really got my attention was the famous one where Jen's crawling on the floor and they're both lip synching "Love is Strange". Some uncomfortable honesty coming now, I also really liked the story. It was like one of those cheesy romance novels written for middle school girls (not that I know anything about those) but with the Swayze. Kind of got to me...

I fear I may have divulged too much.

I watched Bride Wars with my mom two weeks ago, and I would say that is one awesome Chick Flick ...I would watch it again

Are there any girls/ladies/women that have seen, but don't like any of the following:

Pretty Woman
Grease
Dirty Dancing

I'm pretty sure that Mamma Mia! will soon be joining that list.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Are there any girls/ladies/women that have seen, but don't like any of the following:

Pretty Woman
Grease
Dirty Dancing

I'm pretty sure that Mamma Mia! will soon be joining that list.
I love the last two, can't stand the first. With the exception of Steel Magnolias, I can't think of any Julia Roberts film that I liked.

I haven't seen Mamma Mia! and have absolutely no desire to, even though musicals are one of my favorite genres. It's probably because Meryl Streep rubs me the wrong way more than anything else.

Clueless has been mentioned a couple of times and I really like that movie. A few others would be Terms Of Endearment, Moonstruck, Father of the Bride and most John Hughes movies.

My favorite chick flick (unfortunately for my boyfriend who hates it) is Funny Girl. Barbara is the queen of chick flicks and this one is tops.

I haven't seen Mamma Mia! and have absolutely no desire to, even though musicals are one of my favorite genres. It's probably because Meryl Streep rubs me the wrong way more than anything else.
I'm pretty sure that, if you tell her you don't like that, she'll stop.