Best non english language film

Tools    

This is a list for all those who want to know some good non english language films

1 ****ing Åmål
2 Wo hu cang long
3 Cinema Paradiso
4 Lilja 4-ever
5 Les amants de pont neuf
6 Stalingrad
7 Nikita
8 Hrafninn flýgur
9 Elvira Madigan
10 Mitt liv som Hund
11 Pelle erobreren

Ever?

1. The Seventh Seal (1957 - Ingmar Bergman)
2. Rashomon (1950 - Akira Kurosawa)
3. Jules & Jim (1962 - Francois Truffaut)
4. Aguirre, Wrath of God (1971 - Werner Herzog)
5. Ikiru (1952 - Akira Kurosawa)
6. Z (1969 - Costa-Gavras)
7. Solaris (1972 - Andrei Tarkovsky)
8. Wings of Desire (1987 - Wim Wenders)
9. The Conformist (1971 -Bernardo Bertolucci)
10. The Grand Illusion (1937 - Jean Renoir)

Of the past fifteen years, I'd say...

1. Wings of Desire (1987 - Wim Wenders)
2. Amelie (2001 - Jean-Pierre Jeunet)
3. Three Colors Trilogy (1993 & 1994 - Krzysztof Kieslowski)
4. Cinema Paradiso (1988 - Giuseppe Toroatore)
5. Run Lola Run (1999 - Tom Tykwer)
6. Delicatessen (1991 - Caro & Jeunet)
7. Dreams (1990 - Akira Kurosawa)
8. Camille Claudel (1988 - Bruno Nuytten)
9. Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (1988 - Pedro Almodovar)
10. Insomnia (1997 - Erik Skjoldbjaerg)

Also, check out THIS thread.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Pike i chosed the films i have seen and liked as you well know all movie lists tend to be subjective not objective.

Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
I don't recall his saying that your list wasn't subjective...
I just felt embarrased when he listed some films i had seen but not been able to remember when i made my list

Fighting out of the Lions Den
My *1 choice would go to "Das Boot" .

Kudos also to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon/ Run Lola Run & The City of the Lost Children .

I`ve yet to see the much applauded Amelie , but I`ve got a feeling I`ll really enjoy it when I do.

Ah, Johnny has beaten me to the chase. I amutterly shocked that Holden didn't mention Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon! That is one of my favorites movies, ever! I absolutely love the Kung-Fu in that one.

Fighting out of the Lions Den
Originally posted by Gracie
[b]Ah, Johnny has beaten me to the chase.
We`ll put it down to that 5 hr time difference yet again then.

and still you dont seem to have seen Hrafninn flýgur an excelletn movie from Iceland.

I only didn't mention Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon because I utterly hated that movie and was completely bored by it. It wouldn't be on my list of top one-hundred foreign language films.

But good catch! Thanks for noticing.

Originally posted by Holden Pike
I only didn't mention Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon because I utterly hated that movie and was completely bored by it. It wouldn't be on my list of top one-hundred foreign language films.

But good catch! Thanks for noticing.
Why did you hate that movie try to see it again and try to see the poetic in the movie not just the action sequences.

Me myself like this forum and i decided to stay and i wonder how many others swedes it is in this forum ??

Seraph of the Void
One I personally like is

Le Pacte des Loups

It may not be the best foreign film, but it's got style.
"When I said my quarters were cold, I did not mean "Oh, I think it is a little chilly in here. Perhaps I'll throw a blanket on the bed." No! I said it was cold! As in, "Oh look - my left arm has snapped off like an icicle and shattered on the floor!"

Originally posted by AzhrarnX
One I personally like is

Le Pacte des Loups

It may not be the best foreign film, but it's got style.
Tell me more about the movie then???

I didn't find Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon to be at all poetic. Well, not good poetry anyway, and there's nothing quite as tedious as really bad poetry. I found the movie to be pretentious and badly written and, again, mostly just duller than dishwater. If it were only 85-minutes of those ridiculous flying-wire action scenes I wouldn't have hated it nearly as much as I did. I still would have dismissed it, but I wouldn't have been as vehemntly put off. The cinematography and the score were beautiful, but otherwise I didn't enjoy one single aspect of that flick.

And as far as Swedes go, you may well be our only currently-actively posting participant.

By the way, do you like Ingmar Bergman's work, or being from Sweden do you get him out of your system fairly early? For me The Seventh Seal is as stunning on the fiftieth viewing as it is on the first.

Holden Pike I dismiss Bergman and i dont like his movies at all.
I like Lukas Modysson the director behind Show me love and the new Lilja 4-ever

Actually, you'r not the only one. There's a guy on here called Vetinari. He's the one with a picutre of a baby with a football-shaped head. Relay, I don't remeber you saying whether or not you liked Crouching Tiger. Do you mind restating your opinion, if you've already stated it?

Originally posted by Gracie
Actually, you'r not the only one. There's a guy on here called Vetinari. He's the one with a picutre of a baby with a football-shaped head. Relay, I don't remeber you saying whether or not you liked Crouching Tiger. Do you mind restating your opinion, if you've already stated it?
I like Crouching Tiger hidden dragon but i dont like Fanny and Alexander.

Many of Bergmans movies are made in a way and mood and dont like. It is like all swedes are like that in the mood. That is wrong very wrong.

I think in general that Bergman are overrated and have nothing more to come with.

Actually, I don't really know who Bergman is, so I guess I'll have to take your word for it, huh?

i happen to love the seventh seal, and bergman's movies in general, but my fave would actually have to be wild strawberries.
so...i guess i'll limit it to 1 per director, and no animation, just to be fair.
ever:
1. wild strawberries (ingmar bergman)
2. aguirre: the wrath of god (directed by werner herzog, not klaus kinski, holden! )
3. tokyo story (yasujiro ozu)
4. seven beauties (lina wertmuller)
5. report on the party and the guests (jan nemec)
6. faust (jan svankmajer)
7. men with guns (john sayles (even though he's an american))
8. ugetsu (kenji mizoguchi)
9. m (fritz lang)
10. el topo (though i'm actually not sure if a non english dubbed version still exists...)-(alejandro jodorowsky)
11. red beard (the obligatory akira kurosawa entry)

of the past 10 years (same rules as above):
1. men with guns
2. faust
3. to live
4. tokyo fist
5. hate
6. the eel
7. the blue kite
8. undo
9. minbo
10. amelie/chungking express (tied for last)

I love John Sayles' Men with Guns too, one of his very best for me (which is saying a lot). Didn't quite make my top ten of recent years, but it'd be right up there. I saw it at an advanced screening back in 1997 and was just blown away by it. I bought the VHS tape when it went el cheapo on Blockbuster's previously viewed rack (though it didn't seem as if it had been viewed at all), but it still desperately needs an R1 DVD release. I'm not surprised of course that it never got any mainstream attention - especially being primarily not in English (save for Mandy Patinkin's funny cameos - "What's the [Spanish] word for 'fajitas'?"), but it's a damn shame just the same.

And I finally caught my own Aguirre mistake about twenty minutes before you pointed it out, thanks just the same. I know of course it it Werner Herzog who directed the movie - he's one of my all-time favorite filmmakers, but Kinski so much is that movie I guess I unconsciously typed his name initially.